No announcement yet.

cue arm&shoulder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a pleasure to read your comments Terry. The whole point of my post was to share my own experiences and try to point out that the perfect alignment helps a lot in keeping the cue straight through the delivery. Additionally, the perfect alignment is both technically sound and aesthetically appealing. There won't be any jutting out shoulder to hide!

It may be a new idea that's why it's not a common trait among the pros. To be a better play doesn't merely depend on how perfect your alignment is. The perfect alignment is just a tool to help keep the cue straight through and take out the opposing forcing working in the upper arm otherwise.

You'll notice that the pros who have got better alignments than others tend to maintain a high standard of play as long as their alignment remains the same. The main thing in the perfect alignment is that your upper arm doesn't exert side ways forces when you deliver the cue through. Otherwise you'll have to train hard to cope with those forces.

Consider the perfect alignment as a hinge that folds perfectly upon its other half.

Even Steve Davis him self has lost the alignment now.

Please do experiment with it and let me know if you find it useful. But please beware you may have to build you cue action from the scratch up to fully benefit from it.

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
    In my avatar picture even though my shoulder is hidden by the head 'hsn' is still correct in that my upper arm is actually parallel to the cue rather than being exactly over the cue. I must admit I've never noticed this before and haven't really thought about it.

In my defense though that is a posed picture as you can see the camera remote under my bridge hand as that's the only way I can take a picture when I'm by myself. I do take videos for analysis of myself once in awhile and I'll check the next one as I believe my set-up has my upper arm and elbow right over the cue.

hsn...the 2 worst pros for upper arm alignment are Mark Williams and Jamie Cope. Are you saying Mark Williams would have been a much better player had he corrected his alignment or is it a case of a player with a different physique might find a different upper arm alignment more beneficial to him?

Another point in the opposite direction...as you say Ronnie is not aligned that way on a lot of shots and also Higgins and Hendry (to name a couple) have their upper arms inward towards their body more with the elbows over towards their back instead of right over the cue.

Is it not really a matter of 'different strokes for different folks?' As this is not a common trait and alignment for any of the pros?

Terry

Terry

Comment

Your are absolutely correct CoachGavin.

Comment

Originally Posted by hsn View Post
        Even Steve Davis him self has lost the alignment now.
        really, since when?

Comment

Just got my Dad to get down on the shot in the kitchen (he's crap by the way, only plays for fun). He got down, none of this hip twisting, his chest is pretty much facing the shot and his cue shoulder is easily hidden and in line with the shot.

For me, if I drop my left hip, make sure my right foot is pointing away from the shot, really twist into it, I still can't seem to get my shoulder fully covered.

I've got not idea what the hell is going on.
          WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
          Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
          --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally Posted by tedisbill View Post
            Just got my Dad to get down on the shot in the kitchen (he's crap by the way, only plays for fun). He got down, none of this hip twisting, his chest is pretty much facing the shot and his cue shoulder is easily hidden and in line with the shot.

For me, if I drop my left hip, make sure my right foot is pointing away from the shot, really twist into it, I still can't seem to get my shoulder fully covered.
            i'm right handed and my feet are: L is 12pm and R is 1pm. you could even go to 2pm on the right foot but keep the left pointing straight in line with the shot at 12

Comment

Originally Posted by hsn View Post
              Your are absolutely correct CoachGavin.
              I am having a bit of trouble trying to understand fully what you're talking about. Would you please put up 3 pictures for me, one from directly in front where you are in the address position and aiming directly at the camera, showing from cueball to top of elbow, one from the grip hand side showing from top of elbow to hips and one from directly behind showing feet to top of elbow.

My alignment has the chest as close to the vertical as I can get it with the top of the arm parallel to the cue, the elbow right over the cue and the shoulder hidden behind the head and I think that's about as good as you can go.

Terry
              Terry Davidson
              IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Ted mate,

Set up a straight blue into the middle pocket from the green side of the table with the cue ball about two feet from the blue. Take what would be your normal standing position, right foot on the line of aim, but then move your feet so that your body is square on to and facing the yellow pocket.
                Turn your head to face the blue, turn your left foot also to face the blue while keeping your right foot facing the yellow pocket, do not turn your body to face the blue and get down into your stance with your body facing the yellow pocket and your head and left foot turned to face the blue.

This is the classic 45 degree boxer stance and will put your shoulder behind your head as you will then be pointing your cue across your body.

If you find that you can't play this way then revert back to your natural style and simply concentrate on not dropping the shoulder into the stroke before the strike.

Comment

image.jpg
                  There's a pic of me trying to get into position today. I know the camera is not directly in front of me, but it looks on that picture like if it was, my shoulder would be perfectly hidden. Yet when I'm looking at myself in the mirror on that photo, I can see my shoulder sticking out!!!!

Have I got massive shoulders?? Lol!!!!

Comment

Right, here's a video for your viewing pleasure as well.

http://youtu.be/q3nwArxho1c

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16622[/ATTACH]
                      There's a pic of me trying to get into position today. I know the camera is not directly in front of me, but it looks on that picture like if it was, my shoulder would be perfectly hidden. Yet when I'm looking at myself in the mirror on that photo, I can see my shoulder sticking out!!!!

Have I got massive shoulders?? Lol!!!!
                      nothing like a kitchen workout to see you right, and a nice toasty oven to get the elbow moving. looks better. how does it feel?
                      Last edited by j6uk; 12 July 2014, 06:42 PM.

Comment

It's hard to tell with that Ted as the wall looks like its stopping your hips getting out the way, but it looks to me like all your weight is on your right leg, get your but over a bit ,and the weight will even out and this will get you shoulders more inline, without having to try.
                        Could I ask where your chest contact is.
                        Last edited by itsnoteasy; 12 July 2014, 06:49 PM.
                        This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                        https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Itsnoteasy:

It's just under my right nipple. I honestly just can't get this right. No matter what I try.

Comment

Inside or outside the nipple?
                            This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                            https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                              Inside or outside the nipple?
                              Inside the nip!

Comment

You are doing great mate. Please post a photo taken directly from the front for me to advise you some final adjustments. You alignment seems almost there.

Comment

Working...
                                X