Twist and shout?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twist and shout?

ok ... you've watched all the great coaching videos so you should now know by now how to walk into the address position, plant your right foot, your left foot, grip the cue, make your bridge etc ...

but what's this twist all about ... Jack Karnehm mentions it specifically in his vids although he doesn't say which direction to twist ...

but I've been trying it ... I'm right handed ... having placed all my bits in fairly correct positions (I think) I twist maybe 20 degrees anti-clockwise ... and it doesn't half seem to lock your whole body and your cue in position ...

anyone else tried it?

Originally Posted by DandyA View Post
    ok ... you've watched all the great coaching videos so you should now know by now how to walk into the address position, plant your right foot, your left foot, grip the cue, make your bridge etc ...

but what's this twist all about ... Jack Karnehm mentions it specifically in his vids although he doesn't say which direction to twist ...

but I've been trying it ... I'm right handed ... having placed all my bits in fairly correct positions (I think) I twist maybe 20 degrees anti-clockwise ... and it doesn't half seem to lock your whole body and your cue in position ...

anyone else tried it?
    Well DandyA...
    all I can say is that if my right foot lines up directly with my potting line and my left foot is parallel to my right foot at 90 degrees to the shot line.. if my bridgehand is rock solid and my chin, because of the pressing contact might need a, God forbid, "Dott patch"... if the cue rubs a unwashable mark on the chest of my T-shirt... if my hand and elbow is fluid and truely runs through the cueball... it just works!

Cheers!

=o)

Noel

Comment

Originally Posted by noel View Post
      Well DandyA...
      all I can say is that if my right foot lines up directly with my potting line and my left foot is parallel to my right foot at 90 degrees to the shot line.. if my bridgehand is rock solid and my chin, because of the pressing contact might need a, God forbid, "Dott patch"... if the cue rubs a unwashable mark on the chest of my T-shirt... if my hand and elbow is fluid and truely runs through the cueball... it just works!

Cheers!

=o)

Noel
      sounds good to me Noel ... have you ever thought of applyng for a job on one of those David Attenborough programmes

edit ... no rudeness intended and I hope none taken ... I may have had one sherbert lemon too many tonight - although my question still remains about this twist thingy - seems to work but why?
      Last edited by DandyA; 30 May 2009, 04:57 AM.

Comment

The twist is intended to get your hips out of the way of the shot. If your right leg is in line with the shot then you may bring your cue back and be impeded by your hip. Some players catch their pocket with their grip hand sometimes as a result of this problem. Others will cue offline to avoid catching the hip or leg as they cue. Therefore if you twist slightly the hip rotates out of the way and the cue can be brought back without being impeded. This will be more of a problem the squarer you are to the table.

hope this helps
        coaching is not just for the pros
        www.121snookercoaching.com

Comment

Originally Posted by CoachGavin View Post
          The twist is intended to get your hips out of the way of the shot. If your right leg is in line with the shot then you may bring your cue back and be impeded by your hip. Some players catch their pocket with their grip hand sometimes as a result of this problem. Others will cue offline to avoid catching the hip or leg as they cue. Therefore if you twist slightly the hip rotates out of the way and the cue can be brought back without being impeded. This will be more of a problem the squarer you are to the table.

hope this helps
          thanks CG - to clarify, are you talking about, for a right handed player twisting clockwise or anti-clockwise?

I seem to play better if I twist a little bit anti-clockwise although if I understand you correctly, you're thinking a little bit clockwise so as to move your hip out of the line of the cue?

Comment

I use a Steve Davis textbook stance, meaning that my left foot is angled parallel to the line of shot while the right foot is angled about 45 degrees outwards and the right hip twisted outwards so that I can get the cue as tight to my torso as possible so that right foot-cue-cueball are in line.

Comment

yeah, clockwise. If you are potting a straight blue to the middle then your body faces towards the right corner pocket. Some players twist more and some less - all depends on body shape etc but it gives you an idea.
              coaching is not just for the pros
              www.121snookercoaching.com

Comment

stance ?

the stance is important because it aligns your body ( basically facing the shot ) your body should be slightly turned so that your bellybutton is pointing toward the side pocket ( if you were shooting from the brown spot towards the black spot .) the turning of your body gets your butt out of the way of the cueing arm , there are basic princpals that should be followed ( straight rear leg , bent front leg , instep on line of shot ) but I think this may have to be adjusted slightly because no two people are built the same ,) some people take a slight step backward with their rear leg to get their cueing arm free of their body , this is after the walk in to the shot . remember you are not there to make a stance , you are there to get the cue to travel in a striaght line , that's the point of the stance , comfort should also be a factor . just MHOI ...later Joe

Comment

Working...
                X