Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shot Selection

Hi Peeps.

What are everyone's tips on shot selection whilst trying to build a big break??

i.e....

Things you should look for when choosing your shot?

Situations you should look for, and situations you should try to avoid?

Thought processes you are going through whilst you are forming your mini-plans?

Any tips really!

Cheers.

loads of things really. one thing im learning to do is not play onto a red or colour where the shot after that requires me to use alot of power or send the cue ball travelling a long distance. for example if you are high on the blue and pink and black are also in the baulk area of the table, playing a red near the pink/black spot in such a way that you need to force the white off the top cushion back up for blue or bualk colour. i find shots like these are missable and not gaurenteed. the most productive way to have played that shot would of to either not finsihed on the blue in the first place, but the pink or black so that it goes back down onto its own spot and you are in the vicinity of the reds too, or to play on a red low so that the natural angle is to take you back up the table.

also, when playing a colour, i now always check that is will go back onto its own spot (if its not already), and where it will be available.
    Crucible77's Bahrain Championship Fantasy Game Winner 2008 :snooker:

HB practice: 112
    HB match: 81

Comment

All the usual ones really ....

Always try to leave the right angle on your next ball to avail position on the one after.

Always try to leave yourself on a possible two balls or more.

Always try to leave yourself shots where you don't need to hit them hard.

Keep the cueball away from the cushion (listen to your uncle Willie )

Keep a look out for shots that develop the pack of reds or free the black; especially if you have a back-up red over or near a pocket to drop on.

Always pick an exact point on the table for the cueball to finish ... I can't agree that anybody should ever play for 'an area'. Fair enough if you have options, but you still need to be aiming for an exact point on the table. Otherwise, you don't know how accurately you've played it and won't improve your positional play. Although it's a good idea to pick a line for the cueball to travel in so that if you DO over-run it or under-hit it, the angle on the next ball wont be too badly affected.

A pause at the end of your backswing seems to help positional play especially. It's all about positional play. I've seen so many times in my local club, players getting frustrated because they think they are missing pots. They're not missing pots, they're missing position.

Always make sure that you know exactly what shot you are playing before you get down. I reckon that not being sure about this is why most breaks end.

Try and have the cueball travelling a short a distance as possible. (see His Royal Higgness)

Finishing high on the black always gives you more options and room for error.

If you're practising match play against a friend, play good safety and often. This not only will avail more chances for you, but will stop the colours from going scrappy (as they would if you were throwing your cue at difficult pots).

Oh.. and don't miss.
      Last edited by cantpotforshíte; 10 December 2009, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Oh and one other thing .. Willie Thorne isn't my favourite commentator but he's undoubtedly the best at calling the shots for breakbuilding ... his comments seem to be aimed more at the advanced/serious player whilst the rest of them seem to be there to humour the old ladies watching.
        There's a clip of him coaching and breakbuilding that keeps popping up on Youtube, this is the link for part one. It's well worth a watch:
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3pTXsz8wyE

Comment

I can give you some advice which works well for me. Firstly angles equals options, as long as your not staight there is more often than not a way of keeping good position. Secondly i always play with the Ronnie/Hendry approach and go into the pack early, this is key when making big breaks i never understand a good player picking off reads making a 40 break or so and never getting the chance to go into the pack on the last open ball. after passing up chances to open things up earlier in the break. I would advise devoting some practice to going into different types of packs. You will then learn when is best to screw into the pack and when is best to stun based on your results in practice.

Comment

Thanks boys.

Comment

Working...
            X