visual perception error/distortion of the line of aim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• visual perception error/distortion of the line of aim

i think this is my biggest reason for not being able to place the cue bang on the line of aim consistently.
    as i'm getting down on the shot,when it LOOKS like the cue is dropping down directly over the line of aim,in reality the cue is heading to the left of the line and when i'm down on the shot,i find out that the cue is across the line,to my left.

i've tried to drop with the cue more to the right of the line as a compensation but it doesn't really work,probably because you need to be very precise with this as you are getting down.
    i will also try to get down and drop the cue where my visual perception shows me is directly over the shot line as i did before (which in reality is to the left of the line) but this time as soon as my bridge hand touches the table and i'm down on the shot,i will make a small micro-adjustment of the bridge hand and move it by 1-2 mm to my right and see if it works.

does anybody else have similar distortions/visual perception issues?how should i go about fixing this?

Originally Posted by kflps View Post
    i think this is my biggest reason for not being able to place the cue bang on the line of aim consistently.
    as i'm getting down on the shot,when it LOOKS like the cue is dropping down directly over the line of aim,in reality the cue is heading to the left of the line and when i'm down on the shot,i find out that the cue is across the line,to my left.

i've tried to drop with the cue more to the right of the line as a compensation but it doesn't really work,probably because you need to be very precise with this as you are getting down.
    i will also try to get down and drop the cue where my visual perception shows me is directly over the shot line as i did before but this time as soon as my bridge hand touches the table and i'm down on the shot,i will make a small micro-adjustment of the bridge hand and move it by 1-2 mm to my right and see if it works.

does anybody else have similar distortions/visual perception issues?how should i go about fixing this?
    Could be a dominant eye issue?? Perhaps when your stood up behind the shot lining it up and your further away everything looks correct, but once your down on the shot the dominant eye takes over more because your now closer to the balls and this is now where the shot looks wrong? I’m assuming if you just do this on a straight shot that you have setup perfectly straight then you keep consistently missing to the right?

Using the baulk line is handy for trying to correct straight cueing because its a straight line that you can actually see. Determine which is your dominant eye if you don’t already know, place the white on the green spot and you want to be playing a straight shot along the brown and yellow spot, off the cushion and back along all three spots. Stand back from the shot and line it up as you normally would, then close the none dominant eye, does the shot still look right? Straight? If not then adjust until it does, now walk into the shot and don’t worry about placing your foot on the line of the shot, just let it naturally do want it wants, just focus on keeping the line of the shot straight and drop your head down onto the cue, now without micro adjusting anything just play a nice slow pace shot along the spots and try not to put any side onto the ball. Try this a several times and see if it makes any difference?

You practice this in the same way without any balls just using the baulk line, just pretend to play a shot same as above but see where you cue tip finishes, it should be straight on the line during the feathers and after you play the shot.

Comment

After this you could try making your own sighting guide out of a sheet of paper! Get a sheet of A4, draw a straight line down the middle lengthways. Then fold the paper in half so the two ends of the line now touch and make a good crease in the paper. Then make another fold about and inch away and parallel with the previous one and just fold the paper in both direction until it flaps about a little bit. Then unfold the paper lay it flat on the table with the line facing up, now where the first centre fold is you want to raise that up to create a triangle shape sticking upwards! Now this is your line of aim, stand behind the shot and the line on the paper should look straight? If it has a kink in it then you need to adjust yourself until it looks straight. Try this a few times placing two balls at either end of the line as if you where hitting a straight shot into say the middle pocket. You can probably even play the shot, the paper will just flip down out of the way.

Once you’ve mastered simple shots into the middle, try moving the object ball further away and maybe introduce an angle?

Comment

sorry about the 1 year-late reply but i had to give up playing snooker/pool because of this frustrating alignment issue..

i have made the sighting guide with the sheet of paper in my home and when i'm in the standing position the line on the paper looks straight when i line it up even-sighted with the middle of my chin above the line but when i'm down on the shot with a cue,the cue looks slightly angled to my left if i place it in the middle of the chin and the cue looks straight only if i place it somewhere around the inside corner of my left eye.

so i think the two possible scenarios are that either that i need to align the middle of my chin from the standing position and then as i get down i need to cut across the line of aim with my head slightly and place the cue under my left eye or that i need to be more precise in aligning my left eye SLIGHTLY from the standing position and be careful to not overdo it and then drop straight down on the shot and keep the cue under the inside-corner of the left eye when i'm down.

and then there is a third scenario,maybe i didn't fold the sheet of paper comletely straight,so the line drawn in the paper wasn't completely straight when i was looking at it from the standing position..
        Last edited by kflps; 10 October 2021, 04:14 PM.

Comment

sorry about the 1 year-late reply but i had to give up playing snooker/pool because of this frustrating alignment issue..

i have made the sighting guide with the sheet of paper in my home and when i'm in the standing position the line on the paper looks straight when i line it up even-sighted with the middle of my chin above the line but when i'm down on the shot with a cue,the cue looks slightly angled to my left if i place it in the middle of the chin and the cue looks straight only if i place it somewhere around the inside corner of my left eye.

so i think the two possible scenarios are that either that i need to align the middle of my chin from the standing position and then as i get down i need to cut across the line of aim slightly and place the cue under my left eye or that i need to be more precise in aligning my left eye SLIGHTLY from the standing position and be careful to not overdo it and then drop straight down on the shot and keep the cue under the inside-corner of the left eye when i'm down.

and then there is a third scenario,that i didn't fold the sheet of paper comletely straight,so the line drawn in the paper wasn't completely straight when i was looking at it from the standing position..

Comment

Working...
          X