Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ball striking issues

Any tips to help me folkes?

I have a issue(one of many) where i tend to strike the ball higher than where i am aiming. I don't notice myself but others comment ond i do notice I don't always get the acton i exspect i.e stun instead of screw.

I am guessing i am probably moving my head up before cueing through as others have commented on that too.

Any practice tips to help solve this?

Steve Davis used to ask his father to hold a cue fractionally above his head to make sure that his head did not come up on the shot. It is also possible that you are hitting it too hard, which makes eradicating head movement more difficult, as there is a tendency for beginners to try and use their body to create power.

Comment

try using the loop bridge , I'm sure that'd help

Comment

Never been able to get comfortable with the loop bridge.

Comment

Well , you could try for a little while more . Are you sure you always hit the ball a bit higher ? You could try hitting lower than usual so as to compensate for the problem .

You could try to redo your cue-action as thats where I think the fault lies ..... . You should try to stay on the shot a bit longer than usual to make sure you make clean strike of the ball....

Comment

Yea I am hitting to high. dont see point hitting lower golfer would not aim wide to compensate hook.

what do you mean stay longer on the shot?

Comment

Originally Posted by aldo0978 View Post
              Yea I am hitting to high. dont see point hitting lower golfer would not aim wide to compensate hook.

what do you mean stay longer on the shot?
              I completely agree with you here, sort the problem out, do not try and compensate for it. He means to keep your head down after you have hit the white, to make sure that there was no body movement on the shot and that you delivered the cue in a straight line.

Comment

Yea easier said than done. Don't even realise am doing it thats why was looking for tip to stop happening.

By the was not meaning to be rude thanks for help so far.

Comment

Thats no problem .

You could get a coach to have a look whats wrong as its a bit hard to say what you can improve on if you don't know what you are doing wrong in the first place

I just thought you werent all that sure how high/low to hit to get the requisite amount of spin , so I thought compensating for it might make a positive difference .

You could try a shorter backswing to see if you are hitting the cue-ball in the right place .

Stay down on the shot a for longer helps you analyse what you are doing wrong

Comment

Ah Samad! shorter back swing might be worth a try.

Comment

Well , I hope it helps . Post back how it went once you've tried it

Comment

Will do though next week prob the only week in about the next 40 where no match, no pre-season and no practice arranged.

Comment

Head down...DONT lift your head until the ball drops in the pocket. Concentrate on potting the blue off its spot white ball about 6 inches behind it. Stun the blue in leaving the white on the blue spot. If you follow through youve just repeated your problem. Get familiar with striking the cueball in the middle asap.
                          Always play snooker with a smile on your face...You never know when you'll pot your last ball.

China Open 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.
                          Shanghai Masters 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.

Comment

The answer is two-fold and a shorter backswing is compensating. For this type of problem it's always head/shoulder movement and the question is - what's causing the movement?

The answer is...1. LOOSEN the grip to where if a friend pulled on the butt of your cue it will slide out of your hand. The cue should be just cradled in however many fingers you choose to use on the grip (4 is recommended with the primary grip being the forefinger).
                            2. SLOW DOWN YOUR BACKSWING and hopefully you have a discernible rear pause. This will help you draw the cue back straight as you may be drawing it back a little crooked and as your brain knows this it will try and correct during the dynamic delivery and that will lead to over-compensation and 'snatching the cue' by gripping too tight and too early in the delivery.
                            3. At the end of your delivery...STAY STILL WITH YOUR HEAD DOWN AND THE CUE EXTENDED (watch Shaun Murphy for an example). This will also help eliminate any body movement during the shot

Terry
                            Terry Davidson
                            IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Thank Terry sounds good. You might hit the nail on the head as been working on a pause at end of my back stroke as tend to be one movement rather that taking cue back and then striking through.

Comment

Working...
                              X