Recent Coaching Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recent Coaching Experience

I have been toying with the idea of having some more coaching for a while now so I finally bit the bullet and went to see Lee Martin at Anderton today Sunday 30th October 2011.
    To give you an idea of my standard, I can and do get breaks of 30's on a fairly regular basis and 40's less often. My highest break being 59.
    I was early for the coaching session so we first had a game which I presume was a way of seeing what I was like. Lee immediately told me my good points - straight cueing, good approach, aiming and the basics.
    Once that was out of the way we set down to more specifics and a closer scrutiny of my all round game etc..
    Without boring..I came away after over two hours (the session should have been 1.5 hours) with about seven topics to look at which if I can master I am sure will help me progress.
    The reason for my post is to say If you are thinking of going for coaching ---, Do it, and do it sooner rather than later, it doesn't cost the earth and it can only help.
    Today was the first time I have met Lee and he was great, he has a quiet manner, a positive attitude, listens and gives you the feeling that he can help.

Will be great to see how you perform following your 1st lesson . Let us know how you get on .
    Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Spot on 57varieties!

a few years ago I was always ranked between place 32 and 64 in Belgium, since 2 years I receive coaching and (mental) support! Last few weeks I noticed some problems with my cue action, my coach noticed it (in fact I was holding the but of the cue about 10 cms too high!) just to give you an example how quick problems might get solved. Just to show off that I am currently ranked 21 ;-)

but in any sport a coach is usefull if you want to improve!

Comment

57:

Not sure if Lee mentioned it or not (and you can check with him if you like) but only work on ONE thing at a time, no more. Concentrate on each point Lee made in turn and master each one is sequence. This is especially important with anything involving dynamic movement (backswing, feathering, delivery, etc.).

Terry
        Terry Davidson
        IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

out of interest, how much does he charge? the one i was thnking of going to wanted a fortune (min 2 hour first lesson at 35 quid an hour + the table costs as well.....) at his home club!

Comment

There is no substitue for practice but I have to agree and think if a player can take a little from all the good players you meet along the way even on this forum (Terry/Gavin etc etc.) for example then they have to improve.

My advice would be play better and better player than yourself all the time and do not stick to your mates or you will get lazy and your game will stand still. Dont be afraid of getting tanked 10 - 0 by some pro. A result like that will often do you more good than winning a lesser player easily as getting beat makes you more determined to improve. After all Ronnie O Sullivan and ALL the other pro's used to be ball pickers too before they got good.

Players MUST move on and play better players or they will just stay at a level.

If you are in Belgium then check out Chris Henry. He's one of the best coaches in the world that guy without a doubt. He'll be around the PTC they are having over there if you are playing in it. Just a quick note. He has coached Stephen Hendry, Peter Ebdon, Jimmy White, Luka Bressy and a few hundred others. He can play a bit himself too, numerous high centuries which I think goes a long way when teaching others.

\hope that helps luchzak

Comment

Can I ask you Andy who you were going to see? Seems quite expensive to me but at the end of the day I suppose if you see a coach and it benefits your game then most people dont mind paying.
              coaching is not just for the pros
              www.121snookercoaching.com

Comment

Hopefuly I will have something positive to say!

Comment

Terry, thanks, we had a really good conversation about all manner of things and as soon as I came away I made a note of everything I could, before I forgot. Good point you make and it is something I do when I practice. I do 20 minuts on each theme. I find it also helps to keep the interest going particularly if you can't master one thing and start to get frustrated.I will move on and perhaps go back to the other task later or another day when I'm fresh.
                  Andy to answer your point, Lee charges £25. for the first session which lasts one and half hours and then £15 per hour after that. He works from Adlington near Chorley in the Parish club of a church and there was only the two of us there so no distractions and he works Saturdays and Sundays

Comment

Terry, thanks, we had a really good conversation about all manner of things and as soon as I came away I made a note of everything I could, before I forgot. Good point you make and it is something I do when I practice. I do 20 minuts on each theme. I find it also helps to keep the interest going particularly if you can't master one thing and start to get frustrated.I will move on and perhaps go back to the other task later or another day when I'm fresh.
                    Andy to answer your point, Lee charges £25. for the first session which lasts one and half hours and then £15 per hour after that. He works from Adlington near Chorley in the Parish club of a church and there was only the two of us there so no distractions and he works Saturdays and Sundays

Comment

Originally Posted by CoachGavin View Post
                      Can I ask you Andy who you were going to see? Seems quite expensive to me but at the end of the day I suppose if you see a coach and it benefits your game then most people dont mind paying.

it was at swinton

Comment

Originally Posted by 57varieties View Post

cheers, seems good value that

Comment

Ive got my first coaching session for a long time with Bob Hill on Friday. £20 an hour, plus table cost.
                          Unclevit C Brand - CueGuru Tip.

Comment

My charges are normally $50hr (no table charges when at my facility) which equates to about 30GBP but I include video analysis for the initial 2hr session and provide the student with a DVD showing what he initially came in with and then what he takes away along with example drills to work on for the next session and then I follow that up with a point-by-point email explaining exactly how to proceed and what to work on.

For my sessions I gave in Gloucester I charged 20GBP plus 5GBP for the table so 45GBP for a 2hr session, but no video analysis available. I did have a camera available but got too lazy I guess.

Terry
                            Terry Davidson
                            IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

£20 per hour for adults, £15 for under 16's. Recommend 2 hour sessions for adults so thats £40. No table fees and I work in a private room with no distractions. All players get a written report of the lesson with pictures/analysis. Have heard tales of coaching costs of £40 per hour without table costs and no report or feedback which I think is a rip off unless you are a celebrity coach ) If anyone is interested please get in touch.
                              coaching is not just for the pros
                              www.121snookercoaching.com

Comment

Working...
                              X