Topspin.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Topspin.....

After about 5 mins into a session with a very good player, he noticed I play with topspin nearly every shot! This was something I was unaware of and despite being made aware of it, I still kept doing it!!!!!

Lots of stun and screw shot practice for me I recon, anybody else got any tips to try and get me out of this habbit? No wonder my possitional play is so awful amongt the balls. Long potting is still pretty senstional though!
    One day I'll make a century, I've knocked in a 51!

Try lowering your bridge

Comment

Originally Posted by hotpot View Post
      Try lowering your bridge
      Spot on Either the bridge is high, or you're dropping the grip hand/arm/elbow/shoulder/body on the shot and raising the tip.

The best way I've found for learning/practicing stun/screw is to set up a slightly off straight shot to the green pocket (for a right hander, yellow for left), white less than 1ft from the object ball and to play it softly and just aim for 1ft of screw (or less).

Contrary to normal, I would start by looking at the spot on the white you want to hit, and make sure you're hitting it. Keep the grip loose and drive the hand to the chest. You don't need to hit it hard to generate some screw, you just have to hit it in the right place with a nice loose relaxed grip - tension is the enemy of speed/momentum
      "Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error"
      - Linus Pauling

Comment

I don't think my bridge is too high, just I've probably always unconsciously hit the ball with top spin!

I'm also struggling with jabbing at the balls when amongst them, the reason my long game is so good is that I'm striking through the balls, I tend to peck at them when amongst them hence missing so many easy, easy pots.

Made a conscious effort to play the cueball lower earlier and try new things, certainly needs more work but felt more confident!

Comment

I don't think my bridge is too high, just I've probably always unconsciously hit the ball with top spin!

I'm also struggling with jabbing at the balls when amongst them, the reason my long game is so good is that I'm striking through the balls, I tend to peck at them when amongst them hence missing so many easy, easy pots.

Made a conscious effort to play the cueball lower earlier and try new things, certainly needs more work but felt more confident!

Comment

Just watching some footage of myself playing last night, 1st shot am tight on the top cushion from the break off, slam a long red in, then knock the yellow in and into the pack, unkind split. utter pants after that! Miss so many easy shots! How can I knock so many great long reds in yet miss so many **** easy ones? All in the cue action me thinks, play through the ball on long shots and jab at the short ones!

Comment

Originally Posted by DWOT View Post
              Just watching some footage of myself playing last night, 1st shot am tight on the top cushion from the break off, slam a long red in, then knock the yellow in and into the pack, unkind split. utter pants after that! Miss so many easy shots! How can I knock so many great long reds in yet miss so many **** easy ones? All in the cue action me thinks, play through the ball on long shots and jab at the short ones!
              I know exactly what ya mean bud, annoying too say the least eh. i do exactly the same. Some of the long ones i pot are top notch but in amongst the balls like you i miss sitters...GRRRRR, does my head in. i do need to practice more though, (but i keep threatening myself to do that all the time)..

Comment

Try shortening the bridge when amongst the balls, not much just 1inch or so. Come up the cue by a similar amount (to get the standard setup again). The consciously take a shorter backswing and push through to the chest. You can setup a practice shot anywhere on the table with the white 1ft or so behind.
                "Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error"
                - Linus Pauling

Comment

Originally Posted by nrage View Post
                  Try shortening the bridge when amongst the balls, not much just 1inch or so. Come up the cue by a similar amount (to get the standard setup again). The consciously take a shorter backswing and push through to the chest. You can setup a practice shot anywhere on the table with the white 1ft or so behind.
                  I'll give it a go fella!

Comment

Spot on yer shorten the grip when in the balls and dont take then for granted all shots are missed when taken as to easy .

Comment

Working...
                    X