Confidence and Keeping relaxed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confidence and Keeping relaxed

Hey everyone, im currently having problems with my conifidence and keeping relaxed in a match, i dont really have the money to get a coach to help me with my problems at the moment. So i was wandering if anyone has any advice to build my confidence and not getting anrgy at things as it is doing damage to my results recently.

Thanks,
    Liam

Confidence is something that comes from believing in your cueing technique. To get masterful confidence you must have the belief you will pot every ball you attempt (which not many of us can say). It's either that or self-delusion which might work too

Terry
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
      Confidence is something that comes from believing in your cueing technique. To get masterful confidence you must have the belief you will pot every ball you attempt (which not many of us can say). It's either that or self-delusion which might work too

Terry
      Cheers Terry I will keep that in mind

Comment

its not as expensive as people think to get some coaching which still could be a good idea. I also offer different things at the club i have taken over to help with confidence and nerves, you can like the club on facebook if you search for padiham snooker centre and also have a look at my site at http://www.mattandrewsmentoring.org/...onfidence.html id be more than happy to talk and help if thats useful.

Comment

i always tell myself after i miss a shot..don worry i will get the next one..

Comment

Nick at the Snooker Gym says that one avenue for gaining confidence in this sport can come from knowledge. I think he is right. I have increased my understanding of cue action, body mechanics, ball striking, spin, and more. Every time I do, I find that I become more confident in match play because I understand the underlying Physics/Angles better than I did before. It might not seem related, but when you are faced with a twitchy shot or need to play a short perfectly in match play, the knowledge will help you.

One of my m8's also suggests that you learn to change and maintain your own tips - again contributing towards your understanding of the game and increasing your confidence.

Never stop seeking to learn more about snooker - there is a lifetime of knowledge available. Read all the posts in the coaching forum, watch youtube videos, download coaching dvd's, watch cue action videos (even from pool), and listen to commentary in UK snooker matches - Willie, Dennis, Joe, Davis all have sage advice.
            Mayur Jobanputra, Snooker Coach and Snooker Enthusiast
            My Snooker Blog: www.snookerdelight.com

Comment

I think one needs to have a lot of experience playing under pressure, meaning real tough competitions where every mistake is punished. If you only ever play guys who can not put you under any pressure, then it will not be possible to improve at all.

It is normal to feel pressure at competitions. Especially at those that are rare, like bigger tournaments, etc. One needs to be exposed to pressure as often as possible if he wants to learn to play his best game under such conditions. Try not to play casual games as they kill anyone's competitive edge. Of course, some guys learn to cope with pressure very well with very little experience and don't have a lot of problems bottling it (although they crack sometimes too, everybody does). Others may need hundreds of competitions in them to even start bottling less.

Mental game is a long and complex subject.

Comment

Originally Posted by ace man View Post
                I think one needs to have a lot of experience playing under pressure, meaning real tough competitions where every mistake is punished. If you only ever play guys who can not put you under any pressure, then it will not be possible to improve at all.

It is normal to feel pressure at competitions. Especially at those that are rare, like bigger tournaments, etc. One needs to be exposed to pressure as often as possible if he wants to learn to play his best game under such conditions. Try not to play casual games as they kill anyone's competitive edge. Of course, some guys learn to cope with pressure very well with very little experience and don't have a lot of problems bottling it (although they crack sometimes too, everybody does). Others may need hundreds of competitions in them to even start bottling less.

Mental game is a long and complex subject.
                it can work in both ways some people find that they struggle because of having a lot of big pressure games. its far more to do with the person and what is going on at that time

Comment

Working...
                X