Huge Mental problem...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Huge Mental problem...

So i got this big problem which is limiting my game alot and didn't even realize it until someone told me my mind is not right which in turn reflects on my game.

Back when I started practicing alot myself I focused alot on my cue action ie. backswing, grip, feathering, power, etc etc... and I understand that during practice that is what you should be focusing on.

But now my practice routines have become so easy now, I don't even think anymore and perform very well during solo practice.

Now the problem is during matches against others. I know you are supposed to clear your mind and visualize your shot and all that, but all that goes through my mind is my cue action. Let me make things more clear, when I am down on a shot, there is an actual picture of my hand holding my cue and I am thinking if my backswing is correct, if my grip is in place, if i'm delivering the cue straight. Alot of the times I find that I am missing very easy shots because of my focus on elsewhere.

What I think happened is my mind is switched up during practice and real play. I'm playing like how I should be practicing and practicing how I should be playing.

Is there anything I can do about this? Or will this just take time to develop as I get more experience playing others? It seems like I can't get away from those thoughts. I know the Doctor gave a very good example of using distractors in another thread but it doesn't seem to work too well for me. O and to make things worse I have a bit of OCD.

Maybe try quicken up you're game so you don't have time to think.
    And just play the game... think off you're positional play. Maybe make a game plan on what to do each and every shot and keep it to that.
    Good luck with you're snooker I hope you will find something. :snooker:
    Cuemaxx snooker channel on youtube

Comment

Try cutting back on solo practice and playing more matches. Try and think about where you want the white to be after your shot and how much you want to win the match. On safety shots work out the hardest position you can leave the white and when you have a good chance just think about potting the ball and getting position.
      coaching is not just for the pros
      www.121snookercoaching.com

Comment

I think it's a matter of experience. Are u still new to snooker? U tend to focus on the technic more when u r still learning the game. Once u get the hang of potting the shots, it will be like second nature to u to cue straight or get into a comfortable stance. Then, all u need to focus on is making the pot.

Comment

Originally Posted by wayync View Post
          So i got this big problem which is limiting my game alot and didn't even realize it until someone told me my mind is not right which in turn reflects on my game.

Back when I started practicing alot myself I focused alot on my cue action ie. backswing, grip, feathering, power, etc etc... and I understand that during practice that is what you should be focusing on.

But now my practice routines have become so easy now, I don't even think anymore and perform very well during solo practice.

Now the problem is during matches against others. I know you are supposed to clear your mind and visualize your shot and all that, but all that goes through my mind is my cue action. Let me make things more clear, when I am down on a shot, there is an actual picture of my hand holding my cue and I am thinking if my backswing is correct, if my grip is in place, if i'm delivering the cue straight. Alot of the times I find that I am missing very easy shots because of my focus on elsewhere.

What I think happened is my mind is switched up during practice and real play. I'm playing like how I should be practicing and practicing how I should be playing.

Is there anything I can do about this? Or will this just take time to develop as I get more experience playing others? It seems like I can't get away from those thoughts. I know the Doctor gave a very good example of using distractors in another thread but it doesn't seem to work too well for me. O and to make things worse I have a bit of OCD.
          There is a book written about curing this. It's called 'The inner game of golf' by W Timothy Gallwey. Don't let the title put you off, not a single part of it needs translating for snooker, it's all applicable as it is. And it's very well written.
          It'll solve the exact problems that you mention. No others, just those. You can get it off eBAY for a couple of quid.
          Good luck with it

Comment

Working...
          X