Motivation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motivation

Lately I am suffering from lack of motivation in the game, be it playing friendly frame with somebody or solo practicing, when I am playing alone it feels so boring to practice or when I am playing someone I hardly care if I win or lose. Straight forward easy shots playing hurriedly without care and when the cue ball is against the cushion flicking hurriedly do not feel like staying down long enough on the shot, other symptoms are cueing across, body movement, stance all over the place, taking one look and letting the cue go, no focus on the object ball, which I never use to do.

I am 35 years old and I have been playing since last ten years. I am married and father of 3 years old son. I must admit that I am on antidepressant. I am suffering from chronic depression since last 5-6 years. I always looked up to Ronnie O’ Sullivan who suffers from depression but has able to achieve a lot in the game. I am not comparing myself with Ronnie here. He is the most naturally gifted player ever. I have won 4-5 local tournament, that’s all. But my friends tell me that I could have achieved a lot more. My highest break is 85.

In the early years of my playing carrier, I was very serious about practicing and lot focused. I have read most of the snooker coaching manuals and seen coaching videos but I always felt that I needed somebody with good understanding of the game to coach me, but unfortunately there are no good coaches in India. I wish I could go to Del Hill or Terry Grifith but I can not afford to go to UK.
    Regards !

Maybe all you need is a short break away from snooker to try and get the enthusiasm back, resist going for a while until your desperate to get back on the table, and then play every shot to the best of your ability. :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by shailendra View Post
      Lately I am suffering from lack of motivation in the game, be it playing friendly frame with somebody or solo practicing, when I am playing alone it feels so boring to practice or when I am playing someone I hardly care if I win or lose. Straight forward easy shots playing hurriedly without care and when the cue ball is against the cushion flicking hurriedly do not feel like staying down long enough on the shot, other symptoms are cueing across, body movement, stance all over the place, taking one look and letting the cue go, no focus on the object ball, which I never use to do.
      I've suffered from this - I was struggling to run half a dozen balls in a row!!

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
      Maybe all you need is a short break away from snooker to try and get the enthusiasm back, resist going for a while until your desperate to get back on the table, and then play every shot to the best of your ability. :snooker:
      I done this - Didn't play for about 7-8 weeks.... The first night back I WANTED to put every ball in the pocket. Finished the night having made a ton
      Highest Break
      Practice: 136 (2005)
      Match: 134 (2006)
      In 2011: 94
      Centuries made: 50+

Comment

Thanks guys !

Comment

Hi mucka i know exactly how you feel , ive suffered from depression for over ten years and know where your comng from .

I dont think there is an answer , or a magic potion its just a matter of finding things that not only occupy you but make you feel happy and good .

For me playing snooker again after a long laf off makes me relaxed and takes my mind off other things .

I think you need to find something that you enjoy doing , whatever that may be , othewrwise whatevere your doing may feel like tortour .

Comment

I go throguh stints of feeling this... Atthe moment this is the longest I've ever felt like this but I think that's due tothe fact I've played appaling recently... I've had a lengthy break this week only playing Thursday and Monday so tomorrow I should be able to knock in a decent break with my new(again) tip lol

I get frustrated and pull the tips off too quickly I pulled off my black kamui tip after about a week of having it altho it didn't feel as good as the last... So I pulled him off and now trying an mw supertip and hopefully this will spark my enthusiasm again...

When I'm on form it's all I think about when I'm not it's he last thing I wanna do...
            what a frustrating, yet addictive game this is....

Comment

Originally Posted by shailendra View Post

I am 35 years old and I have been playing since last ten years. I am married and father of 3 years old son. I must admit that I am on antidepressant. I am suffering from chronic depression since last 5-6 years. I always looked up to Ronnie O’ Sullivan who suffers from depression but has able to achieve a lot in the game. I am not comparing myself with Ronnie here. He is the most naturally gifted player ever. I have won 4-5 local tournament, that’s all. But my friends tell me that I could have achieved a lot more. My highest break is 85.

In the early years of my playing carrier, I was very serious about practicing and lot focused. I have read most of the snooker coaching manuals and seen coaching videos but I always felt that I needed somebody with good understanding of the game to coach me, but unfortunately there are no good coaches in India. I wish I could go to Del Hill or Terry Grifith but I can not afford to go to UK.
              Regards !
              Yes, what you need is a break from snooker. Of course, you are not necessary going to improve your actual play because you won't be playing but your enjoyment of snooker and your happiness is most important because if your are not 100% happy and mentally good when playing then you really will have problems even if you are playing well. So have a break for a couple of weeks or more where you don't play or think about snooker (if possible) and when you go back you will hopefully be refreshed.

Comment

Working...
              X