Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hsn
    replied
    you don't have to try as hard as you might think. Do this exercise to better understand what I mean. While standing up hold out your left arm on your side. Form a bridge and slot the cue in. Now you will be cuing across your chest.

Leave a comment:

• hsn
    replied
    the trick is not to play with the cue pointing square to your chest but rather to the left.

Leave a comment:

• hsn
    replied
    Originally Posted by tedisbill View Post
    This is the best one I've got I'm afraid. This is when I was trying to get my shoulder behind my head.

http://s30.postimg.org/l9xf2clmp/photo_1.jpg
    Well done! All you have to do is: assume the red were one foot to the left were it sits now. Don't move your feet just aim one foot left to where you are aiming (and usually aim)

Leave a comment:

• tedisbill
    replied
    This is the best one I've got I'm afraid. This is when I was trying to get my shoulder behind my head.

http://s30.postimg.org/l9xf2clmp/photo_1.jpg

Leave a comment:

• hsn
    replied
    All right put it that way that he has earned this place the hard way! But not all of us have that much time or dedication. That's where the perfect alignment technique comes in handy.

Can you post some of your photos taken from the front of your cue line?

You can achieve what you want by; a, standing in a boxer's stance b, moving your hip out as far as it will go by bending your left leg c, getting in to the shot with your bridge shoulder lowered and your cue shoulder raised and playing across your body at at angle of between 60 to 45 as if your were to play a shot along the length of the table standing beside one of the middle pockets.
    I can't agree that Ronnie is naturally gifted. He's just spent his entire life since he was 8 years old, playing snooker 10-12 hours a day.

What I'm mainly after though, is just to get my shoulder hidden behind my head and "look" conventional on the shot.
    Last edited by hsn; 11 July 2014, 01:43 AM.

Leave a comment:

• tedisbill
    replied
    Originally Posted by hsn View Post
    Ronnie is a naturally gifted player. Who said he has got a perfect alignment? His upper arm is in zigzag position in most of his shots, although he exhibits the perfect alignment every now and then. This is owing to his modern day square on stance. He is not technically as correct as Steve Davis was so not a good example to follow as far as the alignment is concerned.
    I can't agree that Ronnie is naturally gifted. He's just spent his entire life since he was 8 years old, playing snooker 10-12 hours a day.

What I'm mainly after though, is just to get my shoulder hidden behind my head and "look" conventional on the shot.

Leave a comment:

• hsn
    replied
    Hsn:

How does Ronnie stand so square on and still achieve perfect alignment then?
    Is this a perfect alignment? http://e0.365dm.com/14/05/660x350/sn...20140501144712

Or is this a perfect one? http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/...-3_468x320.jpg

Or even this one? http://cache1.asset-cache.net/gc/488...Wmor2vMoRHomfj

http://maximumsnooker.com/images/Pla...ooker_2011.jpg

This one is and it also proves my point to play across your body to get the perfect alignment. http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1356836/th...IVAN-570.jpg?4
    Last edited by hsn; 11 July 2014, 01:27 AM.

Leave a comment:

• hsn
    replied
    Ronnie is a naturally gifted player. Who said he has got a perfect alignment? His upper arm is in zigzag position in most of his shots, although he exhibits the perfect alignment every now and then. This is owing to his modern day square on stance. He is not technically as correct as Steve Davis was so not a good example to follow as far as the alignment is concerned.
    Hsn:

Leave a comment:

• tedisbill
    replied
    Hsn:

Leave a comment:

• hsn
    replied
    Yes you can and even above 50s without any discomfort or strain!

There is a little trick to it.

If Terry could let me use his avatar photo.. He is seen lining up a shot at 6'O clock. You can clearly see that his shoulder and the upper-arm (shoulder to elbow section) is not aligned with the direction of the shot. Now lets replace the cue ball and the black at 4'O clock position and ask Terry to line up the shot without standing up and moving his feet. Bingo! he will instantly start looking like Steve Davis at his prime

The trick is to play across your body at an angle of between 60 to 45 rather than square on. The boxer's stance is particularly helpful here as opposed to the modern stance which is not for everyone.

Look at the prodigy after the delivery. Even today's top professionals have a hard time maintaining this prestigious pinnacle!

I hope now all of us can hide many things behind our heads!

Cheers.

No matter how much I try to get my shoulder hidden behind my head I just can't do it????

Can't do it with my normal square stance, and I can't do it with the boxer stance.

If I stand up straight and look in the mirror, I can do it. As soon as I get down into a stance, I can't do it!!!

So frustrating. What's the problem?

Leave a comment:

• tedisbill
    replied
    I think I've figured out the problem I've got.

If I do it left handed, I can achieve the alignment no problem. Right handed though, I just can't seem to get my shoulder behind my head.

I injured my shoulder last year (badly damaged a tendon), and it took over 12 months to mend. Well, basically, I think I've got a bit of restricted movement in that shoulder now. It just doesn't seem to want to tuck behind my head as easily as my left one.

Leave a comment:

• hsn
    replied
    My pleasure Ramon. If you can get your alignment right the consistency of your pots improves automatically with out worrying so much about trying to keep the cue straight during the delivery.
    Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
    I hope you do'nt mind me asking this. May i ask what you mean by : (( get it right and the rest follows "AUTOMATICALLY"!!! )) ????

Leave a comment:

• hsn
    replied
    My pleasure Ramon. Get your alignment right and the consistency of your pots increases automatically to such an extent that often you astonish yourself!
    Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
    I hope you do'nt mind me asking this. May i ask what you mean by : (( get it right and the rest follows "AUTOMATICALLY"!!! )) ????

Leave a comment:

• Terry Davidson
    replied
    No matter how much I try to get my shoulder hidden behind my head I just can't do it????

Can't do it with my normal square stance, and I can't do it with the boxer stance.

If I stand up straight and look in the mirror, I can do it. As soon as I get down into a stance, I can't do it!!!

So frustrating. What's the problem?
    As I said on my previous post some players do not have the flexibility in the spine to achieve hiding the grip arm shoulder completely behind the head although most of the pros do have theirs hidden.

If you think about it, if you bend the front leg enough so you get the armpit on that side down to the table you MAY have a 30* slope in the hips to the horizontal. In order to hide the grip arm shoulder behind the head the shoulders will be around 70* from the horizontal which means you must be able to get around a 40* twist in the spine. Some players are just not capable of achieving this without discomfort.

My suggestion is to do the best you can without doing yourself any harm by causing discomfort and then as J6 says, learn to cue straight. If you can get the elbow right over the cue then cueing straight should not be a problem even if the shoulder is slightly outside the head.

Terry

Leave a comment:

• tedisbill
    replied
    Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
    nothing, just cue straight. i think people who say you need to hide something have something to hide
    Cheers J6. That's good to hear.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X