Turned into a pratt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turned into a pratt

In the last year I made up my mind that I wanted to really try and improve my game.
    I went to see Del hill and started to slow my game down and concentrate hard on every shot. Now in a lot of ways my game has improved and in other ways I've turned into a Pratt. I trying far too hard and as a result whinge about every ball I miss and constantly complain when my practice partner gets a bit of luck. I seem to start every session off with a good break but soon get frustrated when things don’t go my way. How can I keep the edge that I need to improve without getting uptight? Can some one give me some strategies to cope with missed pots and opponents luck? I could go back to playing fast a not giving a toss when I miss and take the odd 80 break here and there but I want much more from the game. How can I find that balance?

Think you're being a bit hard on yourself there mate. It's supposed to be fun, why not just relax a bit and enjoy the game for what it is, a challenging but pleasurable pastime. You'll probably find that your game will improve as a result.

-
    The fast and the furious,
    The slow and labourious,
    All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

Comment

Maybe your right, but I need to find away of holding in my emotions in I'm sure this would help me in itself. The point is I'm not happy playing at a low level I get no pleasure from making small breaks. I want to reach a good amateur level. I don't think you can achieve this with a light hearted approach to the game. There has to be a certain level of seriousness and professionalism. Don't get me wrong there are certain players that I do have a laugh against; these tend to be players of less ability than me so I can afford that luxury. But it’s a different ball game when playing century break players.

Comment

you aint one of these really really serious players that aint that good anyways are you?

please tell me your not, cos there's nothing more annoying than them, they think their something their not, all the gear but no idea lol

Comment

Err maybe, I don't know.
          No seriously I can make a frame winning break out of nothing, I have loads of skill and can move the white around with ease. but can't find my consistancy. when I was younger a typical sesion would enclude a couple of 70 breaks a few 50's and 40's. I would like to get back to this level. I would should have made countless ton's by now but always choke at around 80 or 90. I happy to never make the century for me thats not a goal, if it happens it happens. I'm sure that once I find my game I will be able to relax again but it's how I deal with things trying to get there.

Comment

Originally Posted by cazmac1 View Post
            Maybe your right, but I need to find away of holding in my emotions in I'm sure this would help me in itself. The point is I'm not happy playing at a low level I get no pleasure from making small breaks. I want to reach a good amateur level. I don't think you can achieve this with a light hearted approach to the game. There has to be a certain level of seriousness and professionalism. Don't get me wrong there are certain players that I do have a laugh against; these tend to be players of less ability than me so I can afford that luxury. But it’s a different ball game when playing century break players.
            If I might be so bold, you need to be realistic. In a match play situation, being able to take advantage of most of the opportunities that you create or your opponent gives you, getting a high percentage of long pots you go for, playing excellent safety and scoring relatively heavy in the balls most times you get in isn't good amateur level, that's professional standard. We are amateurs, generally have less natural talent for the game and have less time to devote to practicing. With the best will in the world, we will never get to that level.

If you can't learn to enjoy your snooker and get something out of it at the level you currently play at, you only have 2 choices. Either quit your job and devote some serious time to your game (4-5 hrs per day) or find something else to do.

The Serenity Prayer comes to mind:

"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, Courage to change the things I can, And wisdom to know the difference."

Comment

Err maybe, I don't know
              No seriously I can make a frame winning break out of nothing, I have loads of skill and can move the white around with ease. but can't find my consistancy. when I was younger a typical sesion would enclude of breaks 70, 60 and a few 50's. I would like to get back to this level. I should have made countless ton's by now but always choke at around 80 or 90. I'm happy to never make the century for me thats not a goal, if it happens it happens. I'm sure that once I find my game I will be able to relax again but it's how I deal with things trying to get there.

Comment

Originally Posted by cazmac1 View Post
                If I might be so bold, you need to be realistic. In a match play situation, being able to take advantage of most of the opportunities that you create or your opponent gives you, getting a high percentage of long pots you go for, playing excellent safety and scoring relatively heavy in the balls most times you get in isn't good amateur level, that's professional standard. We are amateurs, generally have less natural talent for the game and have less time to devote to practicing. With the best will in the world, we will never get to that level.

