Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to stop tip moving from side to side?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to stop tip moving from side to side?

Hi,

I'm playing snooker for a while now and yesterday I recognized that I'm doing something wrong: when I go down to shot my cue starts to move sideways although I think I'm moving my left arm straight (left hand player btw.). My stand feels quite comfort, and most times I do straight shots. But it's irritating to see the tip moving around the center of white!

Sometimes the cue ball does not follow my line of aim and hits the object ball more left than wanted. So I'm definitely do something wrong but just can't figure it out! Maybe my grip is wrong? Moving my grip-hand while cueing? When I see this I start to think about the problem the whole evening.....

I am sure you will get some more indepth guidance on what is going on and how to correct it, but my first thoughts were that you probably have a gap between you body and the cue. So as you deliver the cue this gap allows cue to "waggle".
    Also this is waggle could be due to your left forearm not being vertical, see if a friend can view you, or video yourself, from behind to judge whether this is so.
    Hope to see some more indepth analysis.
    All the best
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Well I think my left forearm is the problem too. There`s no gap between the cue and my body, so I think it just could be forearm or hand. Got to find it out exactly. But how do I stop with it and fix the problem?

Comment

Originally Posted by PJLuckyStrike View Post
        Well I think my left forearm is the problem too. There`s no gap between the cue and my body, so I think it just could be forearm or hand. Got to find it out exactly. But how do I stop with it and fix the problem?
        A coach on here did once mention to test a cue action is to cue into the opening of a soft-drink bottle, any small movement will be obvious and any adjustments you do will clearly show as working or not.

I just found this site:
        http://www.snookergames.co.uk/tuition.html
        it does not say how to fix a problem but a good way of judging and practicing your cue action.
        Last edited by DeanH; 22 July 2011, 01:16 PM.
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

The cue should run in a channel of bridge, chin, chest and grip and if you're doing that then there's no way it can 'waggle' although some movement is still possible as you don't want it too tight on the chin and chest.

You didn't say if this was happening on the backswing or delivery however the most common faults that cause this are:

1. Upper body movement (ensure stance is stable and chin remains on the cue)
          2. Grip too tight (cue should be able to slide freely in the grip at all times until the end of the delivery) Grip only with the forefinger.
          3. No front pause (before starting final backsing stop the cue at the cueball for 1-2 seconds)
          4. Backswing too fast and/or too short (it has to be slow enough so you can control it and keep it straight - yours is most likely too fast)
          5. No rear pause (not absolutely necessary, but it helps)
          6. Accelerating the cue too quickly on delivery (acceleration should be smooth, like an aircraft taking off, start slow)
          7. Not 'driving' the grip hand through to the chest on delivery (do this on every shot)
          8. Not remaining still at the end of the delivery for a second or two. (do this on every shot too, even safety shots)

I hope this gives you enough to check out and hopefully solve your problem

Terry
          Terry Davidson
          IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by PJLuckyStrike View Post
            There should be a gap of about 2 inches between your cue and your body, and as you deliver the cue your hand should move to your chest. Sounds to me as though, having no gap between cue and body, you are trying to compensate for it on your delivery.
            Concentrate on getting your set-up right, and see how it progresses.

Comment

tommy:

For 'body' I think he was talking about his chest rather than his left hip. It would be the grip hand hitting the hip anyway and not the cue I would think

Terry
              Terry Davidson

Comment

Yes reading it again Terry, I see you are right. I can't picture in my mind why his tip is wandering off line though. I always was much better being able to see an action, rather than read about it. Only thing I can think of is some body movement on the shot, which I see you have already mentioned.

By the way, I have been trying the blue spot/cue ball on brown spot routine you mentioned to me. Then I started moving the cue ball along the baulk line, firing into both pockets. My potting is definately improving. Usually attain around 80% or more most of the time. Still having a bit of a problem building bigger breaks though - seem to be falling down on cue ball control a little..

Tom

Comment

Tom:

I think you are right and it's upper body movement causing the problem but surely a player can tell if he's moving on the shot? I know I can as I always cue across the cueball just like he's doing.

Good percentage on the long blues from everywhere on the baulk line. 80% means that you should be taking all these shots on even in matches and playing position from them. What I don't get is if you can pot the long balls at any angle at 80% (which would be very near pro standard by the way) then why can't you get tons most days.

My answer is it must be your cueball control. Do you decide on power/height/side BEFORE you get down on the shot? Are you changing your mind when down on the shot? Or perhaps it's those really low power roll shots getting you down?

I would recommend you use the line-up BUT choose your next red when you are on a red or else try taking the reds in precise order from black to blue spots and ONLY play for either the red you decided on or else the next red in sequence since your potting is excellent you should be able to get the hang of this although I will admit it's tough to take them in order as 1in in missed position can cost you the next red and thus the break.

But when you miss don't re-set all the balls. Just re-set the shot you missed and keep playing it until you get BOTH the pot and the precise position you wanted. That way you get positive reinforcement

Terry
                  Last edited by Terry Davidson; 23 July 2011, 12:46 AM.
                  Terry Davidson

Comment

Do you think the problem perhaps could be a twisting of the wrist? I've seen players with perfect setups but the cue doesn't come back and forward on a completely straight path because they are twisting on both the backswing and delivery.

Comment

Terry

Yes I can always feel it if I am moving on the shot. Most times these days, I am not moving at all, and I am pleased with my whole cue action and address position.

Thanks for the practice routines. I will be trying them out a little later. Its got me stuffed as to why I can't bang in big breaks like I used to. Some of the guys I play with say they think I am the best single ball potter they have seen, and its true I do pull off some amazing pots. Sometimes I control the ball quite well, and then fall down on a silly pot, like pink to middle. Maybe after this tuesday, when I have had my eye done, things will improve.

Tom

Just wondered what thoughts you had on this. I have a dominant right eye, but have always played with cue in centre of the chin. I have just been practising and moved the cue to under my right eye. The results were that I have about the same success rate as with the cue centre chin. Do you think that I will eradicate the bad misses if I stick to cue under right eye, or should I continue the way I have always played?
                      Last edited by tommygunner1309; 23 July 2011, 09:26 AM.

Comment

If your upper neck will handle it I would recommend keeping the cue on centre chin but turning your head slightly to the left to bring the cue more under the right eye. I turn my head slightly to the right for my left eye.

If you alter where the cue aligns on your chin then there should also be some adjustments to your set-up and alignment and this may cause you more problems than it's worth. However, this is just my opinion as I prefer to see a player keep his alignment and turn the head slightly to favour a preferred eye but only if the player feels he should cue under the preferred eye.

Terry
                        Terry Davidson

Comment

Working...
                        X