Stance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stance

i want to work on my stance as i have been told it is wrong.
    i have been told a bit in my last topic that it is wrong but i would like to go into some more detail with it. like why it is wrong and what i can do to fix it.

this is my current stance
    http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...P091227019.jpg

any help is appreciated

thanks.
    -mal
    Age:17 full time snooker player hoping to get somewhere in the future!

I ain't no expert pal but it looks like you're trying to kiss the table (in other words bury your head into the cloth). It speaks for itself...
    Dark side of the moon

Comment

Originally Posted by snookerfan91 View Post
      I ain't no expert pal but it looks like you're trying to kiss the table (in other words bury your head into the cloth). It speaks for itself...
      i dont really get what your trying to get at here lol. can you explain

Comment

I know whats wrong fella.......

You have different colour daps on, sort that out and you should be fine....

Your arm is a bit far forward on the butt in that address position. and you need to work on maybe lowering the buttend a tad, you look to be standing just off line and you are tucking the cue in to tight, on the top half of your body it looks like your all squashed up and tense. do you feel comfortable? you dont really look it... try putting your hand a little closer to the cb too. these couple of things may just line up your stance a little better. dont over-do things tho bud. try 1 thing at a time and slowly slowly catchy monkey...lol

It's hard to tell on that pic tho i spose. i'm sure someone will be along witha better analysis and will go into more depth than that in a bit.

100 quid and go and spend a night up the snooker farm...or if you can afford it have a week...
        Last edited by cally; 6 January 2010, 10:35 PM.

Comment

You need to move everything slightly closer to the cueball from the look of it. Your grip hand seems to be about 2" off the vertical, hold the cue a few inches farther back. And your left leg seems slightly bent in that picture and you don't look that stable.

Also why is every single picture you take addressing the bottom of the ball? It would be more helpful to include centre ball, or 3 images top bottom and centre.
          sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Originally Posted by RGCirencester View Post
            You need to move everything slightly closer to the cueball from the look of it. Your grip hand seems to be about 2" off the vertical, hold the cue a few inches farther back. And your left leg seems slightly bent in that picture and you don't look that stable.

Also why is every single picture you take addressing the bottom of the ball? It would be more helpful to include centre ball, or 3 images top bottom and centre.
            im his practice partner believe me all he does is screw back....
            Crucible77's Bahrain Championship Fantasy Game Winner 2008 :snooker:

HB practice: 112
            HB match: 81

Comment

malachi:

What has been said in this string is correct, however it's very hard to see exactly what your stance is like from this angle.

Your grip hand is too far forward, you do look a little cramped and you are a little too far from the cueball.

What would help is a picture from the rear to see how level the cue is and how far away it is from your left hip. It may also be your stance is a little too wide but again it's very hard to tell.

The recommendation you go see Del Hill at thesnookerfarm is a very good one or else see a good and recommended coach nearer to you. This should cost you somewhere around 30quid an hour, and I think a good coach should be able to iron out a lot of your kinks in a 2-hour session.

So, less than the cost of a very cheap cue should get you corrected

Terry
              Terry Davidson
              IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

I worked on stance the last year, don't get annoyed if u start missing odd shots at first as your just re programming your mind set, until it feel comfitable & natural. Now I feel lot more confident on shots.
                Agree with above how 2 improve, move in get bit closer 2 cue ball & your arm should be vertical 2 the floor when u strike the cue ball, moment of impact. Your probably growing lad at 16 so your stance may be changing anyway.
                If your potting well already don't worry 2 much & change, learn better shot selection, not always screwing the ball ! It's my fave shot aswell and revert 2 it alot.
                By the way on this subject is there a breathing technique while taking a shot ?
                I think I hold my breathe on impact so I stay still, however when originally changing my stance, I timed it that I breathed out on impact with cue ball, from the theory of martial arts that the body is in tune & more natural power on a punch or strike ! If u get my drift.

Comment

It's not a very good idea to breathe in or out while you are donw on the shot as you will be altering the height of the upper body and it will inject minor movement in the cue.

Get into the address position and then watch the tip of the cue as you breathe in and out. You will see (for a right-hander) the tip will move very slight up towards 2 o'clock when you breathe in and then back down towards 8 o'clock when you breathe out.

If you take a deep breathe you will be able to see the movement easily.

Terry
                  Terry Davidson

Comment

Thanks Terry 4 the information, very handy to know the answer. Good job I do that already or I'd need a snooker endorsed nose clip ! Lol
                    Explains why John Higgins has a strained look as he takes a shot 2, staying perfectly still.

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                      malachi:

What has been said in this string is correct, however it's very hard to see exactly what your stance is like from this angle.

Your grip hand is too far forward, you do look a little cramped and you are a little too far from the cueball.

What would help is a picture from the rear to see how level the cue is and how far away it is from your left hip. It may also be your stance is a little too wide but again it's very hard to tell.

The recommendation you go see Del Hill at thesnookerfarm is a very good one or else see a good and recommended coach nearer to you. This should cost you somewhere around 30quid an hour, and I think a good coach should be able to iron out a lot of your kinks in a 2-hour session.

So, less than the cost of a very cheap cue should get you corrected

Terry
                      how do i improve on this as with the bent bridge arm you said i was too close so i should revert to the old method of stretching it out as much as i could. so am i doing it wrong still but in the opposite way?

thanks

mal.

Comment

No, move your entire stance, feet, bridge etc closer to the white so there is less distance between the cueball and your bridge.
                        This will also bring your grip hand more vertical but I think you will still need to adjust the position you hold the cue so that at the address position your back forearm is vertical.
                        Last edited by RGCirencester; 7 January 2010, 06:08 PM.
                        sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Just a suggestion...

Maybe try practising walking into the shot repeatedly until you can comfortably drop onto the shot with your bridge hand approx one hands length from the cb do this until you feel you are naturally dropping down and getting into position more or less 1 hands length from cb and comfy on the shot.

That might help a bit, i dont think i would have went from bending the elbow to stretching it out, i dont see how that made you put your hand to close to the cb and now you stretch your to far away.. i dont get that, i reckon it's more of how you step into and drop down onto the shot, but hey i'm no coach...

Didnt terry say on the other thread you are bending your arm too much, i dont remember him saying for you to straighten it, but if he did i missed it...

Good luck...:snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by cally View Post
                            Just a suggestion...

Maybe try practising walking into the shot repeatedly until you can comfortably drop onto the shot with your bridge hand approx one hands length from the cb do this until you feel you are naturally dropping down and getting into position more or less 1 hands length from cb and comfy on the shot.

That might help a bit, i dont think i would have went from bending the elbow to stretching it out, i dont see how that made you put your hand to close to the cb and now you stretch your to far away.. i dont get that, i reckon it's more of how you step into and drop down onto the shot, but hey i'm no coach...

Didnt terry say on the other thread you are bending your arm too much, i dont remember him saying for you to straighten it, but if he did i missed it...

Good luck...:snooker:
                            I think he did mention it
                            Dark side of the moon

Comment

In case I told everyone the wrong thing...the straight left arm is just to get you used to getting the left shoulder over to the left side of the chine (for right-handers) and should only be done in practice.

Once you get used to getting that left shoulder over you should have a slight bend in the left or bridge arm, whatever you feel comfortable with. However, too many players get too large a bend in the bridge arm and thus get too close to the cueball with the eyes.

Also, the length of arms plays into this. If you are a very short player, maybe in the 5ft 3in area and your vision is fine then your bridge arm should be very close to stright, but do not strain to get it straight

Terry
                              Terry Davidson

Comment

Working...
                              X