Line up practice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Line up practice

I have been doing line up with ONLY Black and reds. Currently I am unable to finish all the reds regularly, my current finish rate is around 1 in 50. Should I re-spot the cue ball and the object ball to missed position? I am starting over again after I miss and it is getting very frustrating. What should be the ideal approach, restarting the whole exercise or putting the balls to from where I missed or move on to next shot? Help would be appreciated.
    Guts over Glory

So you’re trying to do a max lineup, and out of roughly 50 attempts you’ve only managed one 147?

After a miss, you could replay the shot, and not move on until you’ve mastered it by doing it x3.. but that too can be frustrating depending on concentration and level of play.
    Last edited by j6uk; 19 April 2022, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
      So you’re trying to do a max lineup, and out of roughly 50 attempts you’ve only managed one 147?
      Even worse I am using only 10 reds, two between cushion and black, rest between black and blue spot and no other colors on the table. And I can make an 80 break only 1 time out of 50 attempts.
      Guts over Glory

Comment

Originally Posted by throwawayttyl102 View Post

Even worse I am using only 10 reds, two between cushion and black, rest between black and blue spot and no other colors on the table. And I can make an 80 break only 1 time out of 50 attempts.
        Oh okay, have you ever completed the line up exercise before?

Comment

Might be worth trying with less reds, say 4, and find out how you get on with that. If 4 reds is what you can do most times add another and see how it goes. If you manage that then add another red etc. Don’t see the point in carrying on with 10 reds with a success rate of 1 from 50 attempts. Probably just means it was a fluke and is too difficult a practice routine for you.

Comment

Try doing just reds lineup with no colours.
            15 reds between black and blue spots.
            after completion, reset and target x2 in a row, making it 30 pots with position . Obviously without missing.
            Then repeat x3.. if you can do that your transition to lineups with colours will be smoother, less frustrating and more realistic/enjoyable.
            This was my route to lineup clearances.

-
            Last edited by j6uk; 19 April 2022, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Oh okay, have you ever completed the line up exercise before?
              Yes when I have other colors available. Getting to another color when angle is awkward gives me breathing space there.
              Guts over Glory

Comment

Originally Posted by Nifty50 View Post
                Might be worth trying with less reds, say 4, and find out how you get on with that. If 4 reds is what you can do most times add another and see how it goes. If you manage that then add another red etc. Don’t see the point in carrying on with 10 reds with a success rate of 1 from 50 attempts. Probably just means it was a fluke and is too difficult a practice routine for you.
                Noted. Thanks for the advice.
                Guts over Glory

Comment

Try doing just reds lineup with no colours.
                  15 reds between black and blue spots.
                  after completion, reset and target x2 in a row, making it 30 pots with position . Obviously without missing.
                  Then repeat x3.. if you can do that your transition to lineups with colours will be smoother, less frustrating and more realistic/enjoyable.
                  This was my route to lineup clearances.

-
                  Thanks a lot. This is what I will try next and then move to red blacks nifty's way.
                  Guts over Glory

Comment

If I miss i continue and always complete the full line up, including colours. That way you are learning shots you need to complete it and not resetting and just repeating the same few shots all the time.
                    This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                    https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

There is some good advice on this thread.
                      I would say unless you are making clearances with the normal line up on a regular basis ( multiple times in a session ) then moving to all red and blacks with reds above the pink spot will be a step too far .
                      I got used to clearing up just 7 red and blacks between( 2 between cushion and black, five between black and pink before I moved onto more reds .
                      Like all line ups there is a pattern to completing them easier . For an all black clearance taking out the red above the black spot early helps as does leaving a red above the pink spot as a back up if you don’t get on the right side of a red towards the blue.

Comment

Try this instead, try starting with 1 red on the table and clear the table. Then go up to 2, then 3 and so on - it's a fun little game. No need to do this with only blacks either IMO.
                        Doing your head in not making maximums will just be a source of frustration and is above your current level - try simpler variations first before this one.
                        "just tap it in":snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by tomwalker147 View Post
                          Try this instead, try starting with 1 red on the table and clear the table. Then go up to 2, then 3 and so on - it's a fun little game. No need to do this with only blacks either IMO.
                          Doing your head in not making maximums will just be a source of frustration and is above your current level - try simpler variations first before this one.
                          Noted. Thanks for the advice.
                          Guts over Glory

Comment

Originally Posted by tomwalker147 View Post

I started doing this and it really helped with confidence and getting used to clearing the table. Definitely a good idea.

Comment

Originally Posted by Marfling View Post

I started doing this and it really helped with confidence and getting used to clearing the table. Definitely a good idea.
                              Stephen Hendry used to religiously do this until he'd done all 15 reds, think it worked for him lol
                              "just tap it in":snooker:

Comment

Working...
                              X