Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone else play without a pause on the back swing ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone else play without a pause on the back swing ?

I'm just curious really as to how many other people play without a pause on the back swing ? Ive played snooker for quite a few years, i then stopped and had quite a long time away from the game as i got a bit bored with playing.

Ive started playing again recently and ive had a few people comment on my cue action looks too fast as it has no pause on the back swing, i tried to put a pause in but it just wasn't happening, it felt too un-natural and i couldn't pot for toffee when i tried a pause.

I'm not 100% sure if my cueing action was like this before i stopped and had a long break, i don't think it was to be honest as i'm sure it was a lot smoother, its just what ive adopted since i started playing again.

My back swing is also quite long and quick, its not really ideal for touch shots sometimes.

I guess the question i wanted to ask is should you stay with what you have used for years if it feels comfy ?
    Last edited by The Stig; 9 October 2011, 08:43 PM.
    sigpic

I made my first century without having a pause in my cue action - but soon after I had some coaching and introduced the pause. I actually have two pauses.......Firstly at the front where I check for a final time that im hiting the white ball exactly where I want. Secondly, I pause at the pack to ensure a smooth action and to give me time to get my eyes firmly fixed on the object ball.

If I were you I would try and introduce a pause at the back - particuarly if you look at the object ball when you are striking the cue ball.

Comment

Originally Posted by circle View Post
      I actually have two pauses.......Firstly at the front where I check for a final time that im hiting the white ball exactly where I want. Secondly, I pause at the pack to ensure a smooth action and to give me time to get my eyes firmly fixed on the object ball.
      Ja. Most ppl do. IMHO, the front pause is more important than the back pause as this is what sets you up for good timing/where your eyes are on delivery etc.

As an extreme example, ROS has a front pause, but no way does he have a deliberate pause ( like some 'manufactured' players do ), but at times is smooth as silk. Prob. a bad example too given that Ronnie is a one-off :P
      Last edited by Inoffthered; 20 December 2014, 04:31 PM. Reason: Terrible grammar ( and time lapse ) lol

Comment

i'm definetly not the best player ever but what i can say is that if you want to get a good cue action pause is crucial as it help timing the ball at the right speed .there's alaways players that are good , playing in their "own style" as the likes of dave harold ( praticly no back swing) , joe swail with is spécial stance .... but i think it prevent you from improving faster
        if you watch closely the fastest 147 made by ronnie , you will notice that he play with 2 pauses , as circle said , sometimes it's not that evident but for the shots that require more accuracy and that are not simple he do ( the first pause is the more noticeable in his playing )
        some player got exagerated pause as mac manus

Comment

I don't have a rear pause (although I try and teach it as it's considered 'ideal') however I've always had a front pause just before the final backswing. In recent months I've conciously slowed my backswing right down and I find this really helps, but no matter how hard I try I just don't feel I have the right and comfortable timing when I try the rear pause in my action.

The rear pause is to prevent having a rapid change in direction of the cue. Let's face it, EVERYONE has a rear pause because the cue has to change direction, but a lot of people have a very short one (like myself) and that can introduce head/shoulder movement.

I have found for myself a slower backswing coupled with a quite loose grip has helped a lot and helps me avoid that quick change in direction and stops the head/shoulder movement.

Mark Allen and Peter Ebdon don't use a rear pause either however both use a front pause and I agree that the front pause does help me with my rhythm and timing.

I believe too many players have a rear pause that is too long, especially those who try and introduce one and a natural rear pause should be no more that a half-second or even a bit shorter while the front pause should be up around a second at least, perhaps longer on a difficult pot. Also, don't increase the feathers on a difficult pot just increase the front pause if you can.

Terry
          Terry Davidson
          IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Thanks Terry, their are some useful things their that i'll put into practice, mainly shortening my backswing. I do have a front pause, its just i don't have a noticeable back pause and my cueing action is probably too quick. I'll cut down the feathers as well.

Just one quick question that ive never really known the answer too, its regarding the feathers.

Should your feathers be exactly the same length and power as your final stroke ?
            sigpic

Comment

I have some suggestions...to having a sports training videos are very useful in any kind of athletic activity ,for example in billiard DVD it is very important to watch the videos it can help you to improve their skills.

Comment

stig:

There are 2 main theories on length of feathering. The Terry Griffiths school advocates the feathers should be the same length as the final backswing.

