The effects of having a dominant eye!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by poolqjunkie View Post
    You have raised a very good point: why is it that we can shoot straight without an object ball but miss a straight in pot?
    I think it may have more to do with the pressure of having to make the pot that one's muscle tenses up during the shot casuing the cue to go off line--while when you are shooting only the cue ball you are more relax. Another reason I can think of is that you are not distracted by the pocket or the cushion or the fact that you have to make the pot or else... when you are shooting only the cue ball.
    But if you practice these long shot all the time your confidence will go up and you will not get as nervous so you can relax and stroke the cue ball as normal and youshoudl mkae them mor eoften I think.
    i think pressure,nerves or quickplay unsettle the brain and take away awareness and therfore you will hold the cue stronger and this buids up tension in the arm.

Comment

Originally Posted by C-J View Post
      i think pressure,nerves or quickplay unsettle the brain and take away awareness and therfore you will hold the cue stronger and this buids up tension in the arm.
      Have you read THIS BOOK C-J??

I think you would seriously enjoy it, even if you have never touched a golf club.

Comment

Originally Posted by checkSide View Post
        Have you read THIS BOOK C-J??

I think you would seriously enjoy it, even if you have never touched a golf club.
        i gave up golf 5 years ago due to repeated back problems.The only sport related books i'v red where about snooker.The serious stuff is just how i am i guess.....But maybe i put it on my christmas list

Comment

Originally Posted by C-J View Post
          i gave up golf 5 years ago due to repeated back problems.The only sport related books i'v red where about snooker.The serious stuff is just how i am i guess.....But maybe i put it on my christmas list
          Almost every concept in the book can be applied to snooker. There is nothing about technique in there, it is purely about the battle with oneself.

If you read it, I think we have some great discussions!!

Comment

getting your cue under ur chin

hi, im just wondering how important getting your cue under your chin is, ive always played 8ball pool but recently ive tried playing snooker and it has really shown up the flaws in my cue action which i have never really thought about which previously was just natural! Unfortunately for me ive really confused myself even with 8ball and now im trying to start from scratch for more consistency! id b glad to hear opinions on this, thanks

Comment

Originally Posted by bazz View Post
              hi, im just wondering how important getting your cue under your chin is, ive always played 8ball pool but recently ive tried playing snooker and it has really shown up the flaws in my cue action which i have never really thought about which previously was just natural! Unfortunately for me ive really confused myself even with 8ball and now im trying to start from scratch for more consistency! id b glad to hear opinions on this, thanks
              Hi Bazz, welcome to the forum.

Have a read through this section here.
              There is a plethora of excellent coaching information.

If you don't find what you need, start a new thread in the coaching section.

Cheers

Comment

Been playing Golf now for about 3 years, for the first two it was a struggle for me during competitions - completely loading myself with anger etc after a missed shot, trying to play way under my handicap. But about 10 months ago i picked up a copy of Bob Rotella's 'Golf Is Not A Game Of Perfect', it has completely changed my mental side during competitions and general play, a big difference. And with references to all different sports, it would completely work with snooker and i'd recommend it to all of you.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Golf-Game-Pe...9666126&sr=1-2

Comment

Originally Posted by bazz View Post
                  I think it's very important if you want to improve;with pool you can get away with it and also in snooker if you want to,with easy shots and not to much angle.But if you want consistency you need to see the straight line from point to point as low as possible and that is with your chin on the cue.:snooker:

Comment

In snooker it's VERY important to have the correct set-up, and an important part of that is having the chin down on the cue. There are. of course, a lot of other aspects and you should check out the coaching strings on TheSnookerGym and TheSnookerForum for a lot of good information.

Terry

Comment

I always read this theory:

"For most cases, if you're right handed, then your right eye is probably the dominant eye, and vice versa for the left handed".

IMHO, knowing which eye is dominant is also important especially to determine the aiming line (standing behind the shot) or potting angle(chin on cue). Just wonder how about Ronnie's eyes? Evenly sighted?

This is just my opinion. Nothing more.
                      My cueing sucks

Comment

Originally Posted by brendan147 View Post
                        "For most cases, if you're right handed, then your right eye is probably the dominant eye, and vice versa for the left handed"
                        Ronnie O'Sullivan is left eye dominant and right handed (sometimes ) and Neil Robertson is right eye dominant and left handed, and I am left eye dominant and right handed (for some shots left handed). Stephen Hendry is right eye dominant and right handed, so....

Later edit: Nigel Bond is also right eye dominant and right handed, Mark Allen is left eye dominant and left handed, Robert Milkins is right eye dominant and right handed, John Parrot is left eye dominant and right handed, Shaun Murphy is right eye dominant and right handed, Jamie Burnett is left eye dominant and right handed, Liang Wenbo is right eye dominant and left handed...
                        Last edited by mihnea; 3 December 2009, 08:02 AM. Reason: Forgot something...

Comment

Originally Posted by mihnea View Post
                          Ronnie O'Sullivan is left eye dominant and right handed (sometimes ) and Neil Robertson is right eye dominant and left handed, and I am left eye dominant and right handed (for some shots left handed). Stephen Hendry is right eye dominant and right handed, so....
                          No conclusion then...
                          My cueing sucks

Comment

Originally Posted by Dirty_Harry View Post
                            Been playing Golf now for about 3 years, for the first two it was a struggle for me during competitions - completely loading myself with anger etc after a missed shot, trying to play way under my handicap. But about 10 months ago i picked up a copy of Bob Rotella's 'Golf Is Not A Game Of Perfect', it has completely changed my mental side during competitions and general play, a big difference. And with references to all different sports, it would completely work with snooker and i'd recommend it to all of you.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Golf-Game-Pe...9666126&sr=1-2
                            Many thanks for this link;this book is not just good,it's great!Must read for everyone who plays great one day only to look like a beginner again on the next.Made clear what i knew subconsiously,taught me where my thinking went wrong and made me smile about it.

Learn it and trust it!
                            Last edited by C-J; 7 December 2009, 06:54 AM.

Comment

I've always thought that you should be aware of your dominant eye without letting it become the be all and end all. Your cue action is always the most important thing and if you want to see if you cue straight: put the cueball on the brown spot and cue it over the blue, pink and black spots and back to your tip. Progressively hit the cueball a little harder and then you'll soon see whether you are cueing straight or not and whether you really hit the centre of the cueball!
                              I often use large words I don't really understand in an attempt to appear more photosynthesis.

Comment

Same, how did you correct the faults in your action

Comment

Working...
                                X