No announcement yet.

Beating the nerves in a match.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know it is an old thread, but it caught my eye as I had answered something similar recently.

I was just wondering how you are getting on with the nerves, and if you have managed to get them under control for matches?

The original answer I gave is in the link if you wanted to read it (I can't be bothered to type it all out again).

http://www.thesnookerforum.com/board...797#post588797
    If you want to play the pink, but you're hampered by the red, you could always try to play the brown!

Comment

The mind is a muscle just like your arm. The more you practice "pressure" as a scenario in practice or social snooker time, the more likely that "muscle" is ready in prime time match play and the more likely you can cope.

You might not believe it, but it's entirely possible to practice playing under pressure and it's as simple as this: Next time you go to the club, dress yourself as if in match play. Take an hour of practice and do exactly this:

1. Get your cue, etc ready
      2. Put the colors on their spots
      3. Pot the first 3 colors. Don't miss!
      4. Wait 10 minutes. Go sit down like as if you are playing an opponent. Do whatever you would typically do in match play.
      5. Get up, and pot the remaining 3 colors. Don't miss!

What have you just done? You have learned to not miss key shots and you put yourself under artificial pressure to pot them. If you really want to put the pressure on, promise yourself you will go home if you miss. You will probably hate doing that which is exactly what pressure is.

Nerves is something inevitable in match play and the better players learn to cope with it. Remember: the mind is a muscle and can be trained to cope with pressure just like your arm can be trained to cue straight.
      Mayur Jobanputra, Snooker Coach and Snooker Enthusiast
      My Snooker Blog: www.snookerdelight.com

Comment

The mind is a muscle just like your arm. The more you practice "pressure" as a scenario in practice or social snooker time, the more likely that "muscle" is ready in prime time match play and the more likely you can cope.

You might not believe it, but it's entirely possible to practice playing under pressure and it's as simple as this: Next time you go to the club, dress yourself as if in match play. Take an hour of practice and do exactly this:

1. Get your cue, etc ready
        2. Put the colors on their spots
        3. Pot the first 3 colors. Don't miss!
        4. Wait 10 minutes. Go sit down like as if you are playing an opponent. Do whatever you would typically do in match play.
        5. Get up, and pot the remaining 3 colors. Don't miss!

What have you just done? You have learned to not miss key shots and you put yourself under artificial pressure to pot them. If you really want to put the pressure on, promise yourself you will go home if you miss. You will probably hate doing that which is exactly what pressure is.

Nerves is something inevitable in match play and the better players learn to cope with it. Remember: the mind is a muscle and can be trained to cope with pressure just like your arm can be trained to cue straight.
        Mayur Jobanputra, Snooker Coach and Snooker Enthusiast
        My Snooker Blog: www.snookerdelight.com

Comment

The amount of nerves you might feel is directly proportional to the level of your play and that of your opponents in a tournament.

For example, in our national snooker league, a 50 break is as rare as a 147 in professional play. So, just about the only time I feel the jitters is when we get down to final colours, or when I'm getting close to potting frame ball...etc. Majority of time there's no real pressure as simply put none of the players are good enough to punish mistakes severely. If the level of play gets higher, then for sure there will be far more pressure. Remember, pro players have to play perfect safeties or the frame could be over.

I also play national league in american pool. Sure, that game is quite a bit easier than snooker, but this time I play against guys who clear the rack very easily, so any mistakes will be punished. Matches are much shorter than at snooker, there's no real way to play shots to nothing, many of the classic snooker safeties don't work...etc. For these reasons, I feel far far more pressure at this game, even though as a game itself it doesn't really compare to snooker.

Comment

Working...
          X