• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• matthias
    replied
    Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
    Originally Posted by matthias View Post
    thanks for taking the time to write that.

cheers
    matt
    can you see page 31 now?
    yes all is working again, the J6 thread also
    thanks

Leave a comment:

• tedisbill
    replied
    Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
    So how do you improve your shot selection?
    Very difficult unless you've got someone that's incredibly good to practice with.

I was lucky that my mate has had many 147s, so I'd be stopping him all the time and saying "why did you play that then and not this", "how come you aren't playing this red and you're taking that one" etc.

Depends how much people want to learn. Most people won't play my mate cause they're bored of picking balls out. I just saw it as a massive opportunity to see why he was good and I was plop.

Leave a comment:

• jonny66
    replied
    I could see it as soon as I posted that I couldn't see it. This forum software is trying to make me look like a liar.

Leave a comment:

• DeanH
    replied

cheers
    matt
    can you see page 31 now?

Leave a comment:

• DeanH
    replied
    Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
    I can't see page 31
    I can know, thanks to your post I think
    hope this pops it into view for you

Leave a comment:

• jonny66
    replied
    I can't see page 31

Leave a comment:

• jonny66
    replied
    Originally Posted by tedisbill View Post
    - Consistent control and delivery of the cue
    On this point, you must have a reliable and consistent way of getting the cue to deliver down a straight line. Stance, shoulders, bridge hand, grip, Backswing, cue pauses all play a part. You need a SMOOTH consistent delivery, and that comes in many shapes and sizes.

- Shot selection
    This is massive. Very rarely discussed on this forum. Almost all players are concerned with their cue action. In my experience, many, many players could keep their existing action, improve their shot selection, and improve massively.

- Use of side
    It's mostly discussed on this forum to avoid side, and although it obviously complicates a shot, it is vital you can use it, and also know how and when to use it effectively.

- Practice
    If you can't do something, practice it. I often hear people say something like "I can't pot blue to split the reds, I always miss the blue". Well, practice that shot then. Experiment. See what works, what doesn't.

- Stop tinkering
    Stick to the fundamentals that work, and do it over and over again. Every time you play, repeat an action that works and stick to it.... DON'T KEEP CHANGING THINGS!

- Years
    It takes years to improve and get to a high standard. Enjoy the process. If it was easy, we'd all be on the TV.

Good luck!
    So how do you improve your shot selection?

Leave a comment:

• DeanH
    replied
    test reply to show posts - hopefully

Leave a comment:

• Terry Davidson
    replied
    On this point, you must have a reliable and consistent way of getting the cue to deliver down a straight line. Stance, shoulders, bridge hand, grip, Backswing, cue pauses all play a part. You need a SMOOTH consistent delivery, and that comes in many shapes and sizes.

- Shot selection
    This is massive. Very rarely discussed on this forum. Almost all players are concerned with their cue action. In my experience, many, many players could keep their existing action, improve their shot selection, and improve massively.

- Use of side
    It's mostly discussed on this forum to avoid side, and although it obviously complicates a shot, it is vital you can use it, and also know how and when to use it effectively.

- Practice
    If you can't do something, practice it. I often hear people say something like "I can't pot blue to split the reds, I always miss the blue". Well, practice that shot then. Experiment. See what works, what doesn't.

- Stop tinkering
    Stick to the fundamentals that work, and do it over and over again. Every time you play, repeat an action that works and stick to it.... DON'T KEEP CHANGING THINGS!

- Years
    It takes years to improve and get to a high standard. Enjoy the process. If it was easy, we'd all be on the TV.

Good luck!
    There are only a few things which are vitally important and all the rest is just fine-tuning but hardly worth doing. The three things are:
    1. STAYING STILL ON THE SHOT, from feathers to backswing to delivery.
    2. ACCELERATE THROUGH AND BEYOND THE CUEBALL until the back of the bridge hand hits the chest.
    3. DELIVER THE CUE STRAIGHT CONSISTENTLY by monitoring yourself, ideally with video.

Learning the use of side is vital to a player who wants to make high breaks consistently however it should not be practiced until you can deliver the cue consistently straight. Shot selection is the same thing as it has to be learned after you can deliver the cue straight.

Another important aspect is try and think at least 2 shots ahead, when on a red think what angle should I get on this colour in order to get on THAT red. Now this is difficult and always changes because you almost never hit a ball EXACTLY how you intended. Those players who advocate thinking 5 or 6 shots ahead live in an alternate reality where every player can hit the ball exactly how he intended.

Leave a comment:

• matthias
    replied
    cue arm&shoulder

cheers
    matt

Leave a comment:

• tedisbill
    replied
    could you please tell a bit more on this part, "far more important things"
    what made you go onto the next level & making regular centuries now.
    (apart from the practice and hard work ofcourse)

thanks
    matt

- Shot selection

- Use of side

- Practice

- Stop tinkering

- Years

Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• matthias
    replied
    I didn't bother getting my cue arm in a straight line. Many conversations with my mate who's a very good player, followed by lots of practice and hard work on far more important things. And yes! I have had lots of century breaks now. Stopped counting once I'd had over 30.
    could you please tell a bit more on this part, "far more important things"
    what made you go onto the next level & making regular centuries now.
    (apart from the practice and hard work ofcourse)

thanks
    matt

Leave a comment:

• howardlax
    replied
    I didn't bother getting my cue arm in a straight line. Many conversations with my mate who's a very good player, followed by lots of practice and hard work on far more important things. And yes! I have had lots of century breaks now. Stopped counting once I'd had over 30.
    Good to hear. Although I am not as same level as you, but your experience would definitely help me with my technique improvement. Keep up, mate. Target 147 next, aha.

Leave a comment:

• tedisbill
    replied
    Originally Posted by howardlax View Post
    2 years since all efforts you put in along with this post, have you sorted out your shoulder alignment ? Or you already a chilled century breaker only smiling at the past changes you struggled with..

Leave a comment:

• howardlax
    replied
    I don't think the actual gadget serves much purpose really. You can see easily when someone is too quick with their cue action.

I mean, you just said yourself that you start off too quick. All the gadget would do is confirm that. It's up to you to consciously slow everything down and get some more control.

I feel Alabadi has gone too far the other way. He looks so mechanical and "forced", you lose any natural feel on the shot.
    2 years since all efforts you put in along with this post, have you sorted out your shoulder alignment ? Or you already a chilled century breaker only smiling at the past changes you struggled with..

Leave a comment:

Working...
X