Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Beginner] How to get a good straight cueing action?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Beginner] How to get a good straight cueing action?

I am a beginner in playing Snooker and i noticed that my cueing action is not straight.

I often put a little side in the shot and i also hit the cueball not where i aimed.
    Additional i often don't hit the cueball where i aimed.
    So a wanted screw shot becomes a stunshot because i didnt hit the cueball where i aimed. The same with a follow shot

My preshot routine is like that:

Aim while standing.

Walk into the line of sight.

Going into the stance.

Bringing the Cue to the Cueball while aiming the objectball.

Start to swing while watching the spot i want to hit on the cueball.

Frontpause and reaim the objectball.

Final backswing while my eyes are on the cueballspot.

Backpause while bringing the eyes to the objectball again.

Strike with the eyes on the objectball.

I noticed that i hit the cueball where i want to when i dont aim for the objectball after the backpause. But i have the feeling i am cueing kind of blind when i have my eyes on the cueball when executing the shot.

I am interested in some practice routines to get a nice straight cueing action.

Perhaps anyone can help here?

Thank you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWxwI..._order&list=UL

5:30 onwards.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWxwI..._order&list=UL

5:30 onwards.

Comment

Originally Posted by millwall32 View Post
        You meant 4:30 onwards I think.
        "Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error"
        - Linus Pauling

Comment

Tomhet:

All of that is fine, but there are only 4 things a player must do and pay attention to in order to improve and develop a straight cue action. They are:

1. Do not allow ANY upper body movement AT ALL from the time the bridge hand hits the table until you have completed the delivery.
          2. Loose grip (loose enough so the cue will slide EASILY through the grip hand when in the address position).
          3. Slow backswing (must be slow enough that the player can control it and keep it ABSOLUTELY STRAIGHT).
          4. Drive the cue THROUGH the cueball, accelerating well beyond the cueball and ideally until the hand hits the chest. Stay still with the head down at the end of the delivery with the hand against the chest.

Everything else is just fine tuning. The four separate pauses help to keep the rhythm consistent which could be point five if a player feels his timing and rhythm are off. In addition try and NOT turn the wrist during the delivery.

Terry
          Terry Davidson
          IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Thank you all for your replys.
            This is very helpful.

I think setting some goals seems helpful.

So my short term goal is to have a nice straight cueing action in the beginning of 2012.

The long term goal is to be able to hit 20-30 point breaks at the end of 2012.

This is a great forum.

Thanks again.

Comment

A thing that is helping me ALOT:

Use your cue shaft to aim and check if all is in line: chin, elbow, contact point.. imagine it hitting the ball, if it fell wrong its probably offline, correct it.

Sometimes i care too much on technic and forget about that basic tip that can make all the difference.

Comment

Just one question.

I am righthanded. But i am cueing with my left hand. i dont know why but i am having a better overall feeling when cueing with my left hand. but specific to the cue action i have a better feeling with my right hand, with the right hand the overall feeling is not so good as with my left.
                sounds weird, i know

mainly i play with my left hand. but i am thinking about a complete change to the right hand and train hard to get a good overall feeling.

is it recommended or a must to play with the right hand when one is a righthander?

Comment

Huh...I'd be willing to bet there are a lot of players out there that wish they had your 'problem'. Keep playing and practicing with both hands as it will be a real good thing as you become a better player. (See Ronnie and a few others)

Terry
                  Terry Davidson
                  IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Working...
                  X