Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hand closer to the cueball

Hi Guys,

I'm a player which i would like to say is above average, playing almost 15 years. I make 40s 50s regularly on the two nights i play during the week but when i miss i miss bad especially shots with side. I recently went to a coach for the first time and found that I have a right eye dominant stance (right leg on the line of the shot) but I am left eye dominant.. I'm a right hander by the way. So i was always on the line with my eye but the cue was not due to my stance, it was cueing across each shot slightly left to right. but my brain didn't see this. I'm now working on lining up the shot properly and standing behind each shot slightly more to my left leg and eye. the coach also said that my hand was way too far away from the white ball. this amplified the alligntment issue even further.. I was just wondering has anybody good advice or routines on getting the hand closer to the cue ball? i find try i focus on doing it but after a few shots im back to cueing far from it. would be greatly apprieciated! thank you

A lot of players have sighting problems. I was told (by a pro) that hardly anyone sights centre ball. That’s why a few pros have been to see Steve Feeny of SightRight. For those of us who can’t go and see Steve you just need to be aware of your sighting issues and make the necessary adjustments. Easier said than done but sounds like you’re making progress.
    On the hand closer to the ball issue the only thing I could suggest is too persevere. Making changes to the way you’ve done it for 15 years will takes time. I’ve only just managed to move my hand down the butt a couple of inches so that it feels natural. Took me a couple of months. Years ago I tried to introduce a pause on my back swing. Still can’t do it consistently .

Comment

If you have a pre shot routine already try getting down like normal but then sliding your bridge hand forward. If you incorporate it, might become more natural on each shot.
      ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Originally Posted by Nifty50 View Post
        A lot of players have sighting problems. I was told (by a pro) that hardly anyone sights centre ball. That’s why a few pros have been to see Steve Feeny of SightRight. For those of us who can’t go and see Steve you just need to be aware of your sighting issues and make the necessary adjustments. Easier said than done but sounds like you’re making progress.
        On the hand closer to the ball issue the only thing I could suggest is too persevere. Making changes to the way you’ve done it for 15 years will takes time. I’ve only just managed to move my hand down the butt a couple of inches so that it feels natural. Took me a couple of months. Years ago I tried to introduce a pause on my back swing. Still can’t do it consistently .
        well done, moving the hand down the butt is a major change as it would completey change your muscle memory of the point where you previously deliver from. Must not have been easy. I feel that the hand closer to the cueball will not be as much of a drastic change as the few shots that i have taken while closer to it i felt i had much less room for error and more follow through with ease. It's just making it part of my pre shot routine to stand closer which would hopefully allow my hand to be closer which will be the hard part to make consistant for me. im just finding im forgetting to do it as breaks go on as it leaves my subconscious

Comment

Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
          If you have a pre shot routine already try getting down like normal but then sliding your bridge hand forward. If you incorporate it, might become more natural on each shot.
          I have tried this but i do feel like i am way over stretching my bridge arm too much which puts strain on my neck also. could it be where I hold the cue of if i am already too far away when walking into the shot maybe? thanks for the reply

Comment

I don't believe in having the bridge hand closer than what you're comfortable with. The closest your bridge hand comes to the cue ball is when it's tight on the cushion and we all know how difficult that is, not only to cue properly but to sight the line with only two inches of cue over your thumb. By all means shorten your back swing but you don't need to bring your bridge hand closer to the cue ball to do that, it's just the latest fad for coaches who see certain pros bring the tip right back to the thumb on the backswing, these pros need a longer cue as they've outgrown the one they've been using since their teens and it's now too short.
            Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
            but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Originally Posted by dub146 View Post

I have tried this but i do feel like i am way over stretching my bridge arm too much which puts strain on my neck also. could it be where I hold the cue of if i am already too far away when walking into the shot maybe? thanks for the reply
              Sorry I didn't explain that very well. I slide my whole body forward not just stretch my arm forward. You might be slightly too far away from the table if thats difficult.

I only use this technique when in amongst the balls and I want more close control on those dinky stuns and screws etc.
              ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Working...
              X