X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DandyA
    replied
    Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
    The ELBOW should be up as high as it can be while still being comfortable. You should be able to see the top of the elbow behind the head.

Look at a picture of any of the top pros in the address position to see what I mean

Terry
    isn't the height of the elbow fixed at address position since your forearm should be vertical? surely the only way to raise it is to lift the butt of the cue which is definitely not recommended ...

Leave a comment:

• davidwu
    replied
    The ELBOW should be up as high as it can be while still being comfortable. You should be able to see the top of the elbow behind the head.

Look at a picture of any of the top pros in the address position to see what I mean

Terry
    The problem im experiencing is that if i lift my elbow as high as i cn without being uncomfortable,i miss a lot of shots, however if i let the elbow lift naturally when i get down the accuracy seem to improve a lot. So i think something is wrong and im afraid that the height of the elbow is too low when i lifted it naturally.

Leave a comment:

• Terry Davidson
    replied

Terry

Leave a comment:

• davidwu
    replied
    If you look from the front you should be able to see the ELBOW behind the head and (perhaps) directly over the cue but not any of the SHOULDER should be visible.

Terry
    what if u cnt see the elbow or barely visible if u r looking at the eye level at the front? does it mean ur arm is too low?

Leave a comment:

• Terry Davidson
    replied
    If you look from the front you should be able to see the ELBOW behind the head and (perhaps) directly over the cue but not any of the SHOULDER should be visible.

Terry

Leave a comment:

• davidwu
    replied
    davidwu:

Yes that is correct. It should be braced though as Joe Davis said so that shoulder socket doesn't move or to put it in the generally accepted terms, the shoulder/head should not move at all during the feathering, backswing and delivery but remain absolutely still.

Which, of course, is THE most important aspect of a good snooker technique.

So don't force the shoulder up and in so much as making sure the left armpit is down as low as is comfortable and also as forward as is comfortable which will have the opposite effect on the right shoulder and raise it up but also keep it still and braced during the backswing and delivery.

To tell if you have it right ask a friend to stand directly in front of you when in the address position and the right shoulder should be either completely hidden by the head or almost so with just perhaps the edge of the shirt showing past the head at the worst case.

Terry
    that really clear thing up for me,coz i always thought if u look from front u should be able to the elbow. thank you very much terry!

Leave a comment:

• Terry Davidson
    replied
    davidwu:

Yes that is correct. It should be braced though as Joe Davis said so that shoulder socket doesn't move or to put it in the generally accepted terms, the shoulder/head should not move at all during the feathering, backswing and delivery but remain absolutely still.

Which, of course, is THE most important aspect of a good snooker technique.

So don't force the shoulder up and in so much as making sure the left armpit is down as low as is comfortable and also as forward as is comfortable which will have the opposite effect on the right shoulder and raise it up but also keep it still and braced during the backswing and delivery.

To tell if you have it right ask a friend to stand directly in front of you when in the address position and the right shoulder should be either completely hidden by the head or almost so with just perhaps the edge of the shirt showing past the head at the worst case.

Terry

Leave a comment:

• davidwu
    replied
    See my previous post where you asked me a similar question. The way to get the right shoulder correct is just as Joe Davis mentions in his book.

Without a cue in your hands and standing up, push your LEFT arm out as far as it will go and this has the effect of 'bracing' the right shoulder back and twists the spine a bit. (Don't overdo it and make yourself uncomfortable)

Terry
    based on ur tips, there is no need to deliberately lift the right shoulder or back arm, it should be done naturally.

Leave a comment:

• Terry Davidson
    replied
    See my previous post where you asked me a similar question. The way to get the right shoulder correct is just as Joe Davis mentions in his book.

Without a cue in your hands and standing up, push your LEFT arm out as far as it will go and this has the effect of 'bracing' the right shoulder back and twists the spine a bit. (Don't overdo it and make yourself uncomfortable)

Terry

Leave a comment:

• davidwu
    started a topic cue arm&shoulder

cue arm&shoulder

i have asked similiar questions before, but i still have a problem with it. when u get down to take a shot, does ur cue arm need to be lift up a bit? or do u have to lock ur shoulder by lifting it? if do, to what extent?

coz i have realise that when i play 8balls pool, if i lifted my arm&shoulder, i miss a lot simple shots, although the long pots werent affected.

however if i get down for a shot, and keep my cue arm&shoulder relaxed, not lifted, my play became much better,but i get a feeling that the arm and shoulder is too low. i am afraid this is technically wrong, and i dont want to develop such flaw in my cue action. so cn someone help me with this?
Working...
X