Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Executing Power to a shot

Hi Everybody,

I am new to this forum. This my first question to everybody.I have been watching Nic's Video streaming on Gradients of power 1-10 to adopt to shot.
    How do you know what you are feel and execute is no 5 power? Is there any
    exercise I can do to get a better understanding and feel for each of the1-10 power levels?

Best Regards
    Marianne

This is only a quick reply but if you use your bridge hand as a guide. Bringing the tip all the way back to your bridge hand before going through with the shot will be maximum power. Therefore pulling the tip back just an inch before going through with the shot will be your softest shot. These will be power 10 and 1. You can then place all you other values roughly in between so for instance your power 5 will probably mean you bring the tip back about 6 inches before going through with the shot. This should give you an idea of your pace.
    coaching is not just for the pros
    www.121snookercoaching.com

Comment

Marianne (and Gavin):

Although Gavin's method might work for some people, not everyone pulls the cue back all the way for most power and some players (Mark Selby) pull it all the way back for ALL shots, no matter what the power.

Here's a better method and one which I worked out and Nic has accepted.

1. Place cueball on brown spot
      2. Shoot over blue, pink and black spot WITH AS MUCH POWER AS YOU CAN MUSTER, which would be a P10 for you.
      3. Count the number of table lengths the cueball travels (on most tables it averages around 5 lengths, counting brown to top cushion as the first length.
      4. Now divide the number of lengths by 10 for your P1 to P10 scale.

If you get 5 lengths on your table (or any table):

So P1 is about 1/2-length which seems a bit short but use the pink spot, P2 would be. P2 would be down to the cushion and back to the black sport or so, P3 would be off the top cushion to midway between the brown and blue, P4 would be back to the baulk cushion and then 2 power divisions for each length of the table.

Now, the exercise to try is try using P4 and see how close you come to the baulk cushion and then P6 and see how close you come to the top cushion as the range between P4 and P7 is about the most common power range

Terry
      Terry Davidson
      IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

I should have done a spellcheck on that post first

Sorry

Terry
        Terry Davidson

Comment

Hi Marianne - some coaches advise you to bring your grip hand towards the furrel end when you want to execute less power but keep the same cue action. Any normal shot would be a hands width away from the end of your butt and a power shot would mean you would hold the cue at the very end. BTW I used to play at the same club as you for a while in EG. If I said England could you guess who this is?
          I often use large words I don't really understand in an attempt to appear more photosynthesis.

Comment

Hi Marianne.

Good to see one of England's top women players on here.

Tim Dunkley
            http://www.snooker-coach.co.uk

Comment

marianne:

I don't advise magicman's suggestion as it means you will be taking your grip hand forearm off the vertical when you are in the address position and this is not recommended by all the top coaches I know (including myself).

I would recommend (if you can afford to) get to a good coach. I would say Nic Barrow first (contact him via TheSnookerGym.com) or else Del Hill or Wayne Griffiths at TerryGriffiths Matchroom.

If money is a problem try a less well known coach who might be every bit as good but also be a little less expensive. I'm not sure where you live, but there should be some good local coaches who can give you some one-on-one coaching

Terry
              Terry Davidson

Comment

Hi Everybody,

Thanks for your replies. Some very good tips & advice. I will take it on board and try out myself.

Marianne

Comment

Originally Posted by magicman@TSF
                  Hi Marianne - some coaches advise you to bring your grip hand towards the furrel end when you want to execute less power but keep the same cue action. Any normal shot would be a hands width away from the end of your butt and a power shot would mean you would hold the cue at the very end. BTW I used to play at the same club as you for a while in EG. If I said England could you guess who this is?

Remind me!

Comment

Working...
                  X