• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chin on cue

hi...
    this is my first time posting in this section

i have a question that bother me for quite a long time,
    i know that we should put the cue under our chin,...but what bother me is, do we need to put any pressure from chin to cue?

can anyone explain to me why should we need to put the chin on cue, so that i know the purpose of doing it instead of blindly follow what other people do ?

thank you very much.....
    and I'm sorry for my poor English....

have a nice day

No real pressure on chin to cue required. With chin on cue your line of sight along the cue shaft, and then from cue ball to object ball and onwards to pocket should be spot on. Just to emphasise the difference..... try potting a ball a ball from standing more or less straight up. You can't line up the shot at all. Another example....try shooting a rifle. You need to line up along the barrell following your line of sight.

Comment

thank you very much for your reply
      another question is, is the cue must be stick on the chin until we finish the shoot?
      or when we hit, it will be slightly off the chin?

Comment

Probably the most important thing of all when cueing is to have absolutely NO head or body movement at all. If you START your shot with chin on cue then your chin should STILL be on the cue untill well after your follow through. Watch Steve Davis and you'll see him stay down on the shot till the object ball is in the pocket!!

Comment

Originally Posted by ccfook2123 View Post
          thank you very much for your reply
          another question is, is the cue must be stick on the chin until we finish the shoot?
          or when we hit, it will be slightly off the chin?
          Liang Wenbo, Peter Ebdon, John Higgins, Judd Trump has the cue on the chin until they finnish the shot. I cannot say the same thing about Ronnie OSullivan, Mark Allen, or Ryan Day. I dont think this is something wrong, it is just a preference.

Comment

i found that if my chin not putting any pressure on the cue, the cue will be off my chin after i follow through, but i can play the shoot well
            i guess it is because the movement of my head....?

will try it again soon...

Comment

Try not to move your head but having said that I think you may be worrying too much about this.

Comment

No real pressure is needed between chin and cue. If you do have your chin on your cue then ideally once you get down and address the cue-ball, you chin should stay touching the cue while you 'feather' the cue-ball and until you have struck the ball. If your chin stays touching the cue through the delivery of the cue then if your head stays still then your cue has a better chance of staying on the same plane (not moving up or down at the back, leading to a movement of tip and inaccurate striking, which can lead to missed pots!).

Comment

when i do my feathering, cue was touching my chin, but after i hit, the cue was off from my chin, is it because

1)i drop down my elbow after i hit?
                  2)i move my head?

which one do you think is the problem, because i can still play the shoot nicely....

Comment

i'm going to try it again real soon....
                    i used to pot 3+ point in 1 cue,but that time my posture was totally out
                    now the max only i can get 2+, but then i'm satisfy with my posture, the only thing that make me upset is i couldn't stick the cue on chin after i shoot...
                    which i think this is the problem that causes inconsistency, cause i always miss very very very easy shoots..... especially the cue ball and object ball is straight to the pocket, and the distance is like only 1 ft...

Comment

Originally Posted by ccfook2123 View Post
                      ..... cause i always miss very very very easy shoots..... especially the cue ball and object ball is straight to the pocket, and the distance is like only 1 ft...
                      Well if you miss shots from only 1 ft as you say, something is drastically wrong

you must not be hitting the white in the correct place or your aiming is totally out

Comment

keep your chin on cue from set up till stay still after cue action, in order to make sure your cue action is perfect straight as your set up (assume no movement of either your body & head), if cue off from your chin when delivery, that means the cue action not point at the same direction as your set up, that's why you miss the straight shot, especially when you hit the cue ball with force.
                        :) :) :)

Comment

i will take a video of myself play a shoot if i still couldn't solve my problem...
                          thank you very much for all the kind advice and i will keep you guys update....
                          ^^

Comment

i have found my problem by looking at my elbow when i was doing a shoot, when i do feathering, no movement in my shoulder
                            my cue can stick on my chin if i hit the ball softly, but when i hit it harder( for example for shoots that required follow through,screw back), my shoulder drop down like stephen hendry
                            any suggestion how to solve this problem?

Comment

It doesnt matter if you drop the elbow or not. You have to practice to deliver the cue straight. Terry wrote some tips for this, search them

Comment

Working...
                              X