deep screw shot question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• deep screw shot question

how do some pros keep their cue down to the table instead of the cue lifting up in the air when performing table-length deep screw shots with an open bridge?

Hi kflps,

I suggest you have a look at YouTube for your answer as I find trying to explain technique in words is hard to do and easily misunderstood .
    There are loads of tutorials on there but two channels I personally like are from Barry Stark and Barton Snooker.
    The other option if it’s viable is to get some quality personal or group coaching .

Comment

They don't hit the ball as hard as us to get the same spin. Deep screw into baulk from a long red/ shot to nothing, you do still see pros cue lift up. Trump springs to mind. Check out 2:58:50 and 3:09:18 here as a couple of examples

https://youtu.be/Cx2gI-oajyM

Comment

Another thing you have to bear in mind is the difference in the reaction to a club table and a pro table . You get far more reaction on a pro table . Of course you still need to get through the ball to get deep screw on both.
        What you do with the cue once the stroke had been completed is irrelevant. If Judd lifts his cue it will be after he made contact with the cue ball with correct technique and got through the cue ball .

Comment

Originally Posted by Mark187187 View Post
          They don't hit the ball as hard as us to get the same spin. Deep screw into baulk from a long red/ shot to nothing, you do still see pros cue lift up. Trump springs to mind. Check out 3:09:18 here as an example

https://youtu.be/Cx2gI-oajyM
          yes but there are some other pros like ding junhui who play deep screw shots without the cue lifting up in the air.i don't know how they do that.

Comment

Originally Posted by kflps View Post

yes but there are some other pros like ding junhui who play deep screw shots without the cue lifting up in the air.i don't know how they do that.
            It almost like a ‘release of energy’ and an exaggeration of the cue action used to achieve the shot. There is so much tension and build up to a deep screw shot (for me anyway) that after the tip strikes the cue ball and you push the cue all the way through the shot past the chest, rather than just coming to a dead stop the cue tends to leave the bridge hand and your body lifts with all the force and momentum of the shot, and every last bit of energy is released. Like you gave it everything type of feeling.....

Some players like Ding tend to be very robotic with their cue action, I would argue this probably would restrict his ability to screw back as far as Judd and co.. Ding tends to come to a stop with his tip touching the cloth slightly.

Interestingly in a tutorial from Steven Lee he describes hitting the white almost like a golfer tries to get zip on a golf ball. Coming in with the butt raised and hitting down on the cue ball with a sort of chop action to create backspin! Not something to try on a newly clothed table! And totally the opposite to how deep screw shots are taught.

Comment

The late great Alex Higgins always looked like he had massive movement on every shot ,screw or not ,but when you look at his action in slow motion when he hit the ball he was pretty solid and still at impact .Ray Reardon on the other hand had head movement on every shot as he hit the ball ,there is an old video on you tube with Clive Everton where Reardon shows you how to make a century break ,it’s very informative and you can see how much he moves .Not everyone looks like a text book pro life Davis or Hendry .Pro conditions and cloths do mean you don’t have to hit the ball ad hard ,but each player will still look the same no matter what table they play on ,and as Steve says once the cue has gone through it makes little difference .

Comment

The late great Alex Higgins always looked like he had massive movement on every shot ,screw or not ,but when you look at his action in slow motion when he hit the ball he was pretty solid and still at impact .Ray Reardon on the other hand had head movement on every shot as he hit the ball ,there is an old video on you tube with Clive Everton where Reardon shows you how to make a century break ,it’s very informative and you can see how much he moves .Not everyone looks like a text book pro life Davis or Hendry .Pro conditions and cloths do mean you don’t have to hit the ball ad hard ,but each player will still look the same no matter what table they play on ,and as Steve says once the cue has gone through it makes little difference .

Comment

It might be because I'm an 80 year old wrinkley and have missed something here but, I think that the O/P is referring to lifting the butt of the cue to play the shot and not what is done with the cue after the shot has been played.
                  When I play a screw shot at my club, my opponent usually says that I should be lifting the butt but I always play the shot with my cue parallel to the table.

Forgive me if I am barking up the wrong tree here.

Comment

Flatten the bridge hand (so that tip addresses the cue ball at low point)
                    keep cue parallel
                    Keep head (and everything else still)
                    Slightly longer backswing
                    Nice Loose grip

The loose grip is key for me which is something I took from Pottr who probably has the best deep screw shot i've seen from an amateur.
                    Points above RE our tables being different to pro tables are completely valid, we can't expect the same results, well maintained star tables are easier to play these shots on.
                    "just tap it in":snooker:

Comment

Nice post Tom, says it all for me. Getting the cue to do the work is the secret but it's very hard to stop yourself thinking it's about hitting things harder, when it's really about cueing things better.
                      This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                      https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

You can rely on Tom to explain it better than most ...
                        Spot on about the grip being important .:culpability:

Comment

Originally Posted by kflps View Post
                          how do some pros keep their cue down to the table instead of the cue lifting up in the air when performing table-length deep screw shots with an open bridge?
                          They dont "HIT" the cue ball, they cue through it with timing.
                          ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

1. loose grip
                            2. cueing flat
                            3. long backswing
                            4. pure strike from elbow(shoulder hinged)
                            5. timing

Comment

I have a new cloth fitted on my heated table and i can tell you i play screw shots effortless now. The difference with a club table is beyond imagination really.
                              https://youtu.be/KmDjvngR5Ck

Comment

Working...
                              X