Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you keep on thinking about your cue actions and cue whilst you are playing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you keep on thinking about your cue actions and cue whilst you are playing?

I have an obsession of keep on thinking if my cue action is right and if my cue is right for me during a game, or even a match. How can i get rid of these i think they are really bothering and affecting my game. After each shot i missed or played badly i do tend to think about them.

Do anyone also have the same symptom and any advices on how to minimise this during a game? I am a serious player.

thinking about what ? and when ?

in a match think about the balls , thinking about your cue action , is for the practice table , not during a match. Joe

Comment

Agree with that 4 matches ! So may need 2 spend more practice time working on stance n cueing technique if your missing alot of balls. However this sounds abit like a confidence problem more ! Do u find u r trying to talk urself through every routine, and tell urself what 2 do ? If so, this is where ur thinking mind is taking over ur doing mind. Yes, visulise each shot b4 u take it, so u know what ur doing, but ur cue action should now be programmed in the mind from the practice table n should now b a natural thing 4 your doing mind 2 control (basically ur brain is super mega clever, so let it be, it knows this part if you have learnt it right and can just perform the task, because u've had sucess many times on that practice table). This in turn, allowing n freeing your thinking mind 2 work out the balls on the table, and in return ask the doing mind, 2 just carry out the action, but in no way allow the thinking mind 2 control this. The 2 should help each other, but the thinking mind should never replace the doing mind (u not as clever as ur brain).

Comment

Originally Posted by mchpddl1 View Post
        I have an obsession of keep on thinking if my cue action is right and if my cue is right for me during a game, or even a match. How can i get rid of these i think they are really bothering and affecting my game. After each shot i missed or played badly i do tend to think about them.

Do anyone also have the same symptom and any advices on how to minimise this during a game? I am a serious player.
        I think you need to develop a pre-shot routine.
        This comes with hours and hours of practice. If you are serious about developing your game see a good coach who will help you iron out any technical problems (alignment, stance, grip etc) and then he should help you develop your own pre shot routine...(or you can make your own).

This is something that is natural for each player..Notice how each pro player does the same thing over and over. They are like machines around the table because they practice doing the same things. From standing behind the shot to walking into the shot, from working out the table to chalking the cue. From sighting the ball to delivering the cue, even their manner when they miss and pace around the table is very even. All of it is like clockwork and this relates to the mental side of the game.

Have you ever driven your car and got somewhere without noticing your journey (you seem to switch off and drive automatically).

Well each time i have played my best at snooker and had a big break I cant quite remember anything I just do it like this I noticed and there has been a rythem to everything I did.

I have not heard any of these coaches/good players on here TSF say this yet...but I feel this is the most important aspect in building up any player in a consistent manner.

Head problems go with confidence and only you can gain that in yourself. You just need the right encouragement...hope this helps.:snooker:

Comment

Absolutely agree with the posts here. You have to get in a groove where you are totally focussed on the balls as Joe.l suggests. 1lawyer hits the nail on the head when he talks of playing automatically. Your concentration should be wholly on the balls and not on your technique, cue, stance, delivery or grip.

Last year I had my cue altered, and for a while I found it tough to play as well with my 'new' cue as I had been playing with my 'old' one. It got into my head to such a degree that I was seriously thinking of selling it and starting all over again with a completely new cue and case. Then one day I forgot I hated the altered cue and knocked in 8 frame winning breaks in 10 frames. From that point on I realised it was all in my head, and I'm back to just blaming myself when I miss!

If you're a serious player as you've suggested then you know exactly what we're all talking about here. You've got to try and get in the zone, where kids opening packets of crisps doesn't bother you, where sudden laughter doesn't impact on your focus and where you're not thinking about what you're doing but what you want to do.
          I often use large words I don't really understand in an attempt to appear more photosynthesis.

Comment

i used to have the same problem always looking where my feet where checking my bridge or always thinking is this cue right changing cue every week. is the tip right i used to put a tip on twice a week because i used to fiddle around with it so much and the more you touch it the worse it gets. always looking down it to see if it was straight rolling it on the table so on and so on it was battering my head in. i was just looking for problems that wherent really there its just all in your head. when i go to play now i concentrate on the game beating my oponent as much as i can if i miss just let it go you cant pot the lot everybody misses everybody loses dont try to analize it to much just enjoy it.

Comment

Yes I do. If I could even begin to explain the things that go through my mind Id tell you. Try not to though - the best advice I can give lol.
              Always play snooker with a smile on your face...You never know when you'll pot your last ball.

China Open 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.
              Shanghai Masters 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.

Comment

spent your practise time 50/50.

50% thinking technical or developing new skills.The other 50% don't think about your game at all.Don't analyse.Just play.Then take that into a match.

Comment

I agree with 1lawyer.

Work with a coach and then let him tell you that your approach, stance and cue-action are correct.

This will give you the confidence NOT to try and change things when balls are missed.

Tim Dunkley (World Snooker coach)
                  http://www.snooker-coach.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                  X