Struggle to get a straight pot!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Struggle to get a straight pot!!

I've just started playing snooker again after an 11 year break and am struggling to hit some straight shots at length; sometimes even straight pots off the spot around the pink and black.

I'm right eye dominent and am working on staying still throughout the shot as I was tending to hit them too hard at first until I rediscovered a rythm.

On the long pots I am pinpointing where I think I should aim and then adding an inch to pot it which is crazy (even if it is working!).

Apart from hitting the white down the spots and back to my tip (which I seem to do every time) has anyone got any basic tips I can work on. I've managed a 47 since restarting and am regularly getting 20's / 30's but it keeps stopping me going further as whatever I am doing is affecting my line.

Help!
    Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
    Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
    Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

If you are missing straight pots and compensating (a definite no-no by the way) then there is no other answer except you are not delivering the cue straight. It sounds like you are when you 'shoot the spots' but that is not always a reliable indicator of straight cueing.

To check if you are cueing straight, set up a long and exactly straight blue into the top pocket. The shot should be lined up to the edge of the leather. Do your normal feathering, backswing and delivery but at the end of the delivery when you grip hand is against your chest, DO NOT MOVE and see if the cue is aimed directly at the edge of the leather. If it isn't then you are delivering off line and there could be many reasons for this. Some of them are:

1. Slight head movement during the delivery.
    2. Stopping the cue too early (the cue should accelerate THROUGH AND BEYOND the cueball)
    3. Grip too tight (using your left hand on the shaft can you move the butt of the cue inside your grip easily?)
    4. Backswing too short for the amount of power required (generates shoulder movement)
    5. Turning the wrist during delivery
    6. The body lifting during the backswing (usually caused by not relaxing the grip at the end of the backswing)
    7. Backswing is too fast (a slower backswing is much, much better for accuracy)
    8. Using your shoulder muscle before the end of the delivery (causes body movement and off-line cueing)
    9. Line of aim is not correct (the long straight blues should confirm this)

The best way to analyse this problem is to take a video of yourself making the long blues. Shoot from directly behind the cue and put white chalk on the end of the butt so you can see it easier. Then download the video and play in back frame-by-frame and see what happens when the butt goes off line (do a search here on TSF for 'Kinovea' which is freeware and it will allow you to do the frame-by-frame and slow motion).

Terry
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Hi Terry

Blimey, I can't believe the speed of your response and so in-depth.

I'm sure I have opinions about what I'm doing wrong but I'll start with the straight blue and see if it reveals anything obvious. Failing that I guess it's out with the video camera.

I'll let you know how I get on when I've tried them.

Thanks again

Marc
      Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
      Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
      Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Great tips there, Terry.
        JP Majestic
        3/4
        57"
        17oz
        9.5mm Elk