shooting across the ball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shooting across the ball

I was wondering if most people can tell visually whether they are shooting across the cue ball. I can't seem to be able to tell whether my cue is coming in at a slight angle.
    I try to correct this by trying different stances, different chest positions etc. Some of these positions will cause me to shoot across the ball to the left, and some will cause me to shoot across the ball to the right.
    But I find it so hard to develop a stance which is consistent in this regard.

Nevermind, I realized today that when I focus on the object ball with my eyes, I can see that my cue is shooting across the cue ball in my peripheral vision. For some reason I can't detect this when looking through the cue ball.

Comment

When you find the solution, please do share!

Comment

This guy used to post on here, and this video he made helped a lot of people, largely because it's no nonsense stuff said straight and displayed convincingly.

Hope it helps.
        ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

That's a great video CC. Very straightforward. Personally, for me, maybe I've been standing a bit too side on. Will give it a try!

Also, it's a shame many previously very active members are no longer active on the forum. I know I had a long time away but love reading posts on here

Comment

I get "video is not available".
            Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by NonStarter View Post
              That's a great video CC. Very straightforward. Personally, for me, maybe I've been standing a bit too side on. Will give it a try!

Also, it's a shame many previously very active members are no longer active on the forum. I know I had a long time away but love reading posts on here
              Glad you got to see it as it seems to have been taken down now! Maybe YouTube content is deleted after a certain length of time but seems odd it was just after I posted it here.
              ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post

Glad you got to see it as it seems to have been taken down now! Maybe YouTube content is deleted after a certain length of time but seems odd it was just after I posted it here.
                Thank you again CC. I think I have pinpointed my issues.. I was standing on the line but with the left leg too forward/side on. Had a bit of a play yesterday and could see the difference. Much appreciated.

Re the video - do you know if he created other videos? if so, his Youtube channel?

Comment

Good news, glad to hear that.

I checked his channel but no other videos sadly.

Tom Walker used to have a game with Pottr but I don't think he's seen him for some time sadly otherwise we could ask him to re-post some of his stuff. Very talented player.
                  ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

tomwalker147 sorry Tom I know you are looking to be less active but if Pottr knew how much some of his videos helped people enjoy the game more maybe that would give him a nice buzz.
                    ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Originally Posted by NonStarter View Post
                      When you find the solution, please do share!
                      I found the solution for me. Whilst there were some small issues with my stance, the main problem was with my visual focus. I'd heard lots of times that pros flick their eyes between cue ball and object ball but never really understood what was going on there.

Now I realize that for me at least, there is two distinct steps to making aiming adjustments. For example when lining up a straight shot:
                      Step 1) I focus my eyes on the cue ball, and while doing that I adjust my body/head until the edges of the cue ball are aligned with the object ball. I.e. I position my eyes on the line of the shot.
                      Step 2) Now that the balls are lined up to my eyes, I switch focus by looking up at the object ball. With my eyes looking at the object ball, I can now see clearly whether my cue is pointing exactly down the line of the shot that I found in step 1.
                      These two steps can be repeated for extra accuracy.

My aiming has improved so much in the last week!

Comment

Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
                        tomwalker147 sorry Tom I know you are looking to be less active but if Pottr knew how much some of his videos helped people enjoy the game more maybe that would give him a nice buzz.
                        Hi mate
                        Don't worry! I still log on a couple of days a week, I may have neglected my game but i'm still keen to help others where I can, plus this forum is one big family isn't it!
                        I'll no doubt see Pottr/Jack, i've decided to play in the Thursday night league, my captain and my Dad were gutted when I said I wasn't intending to play anymore. I won't practice or enter any comps besides the pairs with my Dad but will treat it as a social once a week.
                        I'll pass on the message to Pottr though, he also lost enthusiasm for the game, life gets in the way doesn't it!
                        "just tap it in":snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by tomwalker147 View Post

Hi mate
                          Don't worry! I still log on a couple of days a week, I may have neglected my game but i'm still keen to help others where I can, plus this forum is one big family isn't it!
                          I'll no doubt see Pottr/Jack, i've decided to play in the Thursday night league, my captain and my Dad were gutted when I said I wasn't intending to play anymore. I won't practice or enter any comps besides the pairs with my Dad but will treat it as a social once a week.
                          I'll pass on the message to Pottr though, he also lost enthusiasm for the game, life gets in the way doesn't it!
                          Top man Tom! Give Jack our best wishes if you do see him and always remember this game is a slow burner, so many good players burnt their first fuse out somewhere around 25/30 then have a wonderful reunited relationship with the game somewhere near 50, and trust me when you have done all those things you need and want to do, you will welcome back an old friend in snooker that will bring you still a lot of joy!
                          ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Originally Posted by tomwalker147 View Post
                            Doesn't Jack run a taxi business? if so the pandemic will have affected him greatly, best of luck to him.

Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                            but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax View Post

Doesn't Jack run a taxi business? if so the pandemic will have affected him greatly, best of luck to him.
                              Yeah he’ll be doing great business ,it’s one of the professions that has done well out of all this

Comment

Working...
                              X