X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RocketRoy1983
    replied
    Noel you make me laugh. I would have to "see" the shot in question in order to make a fair review :P

Leave a comment:

• noel
    replied
    Hi Roy... HELLLLPPPPP!!!...
    into the pack on a 32-break... sketchy cannon off a gentle break-out... but on pink to yellow corner...
    distance cueball to pink 1".

Best red near blue so I hit with tops running through for, if I may say so myself... F*CKN AWESOME shape...

Problem is, my opponent jumps up, waves his hands in the air, when the pink goes IN!!! (of course he would) yelling "FOUL... FOUL... PUSH SHOT!".

This reminded me of the opposite of Alex's screw "PUSH" shot.

Q: Is it possible to execute that shot legally?

Thanks mate...

=o)

Noel

Leave a comment:

• RocketRoy1983
    replied
    Originally Posted by lkomarci View Post
    Straight backspin, especially if there's not a big distance between the cueball and the object ball. I tend to think that if I drive the cue long way "through" the cueball it's going to hit my cue on her way back. Yes I know, I should retrieve the cue back sooner then, but I'm trying to pay attention to my technique. Making the strikethrough, keeping my body and the cue stationary until the object ball has reached it's pocket. So doing that I make the cueball jump or I don't hit the middle of the object ball.

Its a very common problem. The key is to address the cueball low and follow through just the same as with any screw shot. If you have to lift the cue up sooner than normal, so long as everything else in your terchnique is spot on, this shouldnt matter too much. Even the pros sometimes cant afford the luxury of staying down on the shot if the distance between the 2 balls is very short.

Leave a comment:

• RocketRoy1983
    replied
    Originally Posted by gettingbetter View Post
    What about splitting the reds via blue/pink.

How high should I be above the blue?
    Where do I hit the ball?
    Stunning/Screwing into the pack offer totally different results and I would encourage you to practice both. As a general rule of thumb however I would always advise, if your going inot the pack direct (ie not cushion first) to play this shot with screw as I find sometimes the white may "stick" in the pack if you stun it especially if its a flat pack. However try all types of scenarios in practice and see how you get on mate.

Leave a comment:

• RocketRoy1983
    replied
    Originally Posted by RGCirencester View Post
    Right Roy heres a scenario i have trouble with...

You have a ball on the table, right? Following me so far? Ok...

Now i want to hit the ball into the pocket using the white... I seem to have trouble with that part of the game

Sorry forgot to add... i have this pointy stick with a piece of leather on the end... wonder what thats for
    Getting scenile and not very funny in your old age RGC...Not good mate.

Leave a comment:

• Forman
    replied
    Originally Posted by RGCirencester View Post

Now i want to hit the ball into the pocket using the white... I seem to have trouble with that part of the game

Sorry forgot to add... i have this pointy stick with a piece of leather on the end... wonder what thats for
    This is amazing!, I have the exact same problem, what are the chances

Leave a comment:

• RGCirencester
    replied

Last edited by RGCirencester; 29 March 2009, 06:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• lkomarci
    replied
    Straight backspin, especially if there's not a big distance between the cueball and the object ball. I tend to think that if I drive the cue long way "through" the cueball it's going to hit my cue on her way back. Yes I know, I should retrieve the cue back sooner then, but I'm trying to pay attention to my technique. Making the strikethrough, keeping my body and the cue stationary until the object ball has reached it's pocket. So doing that I make the cueball jump or I don't hit the middle of the object ball.

Leave a comment:

• gettingbetter
    replied
    What about splitting the reds via blue/pink.

How high should I be above the blue?
    Where do I hit the ball?

Leave a comment:

• RocketRoy1983
    replied
    Yes all 3 examples you state are correct. However example 3 would not NECESSARILY see an arc off the black cushion but the white simply smashing into it. Dont think of the arc as a necessary "look" that the cue ball takes.

Oh and about agreeing with me its all good we can agree/disagree all ya like buddy!

Leave a comment:

• Stunrunthru
    replied
    Originally Posted by RocketRoy1983 View Post
    The "arc" is for show surely. If you simply want to smash into the pack stunning will help you so middle is advisable. Top works too obviously so try both in practice. Screwing into the pack can cause trouble though as it can stick to the reds.
    I don't think the arc is for show Roy. Ask Shaun Murphy what he thinks.

I usually play splitting the pack of the black in the following ways:

1. Finish low on the black and the pack of reds is tight together with a row of around 4-5 reds at the bottom. In this instance I would stun into the bottom row of reds because playing with back spin would see the white screw off the pack and end up near the black cushion.

2. Finish low on the black with the pack of reds quite loose and with a gap in. In this instance I would play a deep screw into the gap and see the white spin through the pack if played correctly.

3. Finish high on the black with an angle to arc into the reds. In this instance a great deal of power and top spin is needed to open the pack. therefore naturally the white will arc off the black cushion. therefore it is not for show.

you're a good lad but I don't agree with you on this mate. stun and left hand side would see the white miss the pack altogether and end up near the green or brown area.

best wishes

Leave a comment:

• RocketRoy1983
    replied
    Originally Posted by Stunrunthru View Post
    I'll try that. But the arc always comes with top spin from my experience.

We'll argue about it in Swindon over a frame or two
    The "arc" is for show surely. If you simply want to smash into the pack stunning will help you so middle is advisable. Top works too obviously so try both in practice. Screwing into the pack can cause trouble though as it can stick to the reds.

Leave a comment:

• Stunrunthru
    replied
    Originally Posted by RocketRoy1983 View Post
    Indeed stun will see you in Swindon..will be great to meet you and indeed everyone else going.

If your playing this from the green side Id try playing it with middle opposed to top and also left hand side (Ie checkside) to guarantee ploughing into the reds) "Punching" it in too. Give this a go in practice and see how you get on.
    I'll try that. But the arc always comes with top spin from my experience.

We'll argue about it in Swindon over a frame or two

Leave a comment:

• RocketRoy1983
    replied
    Originally Posted by Stunrunthru View Post
    Another shot I sometimes struggle with is when I land high on a half ball black on its spot and smack it in with power and top spin to arc the white into the pack.

Sometimes I get so much arc onto the white that it misses the pack and I even remember once in practice playing this shot from the green spot side of the table and the white arched around the pack, between blue and pink and into the yellow pocket.

I suppose the key to this shot is just trying with different variations of top and side spin. I always play it with plain top.

Your thoughts please mr.Rocket.................may see you in Swindon soon
    Indeed stun will see you in Swindon..will be great to meet you and indeed everyone else going.

If your playing this from the green side Id try playing it with middle opposed to top and also left hand side (Ie checkside) to guarantee ploughing into the reds) "Punching" it in too. Give this a go in practice and see how you get on.

Leave a comment:

• Stunrunthru
    replied
    Another shot I sometimes struggle with is when I land high on a half ball black on its spot and smack it in with power and top spin to arc the white into the pack.

Sometimes I get so much arc onto the white that it misses the pack and I even remember once in practice playing this shot from the green spot side of the table and the white arched around the pack, between blue and pink and into the yellow pocket.

I suppose the key to this shot is just trying with different variations of top and side spin. I always play it with plain top.

Your thoughts please mr.Rocket.................may see you in Swindon soon

Leave a comment:

Working...
X