If you can't learn to enjoy your snooker and get something out of it at the level you currently play at, you only have 2 choices. Either quit your job and devote some serious time to your game (4-5 hrs per day) or find something else to do.

"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, Courage to change the things I can, And wisdom to know the difference."

Comment

Originally Posted by Gerry Armstrong View Post

I haven't got to the praying stage yet, but I'm willing to try any thing.
                  I have a lot of belief in my ability and am going to give it another year before deciding what to do. I want to get the thread back on track it's not about my game or ability, it's about how I conduct myself around the table.

Comment

You can choose how to conduct yourself so that should be easy enough. Just decide that nothing is going to upset you, nothing is going to annoy you and nothing is going to distract you. You KNOW before you leave the house to head for the club that you're going to miss some balls, the other guy is going to get lucky and at some point the balls are going to get awkward. Decide in advance that it won't annoy you.

You can choose a happy thought that you will automatically think of every time your turn is over. Tiger Woods has said in the past that he imagines a line several yards in front of him and he curses, swears, gets mad etc. as much as he likes till he reaches that line. Once he crosses the line it's over and time to think about the next shot.

When I'm playing, I kind of do something similar. I give myself 5 seconds or so to think whatever I like inside my head then I try to concentrate and repeat over and over to myself "that shot is gone, forget about it, need to be ready for my next turn." Anyone who knows me will tell you that I am a very calm, relaxed and laid back individual and I always appear so to everyone who knows me. I can assure you that inside my head is far from that at times but I try really hard to let go of any frustration, at times rage and move on to the next shot when it comes.

It won't be easy or change overnight but if you keep trying hopefully it will get easier as you keep working on it.

As for your opponent's luck, you have no control over it whatsoever so just ignore it. I refer you to the Serenity prayer above i.e. accept the things you cannot change!!

Comment

Thanks gerry, thats very good advice. I might print that prayer out and stick it on my case and read it before taking out the cue.
                      I do think once you start moaning it's hard to stop, so not starting is the Key and using things like the line is a good idea. I think I could imagine a line in the club before reaching the table and set my stool out before I cross it.

Comment

I can say and be 100% genuine and honest that no luck my opponent gets ever bothers me any more.

Trying to stay relaxed, let go of frustration and stay focused and ready for my next shot is still a battle, and on the odd occasion it gets to me like everyone else but very rarely. Another thing I try and do is not to show any emotion whatsoever. I think I still have some way to go as I do shake my head, sigh etc. after a poor shot but I try to keep that to a minimum and would like to eradicate it altogether as it is showing weakness to your opponent.

That is another strategy I try to use to deal with frustration - don't let the other guy know you're annoyed.
                        Last edited by Gerry Armstrong; 15 April 2011, 09:24 PM.

Comment

I think I'll have to do a steve davis.

Comment

sounds to me your playing at a pretty high standard anyway. enjoy it mate.
                            Fantasy Game Overall Winner 09/10 - World Championship 2009 Fantasy Game Winner - Seasonlong Prediction Contest Overall Winner 09/10 - Seasonlong Prediction Contest Runner-Up 08/09 - UK Championship 2010 Prediction Contest Winner - Rileys @ Chorlton Pool Team Merit Winner 07/08, 09/10:snooker:

Comment

I been thinking about it a lot since posting and I think it's mylife style in general and it's just showing up in my snooker. I don't thing I've been doing the right things lately and until I get my life in some kind of order and get my piorities right IE: family first, I don't think I'll be able to enjoy anything. I've stoped smoking and will be joining the gym at the end of this month, so these things should help.
                              Sorry for being a drag but I find the forum a good way to get things of my chest and there are a lot of ppl who care and are happy to offer good advice.

Comment

Working...
                              X