Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever changing cue action HELP

Hi there,

I am struggling with my game at the moment and I beleive the problem is my ever changing cue action. When I start to play bad with my natural cue action I try to change it hope of potting a ball. Hope someone understands what I am talking about and if anyone could give any advice about my problem that would be nice. Thanks

You should try and get a coaching lesson to ensure your basic technique is good and then use what the coach tells you ALL THE TIME no matter what happens in a session.

Changing your technique day-to-day is one of the worst things you can do

Terry
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

I tyhink its always a bonus if you can fall back on a different action / technique when thing are,nt going to plan , but it has to be tried and tested and you have to be comfortable with it .

When i,m not hitting the ball correct i change my action to shorter feathering and depends how i feel the speed will be different , but i practice this regularly and know it works under pressure .

If the action you adopt is not comfortable and you dont feel confident with it then pheraps it,s advisable sticking with your natural game and try to find your form .

Once you can play the game its mostly upstairs in the head where most problems lie . Everybody has a poor patch , its how you deal with it that matters .

Comment

For the past year I've been changing my cue action up to 4 or 5 times every single day, which practically destroyed my game. I took a month or two off and came back with the mentality that I would stick with my natural cue action no matter what. It's only been a week but I'm already playing better than I was when I gave it a break and I'm actually enjoying playing for the first time in a long time. I think Terry has it right, go to see a coach so he can put you on the right track and make sure your basics are correct and from then stick with it and if you have a bad day soldier on through it. It can be hard sometimes but it's what you have to do.

Comment

Originally Posted by Theguywithaplan View Post
          For the past year I've been changing my cue action up to 4 or 5 times every single day, which practically destroyed my game. I took a month or two off and came back with the mentality that I would stick with my natural cue action no matter what. It's only been a week but I'm already playing better than I was when I gave it a break and I'm actually enjoying playing for the first time in a long time. I think Terry has it right, go to see a coach so he can put you on the right track and make sure your basics are correct and from then stick with it and if you have a bad day soldier on through it. It can be hard sometimes but it's what you have to do.
          Sent you a PM, and email also.........check them out and get back to me if needed.

Comment

wow, i could have started this thread word for word! At least I'm not alone. I've got an appointment with Nigel bond next week cos I've hit a wall from constantly changing things the last few months. I've forgotten what default is!..

Comment

It´s indeed best to see a coach who can analise your game. If you don´t want to do this, it might be a good idea to spend some time practising all the basics again. Main reason: you might miss balls caused by something else than your cue action.

Stance (are you in balance during shot)
              Sighting (are you striking the cueball dead center, is your sighting routine the same during every shot)
              Grip
              Bridge & cue arm
              Cue action

Good luck.

Comment

Originally Posted by Turn up the Bas View Post
                It´s indeed best to see a coach who can analise your game. If you don´t want to do this, it might be a good idea to spend some time practising all the basics again. Main reason: you might miss balls caused by something else than your cue action.

Stance (are you in balance during shot)
                Sighting (are you striking the cueball dead center, is your sighting routine the same during every shot)
                Grip
                Bridge & cue arm
                Cue action

Good luck.
                Yes, changing your cue action is definitely wrong.

Regarding hitting the cue ball dead center is very true. However, some shots need some side time to time, when playing those shots the "cueing straight" rule applies at all times and is needed to create the desired action off the object ball.
                JP Majestic
                3/4
                57"
                17oz
                9.5mm Elk

Comment

Working...
                X