Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cue action?

Hi,

Where about on the butt of your cue should your hand be?should it be gripping the back?

It all depends how long the cue is , how long youre arms are , how much bend you have in your bride arm . Ideally youre ceuing forearm should be vertical , and you should have approx 10-12 " of cue past your bridge at the address position , though some will prefer slightly more or less .

Comment

Originally Posted by aucott80 View Post
      Hi,

Where about on the butt of your cue should your hand be?should it be gripping the back?
      Hotpot has it right, here is how you find the recommended stance/position.

1. place the white in front of the brown spot, so the nearest edge of the white is over the spot.
      2. place your bridge hand on the arc of the 1/2 circle so the V (where the cue rests) is directly over the arc.
      3. get down into a comfortable stance with the cue tip less than 1 inch from the white and the cue as level as possible.
      4. get a friend to move your grip hand along the cue until your forearm is vertical.

At this point, ideally, your grip hand will be directly above your back foot. If not, have a friend place a coin or similar on the ground directly below your grip hand, stand up, stand 1 ft back from the coin and walk into the shot; back foot onto the coin, front foot in it's usual position. Get down on the shot. Check bridge is correct, check grip hand is over the foot.

Depending on your arm length, bridge arm bend, cue length, etc you may find your grip hand is several inches up from the end of the cue, this is fine. It's only going to be a problem if you are 5+ inches or more and the cue is weighted toward the butt, causing the tip to rise on shots.
      "Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error"
      - Linus Pauling

Comment

spot on with that advice one more thing after you have moved your grip hand up or down the cue put some tape around the cue in front of your hand so you know were to hold from then on .

Comment

Originally Posted by mick 142 View Post
          spot on with that advice one more thing after you have moved your grip hand up or down the cue put some tape around the cue in front of your hand so you know were to hold from then on .
          Thanks, I usually remember to mention that

It was something I did myself, along with placing a small square of tape on the shaft above my V. The tape was small enough that it did not rub on my bridge hand. It let me gauge how much longer/shorter my bridge was on various shots like playing off a rail or bridging over balls where you might shorten or lengthen the bridge distance. If I was 1 inch short on the bridge, I moved my grip 1 inch up the cue.

On shots with a very short bridge, like white frozen to the cushion or bridging over a frozen ball I tend to move the grip even further up the cue so that my forearm is actually forward of the normal position, this helps me drive the cue into my chest/straight on these and gives me a bit more control.
          "Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error"
          - Linus Pauling

Comment

The Terry Griffiths school recommends the tape on the butt (just one layer) in front of the bridge hand and also a light pencil mark on the shaft at 9" and 12" to see if you 'V' falls between them. (Don't dig the pencil into the shaft, just get a soft HB pencil and rub it off when you're done with the measurements and it becomes natural).

I think anything more than 4" handing off the back of the grip hand means the player should drop 1" on his cue length, but it's very important to get the foot under the grip hand, forearm vertical and bridge arm fairly straight.

Terry
            Terry Davidson
            IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Working...
            X