However, when I watch the top players ALL of them have feathers which are shorter than the final backswing but proportional to it (i.e. - on a power shot where the cue will be coming back 8" or so, their feathers are a little longer than a low power shot around the black).

So the Terry Davidson school advocates the feathers should be proportional to the length of the final backswing but don't cut them down too much as feathers which are a little longer do help with the final rhythm on the delivery and will get you used to pulling the cue back straight for those power shots.

Do not do any more than 2 or 3 feathers for any shot, no matter how difficult. On backswing length it is better to use a longer backswing and adjust the acceleration of the cue however the player must be able to pull the cue back straight. If you can pull the cue back absolutely straight then use a longer backswing, but if you can't then you'll either have to work on getting the final backswing straight or else shortening the backswing to a point where it is straight.

Slowing down the final backswing is a big help in keeping it straight and also a looser grip will help. In addition, try to limit the elbow drop at the end of a longer backswing (even though Higgins almost has his arm straight at the end of his backswing) as that will help to keep it striaght

Terry
                Terry Davidson

Comment

After a long break from snooker (20+ years) I don't think I remember what my technique was fully.

I started playing UK 8 ball since May this year and have been experimenting a lot with my cue action and what feels natural. I started off having virtually no pauses after the feathering but have now changed to no feathering at all and just having a good long (front) pause and then deliver.

To my surprise, this "odd" technique works for me as it allows so much more time to focus on aiming down the cue/cueball and then focusing solid on the line of aim to object ball and I'm now playing the best pool since I've started up again.

I also find that without feathering it's one less thing I need to focus on and I seem to cue straighter without it for some reason.

Not sure if this would work well for snooker as sadly I no longer have time to play that game.

I did try to see if I could incorporate the rear pause into my action but it just felt too unnatural to me.... I guess sometimes you cant teach an old dog new tricks

Comment

Getting used to the pause is one of the most difficult things I've tried to implement into my game. After 3 years of trying (keep in mind I'm lazy) I'm only now becoming comfortable with it. And it does help your game. One of the most useful benefits is that it eliminates the jerky stroke which tends to show up under pressure and ruins many a shot.

But once you get comfortable, it's just as easy to execute touch and power shots with it, if not more so.

Comment

Jimmy White is probably the best example of smooth player with no back pause. At his best looks lovely. However I believe that without a backpause any player is always likely to rush through the shot under pressure. The backpause just makes it easier to seperate the backswing and delivery and stop the change of direction becoming rushed. If you cant introduce a backpause then at least make the backswing nice and slow but I would try hard to introduce some sort of backpause first. Hope that helps.
                      coaching is not just for the pros
                      www.121snookercoaching.com

Comment

why do you call it a pause? Its not really>just a change up of gears before cueing forwards.
                        Last edited by 1blonde; 13 October 2011, 10:02 PM.

Comment

It is really a 'stop' or pause in the movement of the cue. You are only referring to what's called the 'rear pause' however there are actually 4 separate 'stops' in the ideal technique and for want of a better term they are called 'initial pause' when the bridge hand hits the table with the cue in the address position (very short). 'front pause' just before the final backswing but after the feathers(1-2sec). 'rear pause' to disconnect the backswing from the delivery and smoothly change direction of the cue (.5-1sec), and last but for sure not least is the pause at the end of the delivery when the player should stay still for a second or two, called the 'end pause' (my own term, should be at least 1sec).

Terry
                          Terry Davidson

Comment

Del Hill school of thought is he doesn't care what rear pause you have but it's essential you have the front pause.

I found even a slight rear hesitation introduces stabs and jerks and associated unwanted body movement. The slower the cloth (hence need for power) or more pressure on the shot, the worse the problems will be. I visualise my movement to be the front pause followed by a slow backswing (length determined by power required), and a smooth change in direction to accelerate through the white ball and beyond. The smooth crankshaft-like change in direction with follow-through elbow drop is my 'dummy'. Works for me!

I don't understand how Terry can say the purpose of the rear pause is to prevent a rapid change in direction because starting delivery from zero speed is more rapid than accelerating from a slight forward movement without rear pause.

P.S. keeping the back swing to the absolute minimum required increases accuracy of striking according to Del, but I reckon too little and back come the stabs on the power shots. As he says, you have to be an 'artist'.
                            Last edited by limecc; 21 October 2011, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Slightly off topic, Del Hill on YouTube talks about combining cue and wrist action to generate power. I'm assuming not ever shot?

Comment

Working...
                              X