Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what is the best way to find cueball centre ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is the best way to find cueball centre ?

Hello

struggling finding center cueball.
    I use the bottom of the cueball which connects to table to find the centre cueball, which i can , but as soon as i want to play higher on cueball i lose centre cueball. the higher i go on cueball the more difficult i find centre cueball.
    ////////////////////////////////////
    the higher i go on cueball seems the butt of the cue goes offline as i tent to put side.
    when i play extream top on cueball it feels to me that i am aiming centre but my cue is way off. and i have been playing like this for years now. even when i put side it looks center to me because the entire line of aim changes for me , because my prespective of line of aim changes as the cue is offline
    //////////////////////////////
    example: when i play extream top i aim at 11oclock but that 11oclock looks straight to me while i can clearly see that i have lost line of aim and the object ball is going to be missed which does.
    /////////////////////////
    the only way i can see centre cueball is when i play the very bottom of the cueball which has shadow. as i move up my cuetip goes side ways and i lose centre cueball

what is a good excersies or a fix for this problem?

tnx in advance

Could try the high quality training ball https://www.cueandcase.co.uk/product...training-ball/

Comment

Or maybe listen to this.....

⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post

this video is useless, once you know middle of the white, then you can tell the middle does not exist, because you are used to centre striking, and once you know the middle you can easily use running side or helping side etc.

tnx for sharing though

Comment

Originally Posted by theplough View Post
          Could try the high quality training ball https://www.cueandcase.co.uk/product...training-ball/
          thank you , will try this. although seems lining up this cueball is a big time challenge

Comment

Originally Posted by lahore View Post

thank you , will try this. although seems lining up this cueball is a big time challenge
            I was showing a friend last night how to play up and down the spots leaving cue in place with the aim of the cue ball returning to the tip. You soon find out if you`re cueing straight. Also a great way of learning how to play side. I often use this routine to refocus my cue action. Hope it helps. The beauty, and pain, of the game is how fu king hard it is!

Comment

Originally Posted by lahore View Post

this video is useless, once you know middle of the white, then you can tell the middle does not exist, because you are used to centre striking, and once you know the middle you can easily use running side or helping side etc.

tnx for sharing though
              Fair enough, good luck with that.
              ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

There are many ways, the easiest but not cheap IMO is the balls by Chris Henry. I am using them. They are a very good self training aid.

Comment

These players have all dealt with cueing across the line through experience and aim accordingly, of course the middle of the white exists, when the tip is pointing in the middle then the white is dissected perfectly and one can see that both sides of the white outside the tip are equal.
                  Steve Davis spent his youth playing up and down the spots until he got the butt of his cue on the line of aim, cued straight through the middle of the white and it came straight back to his tip.

Not getting the butt of the cue on the line of aim or not cueing straight are different faults but both can be sorted through trial and error, play the shot, see the result and adjust accordingly.

The modern trend towards smaller tips could be a reason some players believe this, any tip less than 10mm cannot be shaped with a big enough flat in the centre of it for centre cue ball striking and domed sides for off centre striking so the middle of the white can be found at address but hard to hit when delivering the cue.
                  Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                  but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax View Post

Not getting the butt of the cue on the line of aim or not cueing straight are different faults but both can be sorted through trial and error, play the shot, see the result and adjust accordingly.

The modern trend towards smaller tips could be a reason some players believe this, any tip less than 10mm cannot be shaped with a big enough flat in the centre of it for centre cue ball striking and domed sides for off centre striking so the middle of the white can be found at address but hard to hit when delivering the cue.
                    very nice information , thank you for sharing
                    ////////////////////////
                    to be honest i have been playing for a while and i can make 30,40,50,60 easily , however i miss long pots by miles and i have seen many coaches during my years of playing snooker
                    my techniques looks great but my aiming sucks
                    i try my best to bring the butt of the cue online and stays online. which i believe it is online most of the time
                    but when i play up and down it is not consistent, and ofcourse if i put a the middle on its spot and put cueball on brown spot and try to stop the white so the blue comes double kiss it. i can hit it 2 out of 10 maybe sometimes i hit 3,4 outta 10 but i think mostly 2 out of 10

and yes when i miss my long pots i mostly miss them thin, i believe my tip size is 10 or maybe 9.8 etc
                    i think my coach told me that if the tip size or ferrel size is bigger such 10.5 then you miss thick and if it is such as 8.5 you miss thin

but im quite sure it has nothing to do with my cue ferrel or tip size as i have played with a friend cue and i still get the same results with his cue, although im not sure about his cue ferrel or tip size
                    ////////////////////////////////

please share some of your tip and suggestion, any tip is valuable for me because some of you might have experienced all these problems
                    thank you in advance

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax View Post

These players have all dealt with cueing across the line through experience and aim accordingly, of course the middle of the white exists, when the tip is pointing in the middle then the white is dissected perfectly and one can see that both sides of the white outside the tip are equal.
                      Steve Davis spent his youth playing up and down the spots until he got the butt of his cue on the line of aim, cued straight through the middle of the white and it came straight back to his tip.

I appreciate some people rely on technical stuff to help them improve, it's doesn't work for me personally though, all my key thoughts in practice are based around feel. I put this vid up because it can help certain people realise centre ball striking isn't the be all and end all, but I do realise some people have a more natural ability to do this without even really knowing. I guess it's a case of what works for individuals. ​​​​​
                      ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Bingham says he plays nearly every shot with a trace of side, if he doesn't know where the middle is, how does he know? by that I mean surely you have to have some clue where the middle is to be able to put little bits of side on.
                        This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                        https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

If you think of a pin head dot on the dead dead centre of the cue ball, then say you are trying to hit that point bang on the centre point of your 9.5mm tip, how often would you hope to achieve that?

Holt's being daft (he's good at that actually) but the point they are trying to make is that it's very very hard to find that dead centre strike consistently therefore don't worry to much and experiment with side on shots to compensate.

If the OP wants to get better cueing that consistently helps him hit the area say the size of a 5p coin in the centre of the white (again not dead centre of the coin
                          but anything on or abouts like a dart in the bullseye) then cueing into a bottle without touching the sides etc is maybe good practice.

J6 made a simple training tool from cardboard called the TUCA i(The ultimate cue action) IIRC for this purpose and take it to another level.
                          ​​​​​​
                          https://youtu.be/Rl2qsdPzwuo?feature=shared
                          Last edited by Cue crafty; 23 January 2024, 09:05 AM.
                          ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

If you think of a pin head dot on the dead centre of the cue ball, then say you are trying to hit that point bang on the centre point of your 9.5mm tip, how often would you hope to achieve that?
                            If the tip of your cue was 2 & 1/16 inches in diameter and flat then that pin head dot dead centre of the cue ball would be impossible to miss, or now am I being equally daft ?
                            Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                            but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

If you use a striped cue ball with the stripe vertical it will give you instant feedback if you are hitting it off-centre, even the smallest bit of side will see the stripe 'wobble'. Probably no good if you look at the cue ball at strike as it will draw the eye but if you're an object ball person it's useful.

Don't know where you are but the Aramith ones are a good buy in the UK as the 2 balls are 140gr , as opposed to the red stripey one which weighs in at 130gr.

Doesn't matter if you are just punting it up and down the spots of course for which you could just use a striped pool ball.

Screenshot (150) by BTP, on Flickr

Screenshot (152) by BTP, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X