Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Side spin?

Hi,
    I'm wondering wether performing side spin in the game is necessary to improve your game. Is it important thing to make breaks ? and does professionals use it a lot ?

I find myself only stun, screwback follow, stun screw..etc in cueball which is always in the middle of the ball. I hope not using side spins will not prevent me from improving my game much.

PS: I am new to snooker played for around 7 months with break of 18

Thank you,
    Marshoush

A break of 50-60 could be made without any side spin. Even a century break could be made with no side spin. But if you want to win a frame with one visit you will need some side, when you break the pack playing the black ball or blue. For a professional player is very necessary to use side, but for begining you have to learn to control playing only in the middle of the cue ball. You can be a 40+ break player using no side spin. After this you will need to use side.

Comment

But remember, professionals only use side when it's absolutely necessary and then only about 2% of the time AND ONLY WHEN A CUSHION IS INVOLVED IN THE CUEBALL PATH.

The only way to learn to use side is to keep trying it since each cue, tip, table, cushion, cloth etc. etc. will react to the side differently, but especially you should try and get used to the 'throw' on your own cue by trying side in different amounts and with different power

Terry
      Terry Davidson
      IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Even if you shouldn't use side until your breaks reach a solid 40-50 standard, it will be useful to experiment with it in your safety-/escape shots:snooker:
        Ten reds and not a colour...

Comment

Working...
        X