Stun thro vs Screw (Terry?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stun thro vs Screw (Terry?)

I guess this is mainly a question for Terry or any of the other coaches though if anyone else has any thoughts feel free to chip in.

My natural game has alot to do with the screw shot, I use it a fair amount and feel very confident at judging it over distance.

For example an exercise I practice both for stun thro & screw is 3/4-1/2 ball pink on the spot:

1. Stun thro off side cushion along line of position for brown.
    2. Screw up thro line of position for brown.

Now my success rate with 1 is probably 50% at best, but with 2 I could hit perfect position 80-90% no problem.

Obviously I'm trying to improve No. 1s success figure because of its advantages running along the line but (Terry mainly) if you had a student who played this type of shot naturally with screw would you try and modify his game to play the stun thro?

It's always best to be able to play position along the line you want as in your example of using the cushion and approaching the brown along the line you want so you will always have the correct angle on the brown.

I wouldn't recommend the straight screw if there's a choice as the chances on coming up a little short of a straight in brown is amplified and then your next shot for the blue ball would entail power and top spin to come off one or two cushions for the brown (preferably 2 cushions as you con't want to be cueing the blue off the cushion either).

It's much better (when doing a colours clearance) when you shoot the green to only come back an inch or 2 so you can use a little stun on the brown over to the cushion and this will ensure you end up with the correct angle on the blue and also be off the side cushion in case the angle is too steep on the blue and you have to come off the top cushion for the pink with a little bit of inside siding.

Hope this is the answer you wanted and it helps

Terry
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Thanks for your time Terry,

I knew I had to improve my stun-thro in this type of situation as technically speaking coming through the line with the scew is open to greater error.

I guess I just needed to hear it from an experienced coach because as I said I actually have more confidence in my screwshot in this instance.

By the way I tried your experiment of screwing an off straight green to hit the black cushion. With around about 6 on the power scale I hit the black cushion and bounced back up for position on the pink!!

I assume this means at least one area of my game has good technique?

Comment

hi terry i got my cue done it is now 61 ins ,i have noticed with a longer cue it slows your action down and there is no more lift on my elbow cheers terry will keep you informed .

Comment

Working...
        X