Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• right or left handed?

Hi all snooker people,

i was wondering if anyone could offer some advice. i learnt to play pool as a kid left handed (dont know why, maybe cause the bridge was more solid) and i play a million other sports right handed,
    soooo last year i decide to re-learn to cue right handed, and now playing snooker i am possibly slightly better with my right, but i wll still use my left when needed. i feel i used to be better playing left handed (but i only started playing snooker recently) , so i guesse what im asking is wether you would reccomend i carry on playing right handed, or go back to my old ways of left handed. any opinion would be much appreciated.
    cheers from Jack

Hi and welcome to TSF.

If you have this rare talent to use a cue propoerly with both hands it would be a pity to decide for one hand.
    Try to keep playing with left and right and you will have a big advantage to the most other players.
    I am confused... Oh wait... Maybe I'm not...

Comment

As chatlag mentioned, to be able to play with both hands is a skill. try to play at an equal level on both hands.

Comment

i feel similar to this its strange i feel more comfortable cueing with my left and but dont cue as straight so continue to play with my right hand. Do you think its worth starting to play with my left hand more to develop a better cue action or just sick with playing right handed?

Oh and highest break right handed 74 and left handed 31 just to give hind sight of ability (or lack of lol)

Comment

thanks for quick replys ^^

ye its weird how it feels better on the left side.

and while being able to play both sides is advantageous, ronnie still plays 99% of his shots with his right it seems, even when it might be more comfortable to play with his left.

im just confused which side to use for the majority of my shots. ive got 100's of hours of muscle memory in my left, and thats the side i learnt on so its my natrual side i guess, but my right hand is amazing at everything else. even though it doesnt feel as right, it still might be the better way. not sure

Comment

Check the previous threads on this subject 2 of which i replied to because im ambidexterous :-)
            Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
            Mark Twain

Comment

I miss just as well with either hand

Comment

Originally Posted by 1lawyer View Post
                I miss just as well with either hand
                Or, to say it positive: You play on the same level with either hand.
                I am confused... Oh wait... Maybe I'm not...

Comment

umm maybe you can try to find which hand can do what like for me I started playing with my left hand but due to my "bad" right hand bridging i turned playing with my right hand.

and currently i find my left hand is very good with potting eventhough i dont get the pace and position always right.

on the other hand my right hand is good for long shots ( cause my left hand bridging is stable )

and dont forget the legs too u need one leg to be straight and other bent u might as well make notes of what benefits u would get from right hand or left hand ( including the legs too sometimes people have a strong and a weak leg too like i do )

hope this helps
                  Marshoush

Comment

My advice would be, pick one as your main (like right for Ronnie) but use the other as much as possible and practice with it (as Ronnie did in a few tournaments) so that you can depend on it when you have a situation where a rest is required if you use your main one, but not if you use your other.

I would also say give the right a little more time and then pick the one you feel the most COMFORTABLE with, as comfort is the true secret of good snooker technique

Terry
                    Terry Davidson
                    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Wouldn't worry about it too much. Follow Terry's advice. I'm more or less ambidexterous with strange habits, right handed for golf, darts and a few other things. Left handed for writing, snooker, table tennis. Soccer is very strange. Would take a penalty with my right foot but if a ball was passed to me in open play I would shoot with my left. Gave up trying to understand how this came about years ago and just do what's natural and comfortable. It's great to know you can change hands to avoid using the rest.

Comment

Im the same. I feel alot more comfortable with my left hand but I can get my shots are straighter and more powerful with my right but it just doesn't feel the same. That said I use it when required but if its a particularly important shot ill use the rest.

Comment

Working...
                        X