Elbow drop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elbow drop

So after many weeks of practice routines I do I have decided to drop elbow like ROS. I did not do that before, I just wanted to see how it felt. Like I said this has been weeks using both styles. I can say with 100 percent certainly that elbow drop a la ROS my shots are way more consistent, more power and for me feels more natural. Would never thought so but proof has been in my routines and this has been everyday, 7 days a week. What was the ah moment. I would put a ball about 2cm off the cushion and across pink spot, I would pit my cue ball in line perfectly straight on the baulk line 2cm from the cushion and start potting. Stun, draw and follow into corner pocket with great confidence. I have changed to ROS. Huge difference for me. Thanks

good for you

I tried it years ago and stopped very quickly as this method was seriously hurting my elbows
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by Frankie6972 View Post
      So after many weeks of practice routines I do I have decided to drop elbow like ROS. I did not do that before, I just wanted to see how it felt. Like I said this has been weeks using both styles. I can say with 100 percent certainly that elbow drop a la ROS my shots are way more consistent, more power and for me feels more natural. Would never thought so but proof has been in my routines and this has been everyday, 7 days a week. What was the ah moment. I would put a ball about 2cm off the cushion and across pink spot, I would pit my cue ball in line perfectly straight on the baulk line 2cm from the cushion and start potting. Stun, draw and follow into corner pocket with great confidence. I have changed to ROS. Huge difference for me. Thanks
      I have tried it in the past. For me I found it the most effective on longish straight or just off straight stun or screw shots. For some reason I couldn’t get on with it on other shots. If I am not playing that well I still occasionally drop the elbow on those type of shots if I think of it. It does appear to give more accuracy but I haven’t worked out exactly why but I think I might know a possible reason.
      when you drop your elbow the cue butt also drops so that means the cue tip is rising as it travels through the cue ball which will have a slight lifting effect of the cue ball. My assumption would mean less initial contact with the cloth for any small amount of unwanted side to grip and move the cue ball offline.
      It sort of makes sense to me 🀣
      I will do some tests to see how far if any the ball rises lol

Comment

Hi Richard, you might be on to something. Definitely on long shots the accuracy is spot on. I don't feel like I can even miss when relaxed and dropping the elbow just flows and works so well. Let me know your results.

Comment

Originally Posted by Frankie6972 View Post
          Hi Richard, you might be on to something. Definitely on long shots the accuracy is spot on. I don't feel like I can even miss when relaxed and dropping the elbow just flows and works so well. Let me know your results.
          Hi mate.
          If you think about it as you drop the elbow it automatically moves forward and pushes the hand forward. Your hand and elbow are moving as one for the first few inches of your final stroke. Then the hand takes over to complete the shot slightly lifting the tip as it goes through the ball. It would be interesting to see a slow motion video of the path the cue takes when Ronnie takes a shot.
          It has to be coming up through the white. Maybe only slightly but there has to be a small scooping action which if you are striking under the centre must lift the white.
          If I can find a way to prove it I will let you know. Not everyone can play dropping the arm and it might not be anymore accurate but.
          If you trust it and you are happy playing that way than try and build your game around the action. But you must be prepared to accept playing badly also because it will happen. It most probably WONT be the action itself but something else like not being 100% sure what you are doing or being offline for whatever reason and or striking off centre.
          Good luck.

Comment

Originally Posted by Richard pincott View Post

Hi mate.
            If you think about it as you drop the elbow it automatically moves forward and pushes the hand forward. Your hand and elbow are moving as one for the first few inches of your final stroke. Then the hand takes over to complete the shot slightly lifting the tip as it goes through the ball. It would be interesting to see a slow motion video of the path the cue takes when Ronnie takes a shot.
            It has to be coming up through the white. Maybe only slightly but there has to be a small scooping action which if you are striking under the centre must lift the white.
            If I can find a way to prove it I will let you know. Not everyone can play dropping the arm and it might not be anymore accurate but.
            If you trust it and you are happy playing that way than try and build your game around the action. But you must be prepared to accept playing badly also because it will happen. It most probably WONT be the action itself but something else like not being 100% sure what you are doing or being offline for whatever reason and or striking off centre.
            Good luck.
            The second shot in this vid shows it I think Richard. The long red stunned to hold for the black, one of my favourite shots I've ever seen played. good ol' YouTube settings lets you adjust the playback speed to slow motion 0.25 speed.

Last edited by Cue crafty; 10 February 2022, 11:18 AM.
            βšͺ πŸ”΄πŸŸ‘πŸŸ’πŸŸ€πŸ”΅πŸ’—βš«πŸ•³οΈπŸ˜Ž

Comment

Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post

The second shot in this vid shows it I think Richard. The long red stunned to hold for the black, one of my favourite shots I've ever seen played. good ol' YouTube settings lets you adjust the playback speed to slow motion 0.25 speed.

Watched it several times with the screen zoomed out. On most power shots he definitely scoops up through the cue ball which must shift the weight of the white upwards and off the bed of the table. I am sure you can see it bouncing slightly. Ronnies action is certainly not textbook lol but it sure works. Dropping your elbow gives you the full force and weight of the whole arm behind your shot.
              I can’t say it is more accurate than the orthodox style action it could be, but like golf getting your hips and body behind the shot gives you more power. So it stands to reason that using all the arm in conjunction with your hand should do the same. πŸ€”

Comment

https://youtu.be/008pZGYtDMs

Steve Barton has uploaded a nice video on the topic

Comment

Originally Posted by Davesnooker View Post
                  https://youtu.be/008pZGYtDMs

Steve Barton has uploaded a nice video on the topic
                  Looking forward to seeing his exhibition match with Ronnie.
                  βšͺ πŸ”΄πŸŸ‘πŸŸ’πŸŸ€πŸ”΅πŸ’—βš«πŸ•³οΈπŸ˜Ž

Comment

Working...
                  X