No announcement yet.

70+ guys, pls describe the benchmarks of your breakthrough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've always been extremely inconsistent with break building. I think I would actually get rattled making frame-winning breaks and this would affect me for a few frames afterwards. It was a mental weakness.

Now I'm trying to look at the game differently. Take the ego out of it and just play the game the way it's supposed to be played. And if I make a big break, it's no big deal. Almost like it has nothing to do with me.

Not sure if that makes any sense.

Comment

Originally Posted by FerruleFox View Post
      Almost like it has nothing to do with me.

Not sure if that makes any sense.
      Totally... Pavarotti, the great opera singer, described his voice as a gift (or a curse) which he had to care for like a nurse and be responsible for like a parent... it was separate from himself, the mere mortal.
      O'Sullivan, I bet, feels that way too.

=o)

Noel

Comment

I did not know Ronnie could sing

Comment

how do yer go about removing the ego though ?

Comment

I was once told, to help continue improving, take a short breather (drink of water, wipe cue..) two balls before you go beyond your previous high break. When you come back to the table, pretend you are just starting your break. Sort of like having two breaks in one, if this makes any sense.

On route to his 147 Thornburn stopped to blow his nose. But then again he did have a cold.

Mike

Comment

To help take the ego out of it, think of it like this. You are on the road to improving your game and this is only a small step to doing so. You deserve it, especially if you have been at this point before. Don’t take it so seriously, if you do miss, your daily life in no way will be affected by it. Its only a game that we play for enjoyment.

Also when we get nervous our breathing is affected. Remember to breath through your stomach, not your chest. Two thing happen by breathing through our stomach. We increase the flow of oxygen to our brains, which helps prevent light headedness. Also it helps to slow us down inwardly.

I can remember when I was young, in referencing competitive anxiety, old timers would say, “ just don’t get nervous”. I have since learned that their statement could not be more wrong. I know this is straying a bit, but I own a school bus company and train new drivers preparing them for their driving test. I tell them, never go to the exam, telling themselves that they will not get nervous. With that attitude they are setting themselves up for failure because everyone gets nervous. Instead go with a plan. Tell yourself that when I get nervous, here is what I will do - breath through my stomach and tell myself to slow down(inwardly).

Mike

Comment

Snooker Secrets.

Originally Posted by RocketRoy1983 View Post
                Firstly let me say if you are making centuries in practice then you are not far off making higher breaks in matchplay. Focus your mind. Tell yourself that every pot is going in. The problem, very similar to mine, is as Mark J Williams told me himself last night...pressure.
                Snooker The Fine Art Method
                A secret is wasted if not shared.
                Dear RocketRoy
                It must be great to have the ear of a real live World Champ and generous of you to pass on this in depth snooker tip: Preasure.

Tips from important people in snooker are amazingly alwas considered TRUE. If Jimmy White was to say that Black Balls are easier to pot on Tuesday nights and Red Balls easier on Sunday Afternoons; Amazingly most snooker coaches would treasure it as a Gospel Truth.

A world Champion has written that having a "Double Jointed Thumb" gave him an unfair advantage when cueing. Mr hey you.

Comment

Originally Posted by Mr hey you View Post
                  A secret is wasted if not shared.

Thanks for that.
                  Now we know what "retarded" means.

=o\

Noel

Comment

Working...
                  X