Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1 Month in, still missing slight angles?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 Month in, still missing slight angles?!

Came back after 10 years.
    New cue, good tables.
    Practice 1hr 30 mins a day, 5 days a week.
    Repetitive, mechanical, no "Throw the balls around". Just angles, cue action, stance.
    I'm not even practicing cue ball control... just angles.

And yet I find the following:

Black spot to corner - miss maybe 1 in 5.
    Pink to middle - miss maybe 1 in 5.
    Pink to corner - miss maybe 3 in 5.
    Brown to corner - miss maybe 1 in 5.

The distances from white to colour are usually 12-16 inches. Comfy so no stretching and easy hand placement.
    And the angles aren't even past 3/4 ball.

I've followed BreakForLife and Barry Stark on YouTube.

Played on different tables and ball sets too.

I've recorded myself and I'm cueing straight with proper elbow and knuckle alignment. I'm keeping down on the shot and my stance has varied but doesn't affect my line up much. I stuck with one stance for the last 2 weeks and no change.

It's getting frustrating because I've followed all recommendations and advice, I'm calm, concentrated, and careful.
    And yet... I'm still not getting my angle selected properly!

Can someone please help?

Apologies I meant Pink to Middle, then Blue to Corner.

Comment

Could be you're not sighting quite right, have you tried moving more or less under your dominant eye? Otherwise, you're probably not delivering the cue as consistently as you think you are. 1 month isn't very long. I've played snooker and pool regularly for nearly 30 years, and I still miss sitters on an off day if I'm not focussed on delivering the cue straight.

Comment

Hi where are you located? I run online sessions if you're too far via Ms Teams.
        Cheap and Cheerful! 😄
        https://wpbsa.com/coaches/simon-seabridge/

Comment

Try forgetting the perception of angles. Let your eyes and brain do that. As long as you are clear in your mind on where you want the white to finish before you get down for the shot. It also sounds possible that you are trying to hard to figure out where the cue or tip should be pointing.
          Generally speaking and for plain ball shots, the eyes and brain see things geometrically and in straight lines and know exactly what the task is, where you need to stand and where your cueing hand should be. As long as you TRUST them and allow them to do their job ( the correct line )
          Unfortunately it’s usually from this point onwards that things go wrong.
          You might think you are cueing straight, hitting the white in the middle, and not moving but there’s a good chance that one of these is affecting the pot.
          The thing is, and it’s the same for any player. When we miss besides bad contacts then we have done SOMETHING wrong.
          Good luck with putting things right.

Comment

+1 Richard

AMoistOwl you sound like you have a pretty disciplined regime

Work out how you miss the shots

For example most blacks off the spot when low on them (meaning white will hit the top cushion after) are missed thick !!!!

There is a great video by Nic Barrow as he explains impact throw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGsX...tTheSnookerGym

Impact throw is the same as we learnt in physics Parallelogram of forces - where the force goes through the object ball to the center ONLY on full ball contact - this also explains why plants reverse etc

It took me ages to pot reliably the half ball blacks with and without left and right hand side - eventually your brain feels the SHOT - notice I say shot not angle, because the angle is dependant upon the shot you are playing, hard soft, slow, medium etc etc

Comment

Working...
            X