Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Counting scores in practice match: Does it really matter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by RocketRoy1983 View Post
    Your welcome. Concentrating solely on big breaks is a surefire way to messing with your head - believe me I know.
    Yeah. Enjoy the game and keep counting the scores are the right fundamental of the game.
    My cueing sucks

Comment

brendan asked me to make a comment on this thread, so here is my opinion as a coach (AND a player).

First of all, keeping the score would be dependent on what the ambitions of the players are as far as snooker is concerned. If they split the table costs, buy the same number of drinks each and have no wish to improve at all and just play socially, then keeping score is not important.

HOWEVER, from the sounds of it this player who says the scoreboard throws him off I think is just using this as an excuse for a lack of concentration. Let's face it, if he is counting his breaks then he MUST be keeping some kind of score.

Also, if he ever expects to play any competitive snooker at all he must get used to playing with a score on a board somewhere.

How on earth do you relate each others skill level to other players unless a score is kept even in a social match.

One last point...every good snooker player automatically knows the state of the score at any time during a frame and uses that to make decisions, such as if he's behind and needs all the ball then he would play safe and bring out one of the safe balls. If he's leading and has a fair margin then it's common practice to put on of the smaller colours safe to protect against the other player clearing the table.

I can't imagine playing a frame of snooker against any opponent and not keeping score. I don't have a scoreboard with my table but when I have a playing partner we always keep score and recently I've started using my laptop and MS Excel to keep a scoreboard. Keeping score will determine your correct tactics at any stage of the frame and is the normally accepted method of playing snooker.

I think your friend needs to realize keeping score will only improve his snooker by helping to clarify what tactics he should be using at any point in the frame. As others have said here, big breaks are nice but unless they are over 70 they don't win a frame and people usually remember who WON the match, not the fact that the loser won one frame with a century break.

Being a good snooker player involves having an ALL ROUND game, not just being a good break builder.

Terry
      Terry Davidson
      IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Like everyone else has said you got to keep score, I'm as guilty as anyone for wanting to improve my break building and so understand whats driving your friends comments.

But how many times do you see a top pro put in a 60 odd break only to lose the frame to a grittier competitor who's played tighter snooker and put it away in 2-3 visits?

Making a 60 doesn't automatically mean you get the frame at top level and its the same in the clubs, you should win if your regularly knockin in 40's and 50's but its not guaranteed either.

Comment

Originally Posted by brendan147 View Post
          Recently, my playing/practice partner complaining to me that the scoreboard disturbs his mind on focusing the game. The PRESSURE of looking at the scoreboard during the practice match has made his potting consistency and break building "unstable". He said, " Winning the frame is the least important thing during the practice match. Break building is the main concern".

I agreed with his opinion but at the same time I'm affraid that this NO COUNTING SCORES habit will bring no good for him in the long run. Simply put, he just try to AVOID the PRESSURE (in this case it is just a small pressure) rather than HANDLING it.

Afterall, if someday we are ready to join any local tournament, knowing how much our scores in every visit to the table in each frame does really matter. And the PRESSURE is cannot be avoided too...!!!

How about you guys? Does the scores really matter in practice match? Any CONSTRUCTIVE/POSITIVE GUIDE/INPUT is much appreciated. I am trying to help my friend here.

Thanks in advance.
          I would say, if it's match practice he wants, then play a partner and play to win. Getting those tactical wins from unlikely deficits are all important, just as the big breaks.

Break building practice can just as easily be done on his own.

So, I strongly agree with you!

Comment

I don't think playing without score makes any sense, but alienates the game. Ie What abot fouls if you don't keep any score?

Even in just for fun matches I like to play for a beer and who's to clean the table afterwards
            Ten reds and not a colour...

Comment

Terry Davidson, dpdubai (derek), The Statman and miscuehamburg...

Thanks you so much for leaving your comments here. When he read this thread, I just hope my friend is no longer confused between break building practice and practice match.

Simply put, playing a frame is a combination of all techniques/knowledges we already/still learn in snooker. That's including long pot, safety, break building and etc etc etc.

I am agree with Statman here...break building practice can be done him alone (if he want to do so).

Merry Christmas to all of you...God bless us...
              Last edited by brendan147; 23 December 2009, 04:47 AM.
              My cueing sucks

Comment

I get into a habit now just putting my score on regardless, even if it is practicing.
                Dark side of the moon

Comment

Originally Posted by snookerfan91 View Post
                  I get into a habit now just putting my score on regardless, even if it is practicing.
                  Which is better than during the practice match? With or without score?
                  My cueing sucks

Comment

With, always.
                    Dark side of the moon

Comment

My practice partner will not be happy to read this thread for sure...
                      My cueing sucks

Comment

Working...
                      X