Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wondering what my problem is...

Hi Guys,

Been a looooooong time since i posted on ere, mainly because i havent really played snooker for months, and that may well be the answer to the question im gonna ask...

I have played every now and then, but I have noticed my cue action has drastically changed and is nowhere near what it used to be.
    I have lost a lot of weight lately (3 stone) and have gained a lot more muscle, and now cueing the ball just doesnt seem the same.
    Has anyone else had problems with this when doing weight training?
    It may just be down to the fact that I am so out of practice, but just wanna rule out all things so I can clear my head and focus on playin properly again! (hopefully)

Cheers
    Highest Match Break - 77
    Highest Practice Break - 101, 106, 111
    Highest Breaks of 2010 - 76-65-62-61-60-60-59-57

I do not think weight training is conducive. Jogging is a better idea than using weights. Have done both in my time.
    :snooker:

Comment

Weight and snooker dont go well together , after enjoying both bor a few good years the more intense my training become the more my snooker suffered .

In the end i gave up snooker for five years then i started playing again but knew that i would have to give up the gym if i wanted to start playing half decent again , so thats what i did .

Comment

Reason why?

A very interesting thread, does anyone know what the physiological reason is for this? Is it just intensive weight training which affects performance or is heavy manual work going to have a similar detrimental effect?

Comment

Just 2 ideas...

Weight training and losing weight will affect your shape, hence your stance. That might then impact the way you cue.

Weight training will generally work "against" flexibility. That in turn migth affect your stance as well as your ability to cope with "awkward" body positions when required. I'm mainly thinking neck and shoulder flexibility here.
          Proud winner of the 2008 Bahrain Championship Lucky Dip
          http://ronnieosullivan.tv/forum/index.php

Comment

The only thing I can tell you is go right back to the basics as you've changed your physique and you need to sort out a whole new set-up to get yourself realigned properly.

Nic Barrow has an interesting exercise where you take up the address position and then close your eyes and shift each component back and forth and sideways, one at a time, until you find your most comfortable position.

As an example, in the address position move your right foot to the left until it's not comfortable and then to the right until it's not comfortable and then settle back to the most comfortable position, all of this with your eyes closed. Repeat 3 times then stand back up and note the position.

Repeat the same with your left foot, hips, bridge arm, bridge wrist, right elbow. Work from the bottom up and repeat each one 3 times and then check the position.

This will give you your most comfortable set-up with your new physique.

After this go right back to the basics on the technique too, starting with a very loose grip, slow feathers, slow backswing and slow delivery until everything seems to be very smooth and deliberate. Remember to keep the head and shoulders very still and do everything in slow motion and repeat at least 10 times.

Terry
            Terry Davidson
            IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

I also did heavy manual work and it certainly did not help with playing snooker. None of the local men that did heavy work, played to the same standards. Sometimes was quite hard work trying to play snooker after 8 - 10 hours doing very heavy manual work.

The same goes for weight training!

Comment

I have just started weight training a few weeks back but never thought it would affect my snooker!!
                Is there no way around it?

Comment

I remember spending 8 hours clearing snow before one of our league matches this season and I lost, so that may have been partly the cause!!

Also forgot I was wearing wellington boots too until I had arrived at the club so that didnt exactly help me find my best form either lol.

Comment

Originally Posted by whufcarl View Post
                    Hi Guys,

Been a looooooong time since i posted on ere, mainly because i havent really played snooker for months, and that may well be the answer to the question im gonna ask...

I have played every now and then, but I have noticed my cue action has drastically changed and is nowhere near what it used to be.
                    I have lost a lot of weight lately (3 stone) and have gained a lot more muscle, and now cueing the ball just doesnt seem the same.
                    Has anyone else had problems with this when doing weight training?
                    It may just be down to the fact that I am so out of practice, but just wanna rule out all things so I can clear my head and focus on playin properly again! (hopefully)

Cheers
                    I think you just need to play through it first, just to check it's not a 'rusty' issue.

I used dumbells for a while, and general fitness, and replaced about 1.5 stones with muscle, and it didn't really affect me to be honest, though to be fair I had a long time away from the game prior to that.

Anything you can do 'without' physical fitness you can do with.

My best friend Steve goes to the gym 3 times per week, and still knocks breaks in for fun, even though if I could grab him for an hour I'm confident I could make him twice the player, as he still has lots of bad habbits.

Another friend John is built like a Rhinocerous, and is one of the best players I know, if not one of the best amateurs in the country right now.

You just need to know what is needed, and then find a variation that suits you, and stick to it until it works.

Review it regularly to see if it needs adjusting. Having a different cue action is all about your mental state. It might be that you have become more aggressive, or even more passive in your approach.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

Comment

I seem to remember that one of the pros from norfolk way was a chippendale in his younger years so if anyone remembers who I mean and knows him then can you get him to post on here. (I can picture him but can't remember his name at present- no funny comments please!) He has lost a lot of bulk now but has always been a superb player and a good concentrator- a trait that fitness helps.I would suggest that the concentration benefits outway any negatives by some way. (so long as you are not knackered from training).Hope this helps.

Comment

I think it is Joe Perry

Comment

Heavy weight training certainly does not help to play snooker.

When I played years ago, my job did not help at all, as it was plastering and that really messes with your body and snooker. One of the hardest jobs there is and take my hat off to a couple of men on here that are, or were plasterers and making century breaks. Apart from Sid Hood of Grimsby, I certainly did not know any really good players that had jobs that involved heavy work. All of the really good players in my days had quite sedate jobs.

Comment

btw congratulations on loosing 3 stone! Perhaps the answer may also involve stretching out before playing to keep the flexibility.

Comment

maybe you are right Mick

Thanks

I have decided to carry on with the weight traiing but also do a bit of running to help the slow twitch fibres develop.

Comment

Working...
                              X