Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opponent splits pack straight away

Hi all,
    Not so much a coaching question but something I wonder if anyone has experienced. Today I played 11 frames and lost 8-3 but the frames I lost, my opponent splitted the pack straight away each time, and it was a low scoring game which he nearly always just edged. He tried it at first as he was frustrated, but it seemed to work. And once he won the first frame, and kept splitting the pack with his first few shots, I couldn't get any rythym going as I couldn't go safe or control the cue ball for a colour with reds all over the place.

Any thoughts?

The result flattered him as the frames I won were the best I've played in months, but frustrated I allowed myself to be defeated by that scoreline.

:snooker:

I think this is just one of them things, because end of the day it is up to him to do what he wants when it is his shot.
    Dark side of the moon

Comment

folk do what work for themselves, im afraid

Comment

I remember Quinten Hann used to do that tactics
        Everton described that as "bringing the sport into disrepute"
        And Im quite agree with him you know

Quinten however didn't get any results so they only thing I can say:YOU MUST WIN THOSE FRAMES
        If he crashes the pack than you will be first at the balls and thats a bonus
        Good ability to make big breaks when theres a mess on the table...try to practice it
        2007 TSF Pot Black prediction contest winner
        2010 TSF Welsh Open Predict the qualifiers winner

Comment

Yeah take advantage of the situation and don't let him in for a chance
          Dark side of the moon

Comment

Just because you lost by a wide margin the first time does not mean the same will happen a second time.

If he wishes to continue in splitting the pack it could work in your favour next you play each other..
            "Statistics won't tell you much about me. I play for love, not records."

ALEX HIGGINS

Comment

I myself have to admit that splitting the pack in the opening frame is quite a "boring" strategy. I believe the intention behind this strategy is for a very fast-attacking style.

To be honest, it will not give any advantage for any player who splitting the pack so soon. Not at all. It will kill the beauty of the game, which is the art of break building and tactical war.

Cheers
              My cueing sucks

Comment

I like it when my opponent splits the pack because it gives me a chance to make some balls.
                But if you dont have any open shot and the reds are all over the place, you can still try to play some kind of safe by leaving the cue ball on the cushion, or leave him a shot which is almost impossible for him to get position on a color, like leave him straight on a red that is frozen on the cushion, or you can roll up to the red so he needs to cue awkwardly...
                Even though there are reds everywhere and it may seem at first glance like there is no place to hide-- if you look careful enough, there may still be.
                You need to play smart so you are the first one to have an easy shot. When you do, try to clear up all the open reds.
                If you start potting balls, he would not dare to split the pack on you anymore.
                I think there is no right or wrong how your opponent plays but just a matter of you learning how to deal with different situations. Like playing with a very slow player who likes to play safe and push the colour balls to the cushion all the time--you still need to win, even it may not look pretty while trying to do so.
                Last edited by poolqjunkie; 31 December 2009, 12:55 PM.
                www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

For a beginner or an avarge player, these strategies could be a problem because he cannot clear the table easy. I played with Alex Borg two weeks ago and he won 3 consecutive frames from the first visit. After a long pot, he split the pack playing playing any ball (yellow, green...), and then he was clearing up the table. The snooker table was like a 7ft 9ball table for him. I had no time to play a good safety or any tactical shot.

Comment

Originally Posted by mihnea View Post
                    For a beginner or an avarge player, these strategies could be a problem because he cannot clear the table easy. I played with Alex Borg two weeks ago and he won 3 consecutive frames from the first visit. After a long pot, he split the pack playing playing any ball (yellow, green...), and then he was clearing up the table. The snooker table was like a 7ft 9ball table for him. I had no time to play a good safety or any tactical shot.
                    I see what you mean. When you play someone who is so good, it is very hard to win when he can pot much better, and have much better break building ability. If I were you I would tell myself I have everything to gain playing with better player. I figure I would have lost no matter he splits the pack or not if he is that much better.
                    If you keep practicing may be you can beat him one day.
                    www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

I have came across this before, when my opponent was breaking off he would play off the top cushion and into the pack from behind scattering the reds everywhere but leaving a touching ball making the safty to bulk impossible and only leaving me really an option of playing the ball tight onto the black ball cushion and hoping he didnt make a pot, I found it very frustrating however there were ocassions where he left the table open and I could get a break going but not being a pro I was hardly going to clear the table so he knew he'd get back in eventually.
                      Back at snooker after many years away.

Highest Match Break 53.
                      Highest Practise Break 78.

Comment

Sometimes if your giving a guy a head start splitting the pack is a good way to get a better chance of potting a few balls. For me though if this guy is doing it every frame thats a bit of bead sportsman ship I think. Thats not what snooker is about for me. I like the tactical stuff, that little chestnut would just make the frames really samey
                        Forget it, Donny, you're out of your element

Comment

Originally Posted by jonplayer View Post
                          For me though if this guy is doing it every frame thats a bit of bead sportsman ship I think. Thats not what snooker is about for me.
                          Or that type of player just don't know how to play a positive game. In other words, he/she is not a good player at all.
                          My cueing sucks

Comment

looksl ike he just played on your weakness of not being able to find a safe shot rather than looking to build a break with reds wide open.....

good on him from me...

Comment

bead sportsman ship... sorry guys I'm a moron
                              Forget it, Donny, you're out of your element

Comment

Working...
                              X