Getting the cue on the line of aim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting the cue on the line of aim

i've made a similar thread like this before but i'm still wondering,what's the most important fundamental for being able to get the cue bang on the line of aim more consistently?consistent back foot placement?correct vision centre alignment?looking at the OB as you're getting down on the shot?overcoming optical illusions like where center CB actually is or seeing the cue angled in your vision?what do you guys think?

I'd say keeping your head over the line of aim while going down. At first it might seem that the OB is not going in but trust your cue action, deliver and finish the shot seeing where the OB goes (never compensate after you're down). After a while your eyes and mind will adjust and it won't seem confused if you're in line or not. Consecutive blacks is a good practice for this, setting straight medium distance centre pocket shots if you're a noob.
    P.S. Everything I said is personal experience, I am no coach.
    Guts over Glory

Comment

Originally Posted by throwawayttyl102 View Post
      I'd say keeping your head over the line of aim while going down. At first it might seem that the OB is not going in but trust your cue action, deliver and finish the shot seeing where the OB goes (never compensate after you're down). After a while your eyes and mind will adjust and it won't seem confused if you're in line or not. Consecutive blacks is a good practice for this, setting straight medium distance centre pocket shots if you're a noob.
      P.S. Everything I said is personal experience, I am no coach.
      one thing i notice is my vision center moves offline as i'm getting down (by a few mm's,not by much),so the cue ends up often very slightly more to the right of my chin instead of the correct place and it's enough to cause a miss.so now i always check if it's in the correct place when i'm down and my potting has improved but i still struggle sometimes to get the cue on the line consistently although it has improved.probably the solution is loads of practice on setting up with the exact same alignment over and over,no real shortcut.

Comment

Originally Posted by kflps View Post

one thing i notice is my vision center moves offline as i'm getting down (by a few mm's,not by much),so the cue ends up often very slightly more to the right of my chin instead of the correct place and it's enough to cause a miss.so now i always check if it's in the correct place when i'm down and my potting has improved but i still struggle sometimes to get the cue on the line consistently although it has improved.probably the solution is loads of practice on setting up with the exact same alignment over and over,no real shortcut.
        You can try putting the cue on the line then moving your chin down onto it. But truly only a coach can point out the mistakes and remedial measures, you can try a session with a coach. On self assessment we usually misdiagnose the problem. Else you can record yourself during a game and discuss it with the knowledgeable people here.
        Guts over Glory

Comment

Originally Posted by throwawayttyl102 View Post

You can try putting the cue on the line then moving your chin down onto it. But truly only a coach can point out the mistakes and remedial measures, you can try a session with a coach. On self assessment we usually misdiagnose the problem. Else you can record yourself during a game and discuss it with the knowledgeable people here.
          it's difficult to tell if the cue is on the correct line even when you are very low down on the shot because we're talking about millimeter differences of the cue being bang on the line rather than slightly across the line,so it's difficult to correct it.like i said i think it takes loads of practice and letting your instinct and subconscious take over.

Comment

Practice cueing along the bulk line.

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
              Practice cueing along the bulk line.
              Amen to this, it's not very glamorous but it helped me massively and still does. I cue under my left eye and if my left eye moves off the line during transition I will take my cue offline. I don't actually use the baulk line, i just have a line drawn on my standing desk set to the height of a snooker table.

Comment

Working...
              X