Frustration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by The Statman
    Well I guess everyone DOES have a limit (given their circumstances – opportunity to practice, financial constraints etc. as well as plain ability), and I guess you can never be sure if you've reached it.

I must admit I am more concerned with enjoying the game than improving mine. I would class myself as a 'social' player despite having played in the league for about 12 years. I have certainly no signs of giving the game up until I really don't enjoy it, and that position has, thus far, never been even close.

I still look forward to trips to major finals, it is not yet a faff to get dressed up and travel a couple of hundred miles to referee at a large amateur tournament ... and I haven't yet been known to turn down a game without a prior engagement! And that, to me, is the most important thing.

However, it does get frustrating, naturally, when you can't produce the form you know you are able.

Hegeland, having been playing less than a year, I think you can safely put the downturn in your game down to your lack of ability to play as regularly, because of your college work. It will soon return, I'm sure.
    For me at least at the moment, it's a bit hard to enjoy the game when I'm not improving (rather delclining) my standards. But as you say, enjoy the game is the most important thing, but beeing of a competitive nature, I sometimes find it bit depressing when I know I'll miss one in three balls or so. But I think (and hope) that my decline is due to mental rather than technical aspects.

As for you, I'm sure you'll get over this short-term downturn before long. Maybe you should take a break, just to really get back your "hunger" for the game, I mean the "playing part" of the game if you know what I mean?

Setting up targets like doing one 40+ break each month can be a good thing, but it can also be an obstructing thing that makes you miss balls like the pink you wrote about.

Comment

Originally Posted by hegeland
      For me at least at the moment, it's a bit hard to enjoy the game when I'm not improving (rather delclining) my standards. But as you say, enjoy the game is the most important thing, but beeing of a competitive nature, I sometimes find it bit depressing when I know I'll miss one in three balls or so. But I think (and hope) that my decline is due to mental rather than technical aspects.

As for you, I'm sure you'll get over this short-term downturn before long. Maybe you should take a break, just to really get back your "hunger" for the game, I mean the "playing part" of the game if you know what I mean?

Setting up targets like doing one 40+ break each month can be a good thing, but it can also be an obstructing thing that makes you miss balls like the pink you wrote about.

Hej Hegeland,

If I were you, I wouldn't bother too much about my level after just one year of snooker. It's my third, personnally, and I used to say the same after my first and second years. But snooker is such a tough game to master that it takes YEARS to really fulfill a potential, and really be consistent.
      So I agree, it's really frustrating sometimes when you miss an easy shot that you know you shouldn't have missed, and that missed shot prevent you to knock in a much higher break...or when you play at a very poor standard, and you know you can do way way better...But I guess we must try to take it with philosophy, and to cope with the situation. This is where the mental approach of the game is SO important.

But I know, it is SO frustrating...lol Many times, the idea of smashing my cue or hitting something came accross my mind!
      Ton Praram III Series 1 | 58" 18.4oz 9.4mm | ash shaft + 4 splices of Brazilian Rosewood | Grand Cue medium tips

Comment

It seems we are all in the same patch. Last time i got some improvement. At least i was able to pot 6 consecutive balls. It came after i concentrated very hard, not giving any easy chances away, doing wreckless shots. putting pressure on my opponent by playing safe. It was at that moment he was forced into errors and i took the opportunity. Still lost 2-1, but my second frame was a bit like the old form.

Comment

Update

You will (I hope) be pleased to learn that things are starting to look up! I decided to persevere with my tip, because it looked OK and I convinced myself that it was not the issue.

I did yesterday manage to get my 40+ break for November, one day before the end of the month (between two 36s, one where I missed an easyish pink and one where I missed a tricky red with a guaranteed pink to follow) and played pretty well. The occasional silly miss, but much more encouraging!

I also managed to beat my archrival 6-4 in comfortably under three hours, and now have a 28-frame lead for the year (110-82) meaning that only the most unimaginable collapse will prevent me from gaining a lead of 4 years to 2 this millennium!

Comment

Congratulations, Statman!

I have decided to take on a different approach this time, and so far it's looking good (decent).

I figured my two major weaknesses were

1. losing my point of aim slightly when bending over

2. not cueing straight enough

I have tried to concentrate real hard on these two things while practising, and it feels a bit better right now. I kind of think "now I've pinpointed the point of aim, lets just move the cue straight as an arrow to that exact spot, nice and easy".

Comment

Originally Posted by Erwan_BZH
              Hej Hegeland,

If I were you, I wouldn't bother too much about my level after just one year of snooker. It's my third, personnally, and I used to say the same after my first and second years. But snooker is such a tough game to master that it takes YEARS to really fulfill a potential, and really be consistent.
              So I agree, it's really frustrating sometimes when you miss an easy shot that you know you shouldn't have missed, and that missed shot prevent you to knock in a much higher break...or when you play at a very poor standard, and you know you can do way way better...But I guess we must try to take it with philosophy, and to cope with the situation. This is where the mental approach of the game is SO important.

But I know, it is SO frustrating...lol Many times, the idea of smashing my cue or hitting something came accross my mind!
              Oh yes, the art of equanimity. Difficult to master indeed. Well, it's good to know one is not alone.

Comment

I improved my play and finally will go to play snooker tomorrow or at Saturday-hoping to make a good break!!
                2007 TSF Pot Black prediction contest winner
                2010 TSF Welsh Open Predict the qualifiers winner

Comment

Statman,

In my opinion any player who can knock in the odd 70 can be a 100 break player.

You obviously love Snooker and my advice would be just to try and relax and enjoy yourself and your game will come back to you. Alternatively take a few months out from playing.

I've hardly played since the summer but love snooker and have played for 20 years plus. I picked up my cue last week after a while and was so looking forward to playing. I just put the colours on their spots and spread 7 reds around the pink and black spots area. I hardly missed a ball and the reason for this I feel was the fact that I was bursting to play.

Anyway hope to see you and Kellie at the Welsh Open.

best regards
                  Rajinder

Comment

My improves were very succesful, as I made a marvellous 60 break!!

But still angry for myself, missing easy red

Comment

I am definitely looking up! Made a 52 and several mid-30s and beat my mate (who was also playing pretty well, which adds to the enjoyment) 6-2. I now have a virtually unassailable lead for 2006 and am happy with the world again!

Comment

Good to hear things are going well for you, Statman.

As for me, I'm playing tonight first time for over ten days, it's neck or nothing now!

Comment

Good, that thighs are going well for you, Statman

Comment

Originally Posted by missneworleans
                            Good, that thighs are going well for you, Statman
                            I hope you meant 'things' rather than 'thighs'!

Comment

Originally Posted by The Statman
                              I hope you meant 'things' rather than 'thighs'!
                              Of course, just wrote it too fast

Comment

I have been struggling with form also, only get to pratice once a week, sometimes only for hour and a half, so therefore cant expect to improve to much just try to keep my game where it is at now, I am hoping that over a year will see improvement and try to get up to 40 and 50 breaks, at the moment my game has slipped down to only getting mid 20,s due to lack of time at table. I pratice just spotting colours and trying to get muscle memory going in my cueing and general stroke play. The main thing about my game is Im enjoying it still even though my breaks have dropped down. I try to keep in my mind that the time at the table is mine and I dont have any expectations but to have a great time and a beer with my mates at the end. I will get back to what I was ( thats the competitive streak in me)

Comment

Working...
                                X