Sighting frustration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sighting frustration

So I've pretty much corrected most things starting from sighting the line of aim standing up and walking in the line of aim. but when I'm going down on the shot that's where everything falls apart. here is the thing, when I put the cue underneath the center of my left eye and set up a straight shot I can see the shot straight, but I just don't feel comfortable on the shot and I end up hitting the object ball completely wrong. but there is also the center of my chin slightly towards my left eye, where I don't see the shot straight but I feel comfortable and I end up hitting the correct point on the object ball. So my question is which one of these head positions is the right one for me? should I stick with the first one so that I can get good at it or the second one? cheers

Are you able to visit a snooker coach ? By the sounds of it , i reckon one could help you fairly quickly .
    Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Originally Posted by Neil Taperell View Post
      Are you able to visit a snooker coach ? By the sounds of it , i reckon one could help you fairly quickly .
      I have been thinking about this actually. soon hopefully. but at the meantime I would really like to sort this out since it's been really frustrating. I find myself sighting the shots really good and consistent for a dozen shots but I'm not aware of what it is that I'm doing right at the time. and then all of a sudden before I even play the shot I can tell that something is wrong and I'm going to miss the shot!

Although I have been practicing at home with some tools today. and I'm not entirely sure but I feel like when I'm about to go down on the line of aim, I'm moving my head to the left just as I'm putting the cue under my chin. which causes me to put left hand side on the cue ball while I think I'm cueing center ball! I'm gonna have to test this further more when I'm gonna go to the club next time. hopefully that's the issue

Comment

Originally Posted by BrianMahdi View Post
        So I've pretty much corrected most things starting from sighting the line of aim standing up and walking in the line of aim. but when I'm going down on the shot that's where everything falls apart. here is the thing, when I put the cue underneath the center of my left eye and set up a straight shot I can see the shot straight, but I just don't feel comfortable on the shot and I end up hitting the object ball completely wrong. but there is also the center of my chin slightly towards my left eye, where I don't see the shot straight but I feel comfortable and I end up hitting the correct point on the object ball. So my question is which one of these head positions is the right one for me? should I stick with the first one so that I can get good at it or the second one? cheers
        Go with the one that will get you to cue straight more consistently and to hit the object ball where you want to .
        I would go to the club , cue down the baulk line to see if you are cueing straight on one or the other positions . Then I would try to pot a dead straight blue into the middle bag and try to follow the white through into the same pocket . What ever one is more consistent in getting the cue ball into the pocket is the one that I would stay with and work from.
        I have no idea where I place the cue on my chin or what eye I’m dominant and I’ve hit hundreds on a regular basis albeit hundreds of years ago

As Neil recommends I would also go to a coach for the fundamentals . Don’t get to hung up on eye stuff though

Last edited by Starsky; 11 April 2022, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Starsky View Post

Go with the one that will get you to cue straight more consistently and to hit the object ball where you want to .
          I would go to the club , cue down the baulk line to see if you are cueing straight on one or the other positions . Then I would try to pot a dead straight blue into the middle bag and try to follow the white through into the same pocket . What ever one is more consistent in getting the cue ball into the pocket is the one that I would stay with and work from.
          I have no idea where I place the cue on my chin or what eye I’m dominant and I’ve hit hundreds on a regular basis albeit hundreds of years ago

As Neil recommends I would also go to a coach for the fundamentals . Don’t get to hung up on eye stuff though
          Thanks for the reply! I saw a topic about getting in the zone and how to get there, and whenever I'm playing well and barely missing shots and just feeling right on every shot, I'm in the zone and honestly not really thinking about any of this stuff, they just automatically work out for me. But at the moment I have no idea how to get there 🙂

Comment

Thanks for the reply! I saw a topic about getting in the zone and how to get there, and whenever I'm playing well and barely missing shots and just feeling right on every shot, I'm in the zone and honestly not really thinking about any of this stuff, they just automatically work out for me. But at the moment I have no idea how to get there 🙂
            No problem , you don’t need a perfect technique to play at a decent level in this game .
            You’ve answered your own question in your last reply . You won’t get into the ‘zone’ if you overthink everything especially if your playing matches .
            My last bit of advice would be to only work on one thing at a time in solo practice and if it’s technical to make the shots easy your working with .

Comment

If you have no idea how to get there , then surely going to see a professional coach will help you in the long run .

Otherwise you are just guessing at what your problems are .

Comment

How long have you been playing?

Comment

Originally Posted by Marfling View Post
                  How long have you been playing?
                  About 6-7 months..

Comment

Only that long , i can tell that you are very keen Brian just be your posts . That's a good thing .

Comment

Only that long , i can tell that you are very keen Brian just be your posts . That's a good thing .
                      True I played pool for another 5-6 months before snooker but since I got into snooker I've been absolutely addicted to the game

Comment

True I played pool for another 5-6 months before snooker but since I got into snooker I've been absolutely addicted to the game
                        That's why i believe a Coach at this early stage will be hugely beneficial to you .

Comment

That's why i believe a Coach at this early stage will be hugely beneficial to you .
                          I see. thank you Neil. hopefully soon

Comment

Where abouts are you based Brian ? As someone on here might be able to point you in the right direction of a decent coach .

Comment

Where abouts are you based Brian ? As someone on here might be able to point you in the right direction of a decent coach .
                              Unfortunately, I haven't got many options for a coach in my area there is one in particular that I've seen him coach and play very well. I just hope that it isn't gonna be too expensive for me

Comment

Working...
                              X