Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shorter backswing

Hi Terry;

I was reading an article by Steve Davis in which he recomend a short backswing in order to have more accuracy on the shot. What are the advantages and disadvantages with a short backswing?? I started to try it and I found that in order not to "snatch" the cue ball you have to have a very loose grip and "hand to chest" as a must....

I appreciate your input in this matter.

Thanks

Hufro

obviously the shorter the backswing, the more chance of you delivering the cue back to the position you chose on the cue ball during your front pause.

however a short backswing doesn't allow you to play many shots that require power, as you can't bring the cue back enough to accelerate smoothly.

as a rule of thumb the backswing length should be proportional to how hard you are going to hit the shot.

hope this helps.
    Crucible77's Bahrain Championship Fantasy Game Winner 2008 :snooker:

HB practice: 112
    HB match: 81

Comment

Thanks for your advice.

Hufro

Comment

If you have a short back swing, you can use a "flick of the wrist" rather than your arm to accelerate the cue.

This allows you to generate as much spin and power as any player with a long back swing. Mark Allen style.

Comment

I think a shorter backswing is more accurate as the cue has shorter to travel and is less likely to sway off line .

If youre used to a long backswing then it may take some getting used to , not just the action but your eyes will be switching between white and object ball faster and sooner .

Comment

Thanks for the comment;

Till now, my problem with the short backswing is that although I do it very slow, at the time of delivery, I tend to do it fast, It seems that there is no enough distance from the rear pause to start to build the acceleration lke a palne taking off.

Hufro

Comment

Thanks for the comment;

Till now, my problem with the short backswing is that although I do it very slow, at the time of delivery, I tend to do it fast, It seems that there is no enough distance from the rear pause to start to build the acceleration lke a palne taking off.

Hufro

Comment

HUFRO:

Steve Davis recently changed his grip over to the 'Alex Hissings grip' which is using the back 3 fingers and having the forefinger loose and even pointed to the floor. This grip will necessitate a shorter backswing as you don't open up the back fingers and you keep the wrist more stable. There is something to be said for this grip although none of the very top players use it (although Mark Williams seems to when I was watching him while I was over there and Ronnie comes close with his forefinger loose and gripping the cue with the middle 2 fingers but releasing the back finger at the end of the backswing).

If a player can develop a STRAIGHT backswing (done primarily by having a slow backswing and no upper body movement) then I would tell that player to either use a long backswing all the time (see Selby, Higgins, Ronnie, Murphy, Maguire - BUT not every shot all the time) or else to do what I do myself and have the backswing length proportional to the amount of power in the shot (Terry Griffiths school of thought).

A shorter backswing will cost you the flexibility for power shots which you get with a longer backswing however the positive side of the trade-off is your backswing will be straighter and thus your delivery more accurate.

I think each individual player has to decide for himself and the main question would be 'how far can I backswing while still keeping that backswing EXACTLY straight', if the answer is 4-5 inches then a short backswing is correct while if the answer is 8-9 inches then a longer backswing (when required) is the right answer.

HOWEVER, the correct question for those coming in at 4-5 inch short backswing should be 'why the hell can't I pull this damned cue back straighter?' And the answer is make the backswing slower and keep slowing it down until you have positive control over it.

Most players THINK they have a slow backswing and in my experience when I've coached then I've found their 'slow' backswing is still 2-3 times faster than it should be to give them positive control. Remember when looking at the pros they have developed their cue actions over a long period and their backswing can be a bit faster than the average player however they are still quite slow and CONTROLLED. For the average player therefore, the backswing must be even slower than a pro's

Terry
                Terry Davidson
                IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Thanks Terry for your advice,

I tried a backswing of 4 , 5" and also a longer backswing, I do it very slow looking at the ferrule, pause at the back, start the acceleration but some how it seems that the delivery is not in a straight line and I miss the pot. So, my problem is not with the backswing, is the delivery. How can I assure a straight delivery?

Thanks

Hufro

Comment

Working...
                  X