What is the "natural angle"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the "natural angle"

Hi silly question, but assuming the cue ball deflection angle is slightly different depending on exactly how high you hit above centre. What height are players referring to when they say the natural deflection angle?

Deflection should only occur when using side. Hitting the white anywhere up or down the centre of the cue ball will not cause deflection on the angle of the shot. There is no natural deflection angle, only a natural "plain ball" angle.

Deflection will vary from player to player depending on their cue flex, tip and ferrule type.
    ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Might be wrong here but I think the poster might not be referring to deflection. Barry Stark has a nice video where he shows the different angles the cue ball will come off the cushion depending on where you hit the white eg top, middle, bottom. From memory he hits about 8 different positions on the white, up and down the cue ball (no side). I'll see if I find the video and post it up.
      https://youtube.com/watch?v=pA_6L7Kas1I&feature=share Think this is it.
      Last edited by Nifty50; 16 July 2021, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Sorry I mean the path of a plain ball after contacting the object ball. I hear players refer to the "natural angle" a lot when referring to a plain rolling cue ball, but I'm not sure where exactly they are hitting the cue ball above centre for this natural angle. As Nifty50 says, one could divide the cue ball into 9 or so different vertical points, but I don't know which one of these produces the natural angle.

Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
        Deflection should only occur when using side. Hitting the white anywhere up or down the centre of the cue ball will not cause deflection on the angle of the shot. There is no natural deflection angle, only a natural "plain ball" angle.

Deflection will vary from player to player depending on their cue flex, tip and ferrule type.

Comment

I have a theory that if you hit the cue ball gently enough, then its path will be the same no matter where you hit it above center, and the path only varies by height if you hit it more firmly. Is this correct?

Comment

The Barry Stark video is great and he has loads of excellent content. Albeit his style of delivery isn't something I can really take to!

Natural angles are I think what Barry covers and the others are referring to. There is no 'one' natural angle, as it depends on the height you strike the cue ball and you're absolutely correct, you can strike the ball in the same spot at different speeds and get a totally different reaction (Barry mentioned that in his video).

I think understanding these natural angles only comes with a) lots of practice and a consistent cue action (which will be unique to you, and b) practicing striking the cue ball at different heights around the table to understand where the cute ball end up. Key to the latter is to stay on the shot, stay still and take maximum feedback. Once you have these grasped, increase/decrease the speeds and it'll be like starting out all over again! This game really is so complex!

Comment

Originally Posted by evilwizard View Post
              I have a theory that if you hit the cue ball gently enough, then its path will be the same no matter where you hit it above center, and the path only varies by height if you hit it more firmly. Is this correct?
              You can avoid a natural in off or cannon simply by hitting the cue ball harder, then the cue ball will throw off the object ball a little wider before the natural forward motion is resumed, but the thinner the contact the less this enhanced throw will be until and there's a point where you have to strike lower on the cue ball.

So you are correct apart from terminology, the term for the angle the cue ball takes after contact with the object ball is throw. The term for the movement of the cue ball off the line of aim after contact with the tip of the cue when applying sidespin is deflection.
              Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
              but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Working...
              X