Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 99% is that enough? :-)

Hi snooker guys,

I'm still waiting of my first 30 break, and now I want to focuss my practice time of increasing straight cueing.
    There is one exercise I often played:
    Pink on spot, cueball half way between pink and middle pocket, and then potting pink in corner pocket and cueball following into the same pocket.

The description of this exercise says: destination is to reach 100% success rate.

My best result is 7 of 10 (falling both) and my avarage is 5 of 10

My question is now:
    Is this the success rate of a pro, or of a 30+ break player?

Jörg

Guten tag, it is good for a pro if you are doing this with the blue ball on the spot and the cue ball on the baulk line. If you want a 30+ break you have to do with the pink ball 10/10...or 9/10 (because after 9 shots you are too bored).

Comment

If you want to be a good player, there is not such thing as good enough. You should be aiming for perfection where ever you can.

I've never tried this excercise, but you should be at least potting the pink 10/10 times and 8 or 9 out of 10 on a bad day.

Comment

your 7/10 pot success rate on a simple pink explains why you havent reached a 30 break.
        i would suggest you to do the same practise for the long blue or even just to pot the blue using the stun. if you got the same result you'd be a very decent player and you will definitely exceed over 30 break with it.

Comment

Originally Posted by jantweiler View Post
          Hi snooker guys,

I'm still waiting of my first 30 break, and now I want to focuss my practice time of increasing straight cueing.
          There is one exercise I often played:
          Pink on spot, cueball half way between pink and middle pocket, and then potting pink in corner pocket and cueball following into the same pocket.

The description of this exercise says: destination is to reach 100% success rate.

My best result is 7 of 10 (falling both) and my avarage is 5 of 10

My question is now:
          Is this the success rate of a pro, or of a 30+ break player?

Jörg
          I'm not sure everyone has grasped the point of this exercise. The point is not to simply pot the pink, that should be almost 100% guaranteed on every shot. The point is to get the white to follow it into the pocket. If you play with any unintentional side the white will miss to either side of the pocket.

I do the same exercise on the blue spot with a red. You can adjust the difficulty by moving the balls, see:
          http://www.snookergames.co.uk/tuition.html
          (there are some other good exercises on there)

You can make it easier still by playing center ball and not worrying about following with the white - this is where you start if you are missing the red/object ball.

My personal best effort is 8 in a row (potting both red and following with the white). On a bad day I can only manage 3, which tells me that sometimes my cueing (or concentration) is not up to it.

I mentioned concentration above for a very good reason, I have found that if I am not 100% focussed on the spot on the red/object ball that I am potting I tend not to cue straight.

I have an aramith practice ball and I use it for this drill as it shows me very clearly when I accidently add side (as the markings 'wobble' instead of remaining in the center). You don't need one, but it helps I reckon.
          "Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error"
          - Linus Pauling

Comment

Hello,

thank you all for your answers.

As nrage says, in this exercise it is important to pot the pink, and the cueball follows in the same pocket.

The last days I had holyday and I "worked" a lot on my own practise table with a video camera and a mirror, and discovered a strange movement of my cue arm during the delivery.

Now I changed a little bit on my stance and the bending angle of the bridge arm, so I can deliver the cue without this movement in a straight manner.

Now I have a new high score with that exercise -
            this evening 10 pinks potted and 9 times the cueball followed the pink into the pocket.

I will report if this is a trend or only a good day.

Jörg

Comment

Working...
            X