Jim Donnelly snooker coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jim Donnelly snooker coach

Was having a 3 hour session tonight, and on the next table was a bloke getting some decent breaks with a broad scottish accent, found out later it was Jim Donnelly. I was wondering why he kept telling his playing partner exactly what to do , found out he gives coaching at my club on a regular basis. Just wondering has anyone used him at all ???

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
    Was having a 3 hour session tonight, and on the next table was a bloke getting some decent breaks with a broad scottish accent, found out later it was Jim Donnelly. I was wondering why he kept telling his playing partner exactly what to do , found out he gives coaching at my club on a regular basis. Just wondering has anyone used him at all ???
    Jim's a star up here!

Comment

I know Jim very well and have used him on-line recently but not face-to-face. When I lived in Glasgow I used to play with Jim quite regularly but that was back in 1985 or so. He was a professional and has played at the Crucible.

He is a VERY good coach and although he didn't charge me anything (old times sake) I believe his rates are quite reasonable plus he will improve what you have rather than breaking you down to getting to the 'ideal' cue action.

Terry
      Terry Davidson
      IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Terry, have you seen the replies here yet?

http://www.thesnookerforum.com/board...827#post503827

Comment

Originally Posted by bigbreak View Post
          Jim's a star up here!
          Well i suppose if he's good enough for John Higgins, he should be able to help me i might try and earwig a bit more next time i see him and suss out the costs involved
          (doesn't mention on his website http://www.improveyoursnooker.net/ )

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
            Well i suppose if he's good enough for John Higgins, he should be able to help me i might try and earwig a bit more next time i see him and suss out the costs involved
            (doesn't mention on his website http://www.improveyoursnooker.net/ )
            He'll take as much as he can off you!!

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
              ... plus he will improve what you have rather than breaking you down to getting to the 'ideal' cue action...
              I like the sound of this bit Terry, as ime probably too set in my ways to start again from scratch, ime not a bad potter, but as ever the positional side of things lets me down badly. What i would like is for me to describe the shot ime about to play and why, and for someone to advise where ime "seeing" the shot wrong

Comment

Surely you must have somebody local that can point out where you are going wrong on shot choice. If you are a good potter, you should be making bigger breaks than the 44 showing on your profile. Maybe you not bothered to change that.
                :snooker:

Comment

Thats a good point Acrowot, maybe only playing once or twice a week doesnt help either, and maybe i miss the days when the good players are there, i'll have to vary the days a bit more and then approach someone who looks half decent. (44 still highest, altho do get mid 30's on regular basis)

Comment

String two mid 30's together and you have 70! Just keep getting them in.

Comment

jrc750 I think I might be a good opponent for you. Contrasting styles with the same highest break!! My long potting has gone completely but I can string a few balls together sometimes. Safety is OK. Would love to do a 50!!!!

Comment

Originally Posted by Acrowot View Post
                        String two mid 30's together and you have 70! Just keep getting them in.
                        You make it sound oh so easy

Originally Posted by Bigmeek View Post
                        jrc750 I think I might be a good opponent for you. Contrasting styles with the same highest break!! My long potting has gone completely but I can string a few balls together sometimes. Safety is OK. Would love to do a 50!!!!
                        Yeah 50 is my 1st goal - even promised my playing partner if i do it, ime getting a snooker related tattoo done

Comment

bigbreak:

Yes, I saw the replies on the other string and I do remember Kenny McIntosh and Jimmy McNellan plus a few of the other players around Glasgow at the time.

For some reason I'm not getting my email notifications so I have to check all the strings every morning to see if anyone has responded to me and it takes me awhile to do that

Terry
                          Terry Davidson
                          IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Jim is without question the best coach in the Glasgow area.

Comment

Jim Donnelly

Yes Jim is a good coach.
                              Being the first ever Scottish Player to appear at the Crucible says an awful lot for Jim's pedigree and credentials.

I was on of Jim's former pupils back in 84/85/86 as was current and 3 times Scottish Amateur Champion Michael Maguire.

Both Michael and myself have remained lifelong friends with Jim.
                              He's a top bloke, full of fun and a fine Snooker mind.

Glad I moved to Renfrewshire!
                              www.sbandsa.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X