Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uk 8ball, where do I go from here?

Hi

I play quite abit of 8 ball and potting is reasonably good as this is one of my strengths, but my shot selection and tactical seems to let me down, when I play a tactical opponent. Also I have been told my planning in my gameplay is not great

I want to take my game as far as I can take it and have gone in for a few tournaments and just missed making the cut for the last 16 into the second week of county trials

So my question is what are my next steps to improving my game, as I feel like a oldie in my mid 30's wanting to learn the game when there are young players knocking in balls after just one visit

Play with better players, watch and learn.

Comment

Guess I am hoping to see the improvements immediately, I played a tournament today and got absolutely hammered, but then he is a county a player and his positioning was good, I played in the plate comp, but this time my own game let me down, I still have a long way to go, my ambition is to be the top 20 players in my town and I know I am not there yet, how do you know in yourself when you can't improve any more?

Comment

I think you will continue to improve as long as you keep trying to improve. That is why it's better to keep challenging yourself with better players.

Comment

The very fact that you are so keen and seem to be of a good standard already is a recipe for improvent .

If your positional play is letting you dond then pheraps some good sessions on your own with some routines to help you with cue ball control .

Shot selection is hard to teach as players will see different shots , but the top players will nearly always play the correct shot and beside ability that is the reason they are so good .

Have a look on the internet for some good routines .

A good book which i,m currently reading is very good at looking at the mental side of the game , it,s called the pleasures of small motions .

Comment

Thanks guys, I really do appreciate your advice you have given me

Comment

I know an awesome player who went from being an average A grade player to Australian rep in a year by keeping a notebook, recording shots and situations played by other top players, asking how they played it, then going home and practising those shots for hours on his own table. Even if you don't have the luxury of your own table keeping a notebook coud definitely help you to take better options in matchplay.

And if you're confident, you could always try cash games against better players, like a race to 11 for 50 quid etc. You can negotiate a start of 3 or four frames to make it fair and budget for the match, use money you don't mind losing even though you'll do your best to win. You will watch a good player more closely in a long session when playing for money. You could budget to do this say 2-4 times a month and if you win, great - let your opponent try to win their cash back and get an even longer learning session. I'm sure it would pay off for you eventually.
              Tear up that manure-fed astroturf!

Comment

Originally Posted by hotpot View Post
                A good book which i,m currently reading is very good at looking at the mental side of the game , it,s called the pleasures of small motions .
                Amazing book. I've read it about 200 times back to front.
                Steve Davis Technical Articles = https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...ilebasic?pli=1

Comment

Do you play in a league? Regular competative play will help. Also are you playing the current world 8 ball rules? Ie 2 shot carry, ball has to hit a cushion, delibrate fouls etc.

Since playing these rules my game has come on leaps and bounds. Im a very tactical player, its my ability to clear that balls that is a problem!
                  Fantasy Game Overall Winner 09/10 - World Championship 2009 Fantasy Game Winner - Seasonlong Prediction Contest Overall Winner 09/10 - Seasonlong Prediction Contest Runner-Up 08/09 - UK Championship 2010 Prediction Contest Winner - Rileys @ Chorlton Pool Team Merit Winner 07/08, 09/10:snooker:

Comment

I play twice a week in leagues and I do play world rules, I try to practice 4 hrs a week as I work quite late every day except weekends, my game is based on an attacking style, with potting as my main weapon, but I still have a long way to go, as potting is just one aspect of pool

Comment

Working...
                    X