Practicing on a 6 foot snooker table?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Practicing on a 6 foot snooker table?

I have found a used 6 foot snooker table for a very cheap price. Extremely cheap.

I was just wondering, because I can't go to the club everyday as it's expensive, would practicing on a 6 foot snooker table be any useful? I would be able to get used to my cue and improve my play, but what if I play even worse on the big table because I get used to the 6 foot one?

I was thinking, by doing full table-length pots I could improve my short potting on the actual table (long potting isn't a priority yet, need to get better at basic shots first). Are the balls and pockets the same size? (Smaller pockets wouldn't be too bad but I'm not sure about the balls)

I will still go to the club as often as I did before. But I would practice on the small table as a bonus.

Thanks
    Beginner, cheap £15 ash cue
    Highest match breaks:
    22: (Brown, Blue, Pink, Black)
    18: (Green, Brown, Blue, Pink)
    16: (Red, Black, Red, Black)

I'd say there are pros and cons to it. Sometimes I think because the distances are obviously different playing on smaller and larger tables, it can sometimes mean you don't judge the cut shots properly when switching between the two (usually I would say theres a tendency to overcut them when you go onto the bigger table from the smaller table).

But against that any kind of practice has to be of some benefit, rather than standing idle - I did used to have a small table I played on regularly and found it helped more for pool rather than snooker but nowadays just play on the bigger table.

Comment

Well at least you can practice your cue action on the 6 ft table, and personally i think that's the most important thing to practice so i'd say go for it!
      ...cue is our weapon, and we know how to kill...

Comment

I think if you at beginner stage, I can see more positives than negatives.

You should be able to learn about natural potting angles with practice and also learning about angles the cue ball takes after striking the ball.

The main thing to bear in mind is that the balls are usually smaller and also lighter on a small table so if you are learning cue ball control by using alternatives to plain ball striking (e.g. screw, stun, top spin, side etc..) is that the responses on a big table with full size balls will be different.

Practice can only improve your game

Comment

Thanks for the responses, will definitely have to get it
          Highest match breaks:

Comment

Wont help you in my opinion.

Comment

Originally Posted by Mr P View Post
              Wont help you in my opinion.
              Even if it doesn't, it should be pretty fun to be able to play anytime.. As long as it doesn't make it worse
              Highest match breaks:

Comment

i also thinking to get a 6 ft table. i also heard that the ball size and weight s different - so different in play on normal size table.
                but, what if we get a normal set of ball and played in 6ft table? the pocket should be smaller and harder to get the ball in, or too small?
                Name : Syawal
                Playing Level : Super Noob

Comment

Originally Posted by Syawal Roslee View Post
                  i also thinking to get a 6 ft table. i also heard that the ball size and weight s different - so different in play on normal size table.
                  but, what if we get a normal set of ball and played in 6ft table? the pocket should be smaller and harder to get the ball in, or too small?
                  I've got a friend who has a very cheap 6 ft table, when I go and stay there I take a set of UK pub pool balls with me, to use instead of his tiny balls. The pockets are quite tight, but big enough for the balls to drop. To be honest, the pocket size is the least of the table's problems, but I must admit that after a few beers it's quite a lot of fun.

-
                  The fast and the furious,
                  The slow and labourious,
                  All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

Comment

Working...
                  X